1999 Chevrolet Malibu Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1999 Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Sort Reviews by

Wow Runs and Runs
By Electroman37

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I picked up this car with 200,000+ and keep on driving it. Now yes i have put in several things but when it comes down to it - it is cheaper then a car payment. It has alt, water pump, radiator, bearings, lots of brakes and rotors, couple random sensors, etc. This thing is more reliable the my wife's newer ride and it cracked 300k recently!

Favorite Features

It runs and always get me where I need to go.

Suggested Improvements

I am sure whatever I gripe about has been fixed with the new MAX Line!

Don't Buy This Car
By Jessica

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and about 4 months after I purchased it I had to replace the motor, because a piston broke. Then not even a year after that the head gasket started leaking. I've also had about 8 other mechanical problems in less than 2 years, including a new water pump and a new power steering line. I was going to get the gasket fixed but it runs so bad its not even worth it. I paid $3200 for it and have to junk it for $250 not even 2 years later.

Favorite Features

My Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

A WHOLE NEW MOTOR!

Just keeps running and running
By Danielle

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This is my 9th year with my Malibu. Within the first few years of owning, I regretted every moment of purchasing this car. But 9 years later. It's the best vehicle I have ever owned. Front brakes, a gas sensor & an alternator have been the only problems that I have ever had. Yeah, I don't run the a/c during the summertime (too hard on the engine ~ sounds like the entire engine is going to fall out), and automatic car washes cause water to get in the tail lights (horrible engineering design). But, she starts without fail every day and for that, I love my Malibu. Anxious to get a 2009 though.

Favorite Features

Interior cloth is great, stains come out so easily. Dependability Trunk Size

Suggested Improvements

Tail Lights - water gets in due to crappy design.

Good Car
By LJF75

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I've taken good care of this car, and it took good care of me. Replaced the fuel pump 2003. Replaced the battery twice. Putting on the 3rd set of tires. Need a new CD changer, but hey, 130,000 miles in 11 years.

Favorite Features

Comfortable. Low maintenance. No monthly payment.

Suggested Improvements

Plug-in hybrid running on biodiesel.

Amazing Little Car
By Paul

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I recently bought my 1999 Chevy Malibu for $1,500. For a High School Student the car is an amazing little car. I run it hard and it gets a consistent 23mpg in town. I love the looks of the car and it cleans up really well. Only issue with my car is the gas gauge doesn't work, but I can live without it. It hasn't given me or the previous owner any issues and its pushing 160,000 miles. Great car and I would recommend it to anyone!

Favorite Features

It handles great, get up and go, good looking, peppy little car! Safe!

Suggested Improvements

Gas Guage would be nice, quieter ride, brakes.

Blah
By Becca

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I did buy the car used it has 156,000 miles on it now and the transmission is going out. I have replaced the engine(luckily still under warranty), starter, alternator, battery, tune up. Need to replace front brakes once to twice a year. Has been reliable car but when something goes wrong it is not a cheap fix always looking at minimum 200 dollars and that's if you fix it yourself. Also problem as long as i have had the car when you are at a stop and turn you will here grind and have to power through it(supposedly nothing wrong). Other than the issues is a good car unfortunately can't afford to fix transmission.

I expected more from Chevy
By Scott

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

The 1999 V6 Malibus have many known engineering flaws. I purchased mine new with less than 20 miles on it and it's going strong at around 90 thousand miles with numerous repairs. My problems are quite common from reading these forums. Replaced the brakes/rotors at least 7-10 times over the past decade at a conservative cost of about $5000-$7000 and I'm not an aggressive driver. I've had the head gasket replaced due to the known Dex cool antifreeze problem ($700), had the alternator changed once, the pass key theft system needed to be replaced ($300) Power windows stick in the heat, A/C went bad.... I thought Chevy had a reputation as a reliable car, guess not the 1999 Malibus.

Favorite Features

Good legroom, decent power from the 6 cylinder with good fuel economy. Huge trunk. Without the design flaws this would have been a great car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Better customer service from GM. Admit your engineering mistakes and fix them. I'm now hesitant to buy Chevy due to design flaws and poor follow up by GM. The reason I bought this car new was it was cost effective with a lot of nice options, now Malibus are too overpriced.

Might be another Malibu Lemon
By Lana

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought this chevy for my daughter, and after one week, she became stranded, when it wouldn't start. Upon a mechanic checking it out from place of purchase, said it could be the 'pass key'. Wished I had read reviews before our purchase. Now, we're going to hurry and pay it off, and find another. Money is tight these days, and who wants to buy a car,and then have to worry if you've got a lemon or not? There are few reviews in here that list zero problems with these malibu's. I just don't trust this car with my little grandkids!!!!

Favorite Features

roomy, nice smooth ride. and just like the looks of the car as well as the color

Suggested Improvements

Fix all problems everyone has listed.

O'Mallys run
By john

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I purchased this Malibu with 51000 miles on her and she has been a great car! I have replaced brakes several times ,come to find out this was a factory issue in these cars.Overall this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned! She now has 151000 miles and is still running strong!I would buy another one if I could find one with the same 2.4 4cyl engine! I get 30 mpg on highway and 25 in city, although she is not the sportiest car she is good in the snow and has plenty of room for my family! I am 6'1 and my son is 6'0 and he can sit behind me with ample leg room!

Good basic car.
By Big Mac

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We bought it new and put 136K on it before giving it to a family member. It was still sound with no creaks, bumps, or finish issues. We averaged ~27 mpg (V-6) over it's lifetime; ~30 on the interstate. A lot of it was winding 2-lane state highways, which it handled very well for it's size. I did have to get the head gaskets done (indicated by falling coolant levels) but that was covered by the (extended) warranty. I was very irritated the first time I had to do the brakes and found the rotors warped at 60K miles - too little metal to hold shape or be worth turning. I never considered rotors to be disposable. At 6'4" and 260#, I was pretty comfortable.

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfortable for a big guy, practical interior layout

Suggested Improvements

Non-disposable brake rotors - they had to be replaced every 60K mi like clockwork. I guess they've dealt with the gasket/coolant issues.