1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Reliable
By KellyG on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have enjoyed my experience with the Malibu so far. It's affordable and reliable. I have been looking for another vehicle for the past couple of months but because the Malibu doesn't hold it's value I am upside down on it. So, I will be stuck with it for a while. I would recommend this car but only if one can get it at a real good price, since it depreciates quickly.

I like my 99 malibu
By gm_lover on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My Malibu was one-year off-lease when I bought it in 2000. It's running very well without problems. Now the mileage is 40000Miles.

never again
By JMAN on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I BOUGHT THIS CAR THINKING I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE 36K MILES LATER I AM TRYING TO GET SOME WHAT OF MY MONEY BACK TO BUY SOMTHING FOR LONG TERM USE THE CAR ISNT HOLDING UP BROKEN RADIO 3X SUSPENSION IS SHOT THE BAKES ARE GARBAGE THE CAR INTERIOR MAKES NOISE WHILE DRIVING AC TURNS ON AND OFF HORN BROKE AND THE RADIO IS STILL BROKE BECAUSE CHEVY SERVICE IS SO BAD I DONT HAVE THE ENERGY TO GET AGRAVATED ANYMORE

NEVER BUY AMERICAN AGAIN!
By MidwestMalibu on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I used to be a fan of american motor cars until I bought this one. With a NEW ENGINE, A/C, Starter, Battery, Sprayer nozzel, seat belt latch, Trunk Carpet, lights weren't focused, and some other items in a period of one year I can firmly say that this car is undeniably a P.O.S., Toyota/Honda here I come. P.S. Now the car is starting to randomly stall, a common problem, one that GM refuses to recognize and fix for free, too bad they didn't learn from Saturn, the company they destroyed.

Malibu pure out sucks
By disappointed in GM on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought it at 0 miles. 47k now. CV boots replaced twice. Frontend retorqued. Still rattles. Alternator went out w/o warning. Replaced brakes & rotors -14k. Center front arm rest broke. A/C goes on and off by it self. Engine light came on. Was O2 sensor. Engine light came on again and started skipping but only when you first crank it. Random misfire. Replaced plugs, plug wires, 3 coils, and coolant sensor. 3 mechanics (including Chevy dealer) checked it for blown head gasket, cracked head and everything and found nothing. They can't figure it out.

a piece of crap!!!
By will_never_buy_GM on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new, in less than 3 years and less than 26,000 miles, 3 tires are gone, the fourth is about to give up, one of the aluminum wheel has severe rust on it, the A/C will shut off by itself, sent it to dealership three times, but the problem has never been solved. The warranty is about to expire and GM is not willing to do anything about it, the only thing their customer service did is to ask me to send it back to the dealership again, nothing was said about the warranty.

Wow, surprized by the # of complaints
By acrobat on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I am shopping for a new car now. I am considering others but keep looking at the Malibu for the value. I have been very satisfied with my 99 Malibu. It is the first Chev. I have ever purchased. I am in sales and need a car that has room and still be easy to park. I am still on my original brakes. Like the ride, gas mileage and performance for a 20,000 or less auto. My only proplem was a leak under windshield. Fixed on first try.

Bad, Bad Malibu!!!
By badmalibu on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Malibu 3yrs. Brakes replaced 3x's/yr. I'm do for a brake job now after only 4 mths! I only get about 20K mi. on 60K mi. tires. I have 93K mi. on my car & purchased at least 3 new set of tires since buying the car. 60K mi. * 3 set of tires = 180K mi. total. Not including the original tires that was replaced around 30K mi. Maybe we should all complain to GMC & get a recall on the brake system & the suspension for the tires. CD player doesn't work anymore. Get ERR each time CD is inserted & the systems kicks the CD back out. Sometimes sensor light comes on & I would have to turn the engine off, & restart the car hoping it would reset.

Would buy again
By sargeantcm on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Great car, especially for a first-time car owner. Brakes are somewhat poor, although personally I don't believe the easily warped rotors are any more the car's fault than Midas' parts. Otherwise great, good acceleration, solid fuel mileage (25/32) and convenient interior design (cupholders, console, etc.)

Affordable Luxury
By Maribel Munoz on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is a beautiful and an affordable car. Great for those people who like luxury cars but can't afford them. It's very spacious and drives like your floating on air. I recently got into a car accident and lost my car. But I will definately purchase another Chevy Malibu!