1999 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews 10

1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

1999 Malibu Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Ho-Hum
By Auggie_24

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Having this vehicle for two years has been great. It is sleek enough for pre- baby years, and trustworthy enough since we have had baby.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioning unit kicks on and off intermittantly.

My Bu
By Chellie

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My Malibu is perfect but I would NOT reccommend going to the dealer I went to.

Car Just Sucks!
By Spent

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This car I bought new and whatta mistake. Repairs, Uncomfortable, you name it. Whatta junker. Buy a Honda or Toyota and don't feel guilty. USA car makers should be embarrased for GM.

Favorite Features

certainly not the resale

Suggested Improvements

sell the company to Japan.

I got a 'lemon'
By phylli

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Nothing but trouble since I purchased car. Have replaced starter, gas tank removed for parts replacement due to leak, now shocks (struts) are sounding terrible. I'm getting rid of the lemon.

WORST CAR EVER!
By y?

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Looks like a nice car for the price...except the price continues to increase in repairs. Bought it with 39k on it, now has almost 48k, one year later. So far, replaced whole front brake system, tire rod, a/c switch, belt in engine has been replaced twice by dealer and still squeals, rear wheel drum leaking, engine light has been on and off for 6 months. Apparently, everything that everyone has been complaining about for the past few years has gone unnoticed by GM. Owners seem to have all the same problems, which makes it a defect and not a user error...AND IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED YET, THE VALUE OF THIS CAR IS DECLINING RAPIDLY, SO DUMP IT NOW!

Favorite Features

EACH MONTH IS ONE MONTH CLOSER TO PAYING CAR OFF!

Suggested Improvements

TAKE THIS CAR OFF THE MARKET! ID RATHER A YUGO!

BEWARE OF ELECTRICAL CIRCUITRY
By robnetzero

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Overall this car was a pretty good car. My wife bought it was a year old. Most of the problems have been brake issues. That is one aspect to the car that needs work. My wife drove this car for work (real estate), and enjoyed it overall, but yesterday, her dashboard caught on fire and she was able to pull over and get out of the car, but the car went up in flames on the side of the road. If considering buying this car, get the electrical cicuitry checked.

Favorite Features

slick design, comfortable inside

Suggested Improvements

reliability, electrical circuitry, brakes, "make a safer car - our lives are worth more than cutting corners in the bottom line"

car sucks
By ag

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

-it is not fast -problems after problems after problems with the care - we used the warrantly to the limits -I had the whole engine just stop working one day and the guy from warranty asked me if I had gas in my car

Horrible-DO NOT BUY!!!!
By Blizz

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I've been the owner of a 1999 Malibu for less then one year. I've had problems with it since day 1. I've spent over $1,500 in repairs so far. I will never by a Malibu or a Chevy as long as I live. Besides being unreliable it is not a comfortable car to drive. Its makeshift features help give the appearence of a luxury car however that presumption is quickly corrected.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs major mechanical improvement and overall a half hour of driving time in the Malibu definitely stiffens the body.

OK Car: Need better Warranty/Services
By Bitter Customer

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought new in May 1999. Horn didn't work after 2 months. Dealer take 3 days to replaced whole system, broke tilt handle during repair, so have to replace that. Steering wheel been screaking eversince. Car have no major problem for almost a year after that. Then all the problems began. Brakes screak. A/C broke and give out mildew odor. Dealer Fixed A/C and install a fan that blow automatically every 10 minutes or so when idle. Both tie rod were loose and need replacing. Both rear brakes cylinder were leaking badly. Belt buckle broke.. Plastic screws from seat fall apart. All n All, it's an OK car. Would NOT buy another one though.

Favorite Features

Leg room and head room. Spacious trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve on Services/Warranty. I have to pay applications fee to have my car (under warranty at the time) check/repair at different dealers. Should learn from Saturn's customer service.

1999 Chevy Malibu w 43K, 3.1 V6
By Tim Rogers

So far so good.

Favorite Features

This car excells on aggressive cornering great power. A reliable motor and tranny combo in recent history. Which if it is like my 88 Corsica 2.8L, or 89 Celebrity Wagon 2.8 L will last over 120,000 with minimum maintenance. I have experience with the 2.8's... This is my first 3.1

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be padded more in the base. I believe that I can modify the exhaust on this for an IROC flow muffler and probably will add a K&N Filter as well. I am not happy with that ash can style muffler, I may be 38 but I still have a lot of kid in me.