1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Good Car
By ask666 on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

No hassle - minor issues but a good car to have

why me!!
By disgruntled on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

brakes+ rotors that fail after 40000,turn signals that failed mysteriously but only worked at the dealership coolant that goes down continually but never leaks(head gasket gm?)alternator failed after 2 YEARS?!! (come on!!)rattles from who knows where or why and the ac(check the switch, its defective!!!)why such a vehicle is foisted on people who shell out hard earned money is beyond me...imports are looking better and better every day...a horse and buggy are more reliable

Malibu a Reliable Car
By camaroz on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Our Malibu has been extremely reliable. No mechanical defects. One minor interior trim issue fixed under warranty. Truly a great mid-size car at a great price. We have the 2.4 liter 4 cyl. Not as responsive as the 6cyl but, a little better mileage and the deal we got was great.

WHAT A GREAT CAR!!! I LOVE IT:)
By Johnny b good on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

We bought our Malibu brand new, have not had 1 repair done to it since day 1, other than to change the oil and rotate the tires( which are still original) and yes the brakes are fine, a/c is working great. Great handling car, super fuel mileage, comfortable road car. Does great in snow/ice, when other japanese cars are spinning their wheels on snow trying to get going, I'll go right on by them. I love it.

Malibou has worst breaking system
By barr0104 on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

The brakes on this car were awful, the inside breakpad was wore down to the steel and the outside pad was at 85%, I have heard nothing but bad things about these aluminum break pads.

Malibu: Reliable Car Packed w/ Features
By kevrupp on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is very comfortable on long trips. You can pay several thousand more for less features and what some think is better quality (Camry or Accord), but I don't think they are worth it. The Malibu has proven to be reliable as far as ratings are concerned and for transportation for me over the 7 months that I have owned it. Another thing to consider when buying a car in this class is the price to repair it. The parts needed to repair a Camry or Accord can be very expensive compared to the Malibu, when something does go wrong.

Bad Chevy
By a. hickman on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car brand new in September 1999. Two month later I had to replace the rotor. Half way through the year I replace two tires. Give I put a lot of miles, but I have been in the shop a lot of times replacing belts, alternator, and etc. Right now I'm having trouble shifting into gear on a cold start but dealer can't find anything wrong. The car is very noisy and I lost value because of the drop in price. I'm switching to Toyota. No more Chevy.

Simply put: a good value
By Mark T. on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

It's about as good a deal as you can get on a decent midsized car. I would advise people looking to buy a Mally to go in after they're trying to get the new model year cars out there, you'll get a great deal. IF YOU ARE BUYING USED, I would advise you to go after a low-mileage Malibu. The Edmunds rating for 99 Mallys is real low, yet my car has been a dream (22K miles). I've only had to fix: front brake rotors, burned out tail-light (twice), broken seatbelt buckle. All under warranty. And that's it! My Mally has been everything I've asked for and has never, ever failed me. Love a Malibu and it won't let you down.

Wouldn't buy one again
By bruce2 on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought what was to be an excellent driving and dependable car from an elderly lady. turned out to have a lot of problems in the next 8 months. Ball bearing in front suspention needed to be replaced w/ only 40000 miles and head gasket leaked at only 38000 miles. Bad shocks.

Big disappointed GM fan
By markchevugh on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought with 0 miles. Car ran great for 30000 miles then fell apart. Tires at 28000, windshield wiper motor ($300) computer ($1000), 2 weeks in the shop, a/c on/off as it wants, dealer that can't figure out what is wrong, now the transmission is acting up big time - won't shift out of 4th. Did I mention poor resale value? Looks like Christmas with all the warning lights on my dash....