1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Awesome car, never had trouble
By raavango on 01/08/09 04:41 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Awsesome car, never had any issue up until the 160000 miles that I put on the vehicle

Don't buy one New or Used
By Chevy Malibu Garbage on 11/27/08 13:31 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I brought my 99 Malibu LS in September 2007 after my beloved Saturn was totaled. So far in the shop more then 17 times in a row! I should have bought that Saturn L200 in the lot! So far 2 head gaskets, radio knobs fell off, stalls out when ever it wants, under powered V6! Gas guzzler, paint uninspiring! Never like Chevy or GM but the only GM I will buy again is Saturn! I also replaced my starter 2 times and the keyless entry broke as well. Seat comfort gets uncomforable after driving! Now I'm saving for a 2009 car but definitely will not be a Malibu!

On the Fence
By klutz27 on 10/26/08 20:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

There are things I love about my car, like the get up and go on the highway others I hate. I have the Opal blue, and with the coolant issue, FL sunshine and bug issues, the paint on my hood is toast (talked to others with GM color who've had same issue) Like others I've had the coolant leak,but no brake problems, I'm on the 3rd A/C switch since I bought with 8000 miles on it. (program car)had the tensioner problem and gasket issue and the ABS light issue. I have a leak somewhere in the windshield fluid reservoir no one can find (& labor to pull it is way too much now.) CD's get condensation with the A/C on hi (I'm in FL) and now will not work at all. Was great as 1st car, but ready for new

Malibu
By Waggs2008 on 07/26/08 20:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 99 Malibu for $400. I couldn't pass it up even though I read on here before I got it, and so far mine has had head gasket problems. It runs good and I think the v6 has enough power. The car was wrecked but put back together somewhat when I got it. Still needs paint job and windshield. The CD player plays when it wants too. Same with the sunroof, it's power and it doesn't wanna close all the time. Handles pretty good. Rust around the gas cap.

Not Recommened
By clarkj_18 on 07/03/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I got my 99 Chevy Malibu in 2002 with about 110,000 miles on it. It now has 170,000 on it. Within these past few years I have replaced more in this car then i had paid for it. The first thing i had to replace was the starter, followed by the headgasket, radiator, timing chain, brakes at least 4 times in a year. Hoses which are cheap and are mostly easy to replace, but I've had a couple go. This car is very comfortable and roomy but in my experience is not reliable at all.

Ol' Mally
By carluver on 06/21/08 18:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Got this car brand new. currently has 140k mileage. Great acceleation with the v6! Very roomy, great car for the price! Have had some problems as it's gotten older like the fans only work on high levels, ac turns on and off front speakers got blown out due to eccesive use. Recently replaced the alternator. Had one coolant leak but overall, it has been very good to me

1999 Malibu
By Lacy on 06/17/08 12:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought mine used 2 years ago. I am coming up on 100,000 miles and have had no serious problems yet. The brakes are going to need to be changed soon (now) and I have replaced one headlight bulb and a Serpentine belt that was on there when I bought it and snapped because It was too small in the first place. I like that it is so roomy but I think the design is quite ugly. I have a feeling that I will be running into a ton of problems in a few thousand more miles, despite the fact that I take excellent care of the car. *crosses fingers*

So Sorry Now
By So Sad on 04/08/08 17:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1999 Malibu used. It was a toss up between a Malibu and an Alero. I should have gone with the Alero. The first three years were great. These last three years have been nothing but repair after repair. I have maxed out credit cards and my Malibu is still not fixed. It has been sitting in my garage since September of 2007. I don't dare drive it. I can not be guaranteed that it will start or that it will not stall while I am driving, as it has done on a number of occasions. I can't afford to have my mechanic try to fix what is wrong, even though it should be fixed by now after all the money he has charged me. He can't figure it out either.

Lemon
By CarGuy on 03/06/08 15:40 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This was my first car ever, and what a mistake it was! I bought it for pretty cheap, but the repairs got me. I've had to put in a new intake manifold, new heater, new fuel injector, new alternator, and most recently a new transmission, plus a ton of little things. I bought the car for $3000, and I have put $2500 dollars into it in under 2 years! The car itself isn't to bad when it's running.

Beware
By dave on 11/03/07 19:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Replaced manifold gaskets twice due to coolant leaks - understand a class action suit is being considered. Alternator replaced. Engine light signals camshaft clearance issue. Rust under the gas cap - mentioned by other 1998-2000 Malibu owners. Ask aftermarket companies what some of the best selling brake rotors and struts fit.