1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Ho-Hum
By Auggie_24 on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Having this vehicle for two years has been great. It is sleek enough for pre- baby years, and trustworthy enough since we have had baby.

My Bu
By Chellie on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My Malibu is perfect but I would NOT reccommend going to the dealer I went to.

Car Just Sucks!
By Spent on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This car I bought new and whatta mistake. Repairs, Uncomfortable, you name it. Whatta junker. Buy a Honda or Toyota and don't feel guilty. USA car makers should be embarrased for GM.

I got a 'lemon'
By phylli on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Nothing but trouble since I purchased car. Have replaced starter, gas tank removed for parts replacement due to leak, now shocks (struts) are sounding terrible. I'm getting rid of the lemon.

WORST CAR EVER!
By y? on 05/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Looks like a nice car for the price...except the price continues to increase in repairs. Bought it with 39k on it, now has almost 48k, one year later. So far, replaced whole front brake system, tire rod, a/c switch, belt in engine has been replaced twice by dealer and still squeals, rear wheel drum leaking, engine light has been on and off for 6 months. Apparently, everything that everyone has been complaining about for the past few years has gone unnoticed by GM. Owners seem to have all the same problems, which makes it a defect and not a user error...AND IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED YET, THE VALUE OF THIS CAR IS DECLINING RAPIDLY, SO DUMP IT NOW!

BEWARE OF ELECTRICAL CIRCUITRY
By robnetzero on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Overall this car was a pretty good car. My wife bought it was a year old. Most of the problems have been brake issues. That is one aspect to the car that needs work. My wife drove this car for work (real estate), and enjoyed it overall, but yesterday, her dashboard caught on fire and she was able to pull over and get out of the car, but the car went up in flames on the side of the road. If considering buying this car, get the electrical cicuitry checked.

car sucks
By ag on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

-it is not fast -problems after problems after problems with the care - we used the warrantly to the limits -I had the whole engine just stop working one day and the guy from warranty asked me if I had gas in my car

Horrible-DO NOT BUY!!!!
By Blizz on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I've been the owner of a 1999 Malibu for less then one year. I've had problems with it since day 1. I've spent over $1,500 in repairs so far. I will never by a Malibu or a Chevy as long as I live. Besides being unreliable it is not a comfortable car to drive. Its makeshift features help give the appearence of a luxury car however that presumption is quickly corrected.

OK Car: Need better Warranty/Services
By Bitter Customer on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought new in May 1999. Horn didn't work after 2 months. Dealer take 3 days to replaced whole system, broke tilt handle during repair, so have to replace that. Steering wheel been screaking eversince. Car have no major problem for almost a year after that. Then all the problems began. Brakes screak. A/C broke and give out mildew odor. Dealer Fixed A/C and install a fan that blow automatically every 10 minutes or so when idle. Both tie rod were loose and need replacing. Both rear brakes cylinder were leaking badly. Belt buckle broke.. Plastic screws from seat fall apart. All n All, it's an OK car. Would NOT buy another one though.

1999 Chevy Malibu w 43K, 3.1 V6
By Tim Rogers on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

So far so good.