Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

nice car
By sandra

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for over three years and I have never had any problems with it.

Get up and go!

Use better plastic mat'l on the interior,no more wood grain on the dash board PLEASE!

Good car for the money
By maxlibbee

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Malibu LS. Had to spend $1600 on some stuff at $28,000 including brakes which annoyed me. Car has good pep, and gets clsoe to 30 mog on highway. It cathes around 22 mpg around town. I also had to replace altenator at 38k which also annoyed me. Cost another $500 at dealer. I have two teenagers, I have taught to drive using this car. It has been fine

Pep Highway gas mileage

Better Brakes--Like Toyota

CHEVY........MAYBE
By Annette Carey

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

1999 - Had problems in the beginning....new brakes, new suspension and problems with the fuel pump. Had the extended warranty so no problem. Got fixed no charge. The paint job is one to be improved. Brush up against and scratch. Over all, since all problems were fixed runs like a champ. Had for 5 years and now giving to my teenage son. Always kept maintenace up....a good thing. Hopefully...things have improved and would purchase again if so.

Sports package is excellent.

Brakes, exterior paint job, molding, glove box needs to be secure, suspension and fuel pump.

happy to sad in 5 mins.
By once happy

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This was what I thought was a great car. Only owned for 1 year and had NO problems other than break repair and ABS sensor. But.... all of a sudden knocking... rod, need new engine, intake gasket leaking, all bad news... 5000 to repair or trade. Three weeks ago I would have bought another... today it would be difficult to get me into the chevy dealership...going back to the Taurus! The Malibu was "FUN" while it lasted!

great gas milage, get up and go. Nice interior design.

dump the engine or fix the problem!

Bad Engine
By powell d

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

the engine is advertised to last 100,000 before changing the spark plugs. don't beleive it. this engine is built on theory. the designers don't even know how to fix them. my engine has 55,000 miles and i already have to have it replaced. I change my oil and did everything GM suggest. this car is a Looser. GM built a good car with a low grade engine. Be ready to spend repair money. Rating = 3

nice ride

GM can build a much better engine as soon as the warr,ty expired my engine shut down.the dealer Lasorsa, charged$800.00 just to tell me i need a new engine which will cost $5000. I should have listen and brought a Toyo.