Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Very Good Quality Car! I Love It!
By malibuls1

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My grandma bought this car new with only a few miles. She wasn't easy on the car. She would run hard from red lights and the car pulled a big mountain 5 miles long and another 30 something every day for 11 years for her work. The car now has 207,500 miles on the original engine and transmission and STILL has great passing power! I am 18 and I bought this car from her last year. I take it on very long trips(200 miles at a time). People don't think it's reliable anymore with so many miles, but I feel very assured that it will get me there and back! It's a very pretty car and has great trunk and leg room! I think this car will reach 300,000 miles no problem. Quite on roads and rides very smooth

The 3100 SFI engine is nearly bulletproof! Has great passing power and overall power! The interior is sleek looking and the transmission shifts smooth. Very quite and and great car for road trips or a daily commute.

None! They made this car perfectly! The only thing that GM messed up on was the intake gasket in the engine. They made it with plastic and every single 3100 engine had to have that gasket replaced. But once you replace it with a new and improved one, that problem is solved.

Custom hobby builder mechanic.
By unicorngm

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

What can i say the 1999 chevy malibu is a great car for the guy who knows what he's doing. Never had a problem i could not fix, if any! i have had it now for 10 years now and am going to keep it. A little fine tuning and you feel like your driving indy. It's V6 engine is perfect spec. To go in and beef it up, i'v added a twin turbo pac, engine mods, tuned the suspension added extra trac-bars. OK not everyone can do this but for me GM is a greatly made car, i know i take them apart and see the quality that's there. i'v taking other cars apart and brother there not what they seem..at least the ones that come from the dealers, cheap metal, plastic, sometime's the guys that make them are lost.

Edmunds very good work to the point and informative thank you!

More detailed information and use.

Stranded on I-20E in Carroll County, Ga ...
By rod1969

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I'm starting to hate my 1999 Malibu. I've had it for approx. 5 years now. It has run hot numerous times. I've changed the head gaskets in it twice (along with getting re-worked heads installed [due to them cracking]). Cracked heads happened in 2011, and again this year (2013). Both times an old friend of mine helped me out by getting the heads "milled" for me (approx $500 total), and putting them back in. Saved me tons of money btw. Now I'm having problems with it running hot again. The "check engine" light stays on. My error codes were PO401, P1404, & PO306 four days ago. It went off when I cleaned the EGR valve and removed the carbon that had accumulated in the hoses, but it's back on now.

The PO306 code indicates that there is a misfiring in cylinder number 6. I'm now researching if it affects the catalytic converter ... and how. Maybe that's what has the car running hot now ... My only 'favorite feature' was to dive the car when I NEEDED to ... now that seems to be less and less as the days continue to pass .... Since I've owned this car, I've had to change the water pump, get the heads worked over twice, get new head gaskets twice, cleaned the EGR valve and changed the gasket, along with all the other miscellaneous costs associated with repair (fluids, caps, rings, lubes, etc.) I can't necessarily complain about the tune-ups (you have to have those) ...

Ultimately. this car has been a major PAIN in my a**. The EGR valve was probably getting stuck in the open position due to the gunk that is left by the coolant (in my opinion, though I'm not a mechanic). My first 'suggested improvement' is ... Get Rid of that D*MNED DEX-COOL ...

My Current Malibu Experience
By tburts

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

For the most part, my Malibu is a pretty good car. It gets good gas mileage, has needed power when you need it and is comfortable to drive. It is a plain in styling. However, they are meant for small/medium families. Quality is ok for the Malibu. However, the head gaskets can be a potential problem if left unchecked. Engine also has the typical "click clack" sound when started cold. Click sounds eventually disappear after running for a few minutes. Transmission shifts well.

Ample power from the V6 engine, available features (cruise control, power windows, AC), comfortable ride quality on long trips.

No traction control available. The Grand Am/Alero cousins have those features available. LS edition should have a spoiler available as well.

my 1999 chevrolet malibu
By tiger56

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

i have never had a problem from my 1999 chevy malibu. i bought it from a junk yard for $800, it got hit in the front end. no major damage. its still running. i replaced the front bumper cover and thats all that got messed up on it. i got it and it only has 164,000 miles on it. have not had to put any work into it. have had it since nov last year. motor is still strong. you have to take care of the car for you to have it a long time. you know not hot rodding it.... etc