Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Its 3/5/2010 and I have driven+236,000m
By Jeremy

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

On 3/5/2010 I have driven 236,000 plus miles in this car. Over 22K/yr. I have had to do some maintenance but nothing more than usual. The only major repair is the new transmission at 170K. This has been an extremely reliable car throughout and I obviously do a lot of driving and has been comfortable to travel in, I am 6'5" 260lbs so I need some space and this car has plenty. Radio works fine, Blows cold AC, down here in Florida that helps.I had to car in Ohio for the first 10 yrs of its life and the ice/snow/salt did nothing to the outside or anything. Did well in the snow could not be happier with this car overall.I mean everyone has something to complain about but I got my $'s worth

Favorite Features

The ride is nice, the design was also nice.I loved the head room and power seats.The factory radio and speakers are still kickin'. I really liked almost everything.

Suggested Improvements

my gear shift knob has come off i wish those were made to last longer than 236,000 miles......LOL for real this is a well made car. I am gonna try and make tit to 300K or higher. Everyone thinks I am nuts but its not giving me any trouble. My driver seat is going out b/c I sat in it a lot....

Great while it lasted
By weakweek85

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this wonderful car off of a neighbor down the street. it had 138000 miles on it initially. ran great for a few months, but had a lot of brake problems. one day without warning when i as still under the 3000 mile mark between oil changes, my engine blew out, leaving me devastated. the car died at 147000 miles. i had no warning lights to tell me something was wrong, until the oil pressure light went on AFTER it died. i guess its hit or miss with these cars

Favorite Features

smooth drive, comfort, pickup.

Suggested Improvements

brakes, build a stronger engine next time, maybe warning lights that actually warn you when something is wrong.

Good Car
By LJF75

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I've taken good care of this car, and it took good care of me. Replaced the fuel pump 2003. Replaced the battery twice. Putting on the 3rd set of tires. Need a new CD changer, but hey, 130,000 miles in 11 years.

Favorite Features

Comfortable. Low maintenance. No monthly payment.

Suggested Improvements

Plug-in hybrid running on biodiesel.

Amazing Little Car
By Paul

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I recently bought my 1999 Chevy Malibu for $1,500. For a High School Student the car is an amazing little car. I run it hard and it gets a consistent 23mpg in town. I love the looks of the car and it cleans up really well. Only issue with my car is the gas gauge doesn't work, but I can live without it. It hasn't given me or the previous owner any issues and its pushing 160,000 miles. Great car and I would recommend it to anyone!

Favorite Features

It handles great, get up and go, good looking, peppy little car! Safe!

Suggested Improvements

Gas Guage would be nice, quieter ride, brakes.

Get a warranty
By jl

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2003 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has 91,000. My Corsica had the head crack at 59,000 miles, so I bought this. The mechanic at the dealership told me to get a warranty because I would have the intake gasket go bad in a year. Three months later, he was right. Two weeks after that, the fuel pump. I am now on its third intake gasket, third alternator, second water pump, fourth set of brake rotors, and the list goes on. The $1300.00 warranty paid for itself twice. The blower resistor also went bad, causing only two speeds of the defroster to work. Now I think the freon needs charged for a second time. When the car works, it works well.

Favorite Features

Smooth drive and good pick up.

Suggested Improvements

No Dex-Cool. Better coolant system and longer lasting fuel pump.