1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Broke Down in Fla
By Broke Down on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought New. Have 34K on it now. Broken Down and Stranded 3x. 2x out of town. AC stopped working fixed. Ignition broke so car would not start. Alternator died, 3 weeks prior battery died and had towed to dealer and specifically told them check the alternator they said it was fine, they were wrong. Engine collant leaks no one knows why. Rotars Bad and so are tires. This car is a Lemon!!!!!

Reality
By Talley on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This is a hihg value/price ratio car, nonetheless quality could be improved much more; "abs" platic used in the interior seems and says "el cheapo". A/C very erratic, had to fix, change control panel US$500.00; alternator give up w/o warning US$500.00 repair; gas guzzler. noisy front suspension. bland tires.

Great Mid Size Vehicle
By Jolly Wally on 09/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Pebbles and I just love it! Our Malibu was very affordable, gets great gas mileage, and has all the power features you would expect on a more expensive automobile. It has the euro sport look, rides nice, and plenty of head and leg room. Thanks Chevrolet! We sold our foreign car, which by the way, sits very low to the ground; the seats in our Malibu are more comfortable.

No love affair here!
By monkeyjaws on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

The AC on this car is loud and intermittent...had it fixed once and drove off by the time I got home (9 miles)it was shutting off and on again. The brakes are awful on the interstate, feels like the car is vibrating itself out of alignment. Tires wear quickly too. The upgrades CD system is very nice. The sun roof is wonderful...a fun car to drive...mechanically very reliable.

Quit your whinning...this is a good car!
By 8 Handicap on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I am surprised to see all of the negative comments about this car. The car handles great, has terrific acceleration, and is very comfortable on long trips. We have only had one service issue with the car and the dealership repaired it because we bought an extended warranty. Just a little advise to buyers of American cars...BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY...you are going to have problems. The only service I have had to pay for is new front disk break rotors and pads at 60,000 miles (which is excellent). Overall this has been a great car for my family. Malibu's don't hold their value,but they will give you good service if you take good care of them.

No quality for the money.
By Iwant reliabl brakes on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 95 corola has 100% more quality than the malibu. after 60,000 kms, on 4th set of rotors. Ac is querky as well. Good: Interior is roomy and engine is great for passing. Bad: Brakes, overall quality is bad, poor gas milage. The corola interior looks like a $23,500 car and the malibu interior looks like a $17,500 car. Some of the inside molding won't fit/stay together.

Not A Happy Camper Today
By raleigh on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 7,000 miles on it from dealer. At <30,000 had to have the rear brakes (rotors/pads) replaced ($300).The tie rods were replaced at same time (under warranty).Today, I have 36,400 miles and am having alternator replaced ($400)after putting a brand new battery in last week ($75) and also the AC switch panel which may be why your a/c is shutting off and on too)$200. 400 miles ago this would have been covered under warranty. Not today. I'm not very happy with my Malibu. Oh yeah, did I mention the tires that were practically shot at 17K. am now totally convinced I should never have bought a Chevrolet

I WILL NEVER BUY A GM AGIAN!!!
By Very Disapointed on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 5k on it. Had problems with starting. Had to take to dealer 3 times. Replaced breaks at 20k rotors and pads. At 40k Transmition started shifting really hard. Engine light keeps comming on. I have done my best to take care of this car. I though maybe I was the only one having problems untill I found this web site. Used to be a GM guy Now I switched to Ford. Traded in the Chevy and got a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer. Hope this will be a better car. I will never buy GM agian.

Is it the car or it the reviewers?
By Pliskin on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I was surprised to see all the really negative comments here. I've had my Malibu for 4 years, and while I've only put 20K miles on it.I've had really no major problems.Yes, the tire ware is a bit faster than usual. Yes ,the AC cuts off for seemingly no reason (although if you turn the blower off and then back on, it works fine for another 15 minutes and then you do it again). Yes, the build quality could be better but the price/features ratio on this car is fantastic. It's not a Lexus folks...it is a plain car that has just what you need and nothing you don't.

Malibu
By cindy on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

had many problems with the car in various areas: from cup holder cracking to a/c fans working off and on spontaneously to internal security system activating (not letting me crank the car for 12 minutes) when I was just trying to crank it, etc. Now I am concerned that the seat belt on the driver's side isn't 'clicking' or working very well.