1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Very Good Quality Car! I Love It!
By malibuls1 on 05/03/14 18:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My grandma bought this car new with only a few miles. She wasn't easy on the car. She would run hard from red lights and the car pulled a big mountain 5 miles long and another 30 something every day for 11 years for her work. The car now has 207,500 miles on the original engine and transmission and STILL has great passing power! I am 18 and I bought this car from her last year. I take it on very long trips(200 miles at a time). People don't think it's reliable anymore with so many miles, but I feel very assured that it will get me there and back! It's a very pretty car and has great trunk and leg room! I think this car will reach 300,000 miles no problem. Quite on roads and rides very smooth

Custom hobby builder mechanic.
By unicorngm on 11/05/13 00:39 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

What can i say the 1999 chevy malibu is a great car for the guy who knows what he's doing. Never had a problem i could not fix, if any! i have had it now for 10 years now and am going to keep it. A little fine tuning and you feel like your driving indy. It's V6 engine is perfect spec. To go in and beef it up, i'v added a twin turbo pac, engine mods, tuned the suspension added extra trac-bars. OK not everyone can do this but for me GM is a greatly made car, i know i take them apart and see the quality that's there. i'v taking other cars apart and brother there not what they seem..at least the ones that come from the dealers, cheap metal, plastic, sometime's the guys that make them are lost.

Stranded on I-20E in Carroll County, Ga ...
By rod1969 on 03/01/13 08:38 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I'm starting to hate my 1999 Malibu. I've had it for approx. 5 years now. It has run hot numerous times. I've changed the head gaskets in it twice (along with getting re-worked heads installed [due to them cracking]). Cracked heads happened in 2011, and again this year (2013). Both times an old friend of mine helped me out by getting the heads "milled" for me (approx $500 total), and putting them back in. Saved me tons of money btw. Now I'm having problems with it running hot again. The "check engine" light stays on. My error codes were PO401, P1404, & PO306 four days ago. It went off when I cleaned the EGR valve and removed the carbon that had accumulated in the hoses, but it's back on now.

My Current Malibu Experience
By tburts on 01/01/13 09:53 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

For the most part, my Malibu is a pretty good car. It gets good gas mileage, has needed power when you need it and is comfortable to drive. It is a plain in styling. However, they are meant for small/medium families. Quality is ok for the Malibu. However, the head gaskets can be a potential problem if left unchecked. Engine also has the typical "click clack" sound when started cold. Click sounds eventually disappear after running for a few minutes. Transmission shifts well.

my 1999 chevrolet malibu
By tiger56 on 02/09/12 17:50 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

i have never had a problem from my 1999 chevy malibu. i bought it from a junk yard for $800, it got hit in the front end. no major damage. its still running. i replaced the front bumper cover and thats all that got messed up on it. i got it and it only has 164,000 miles on it. have not had to put any work into it. have had it since nov last year. motor is still strong. you have to take care of the car for you to have it a long time. you know not hot rodding it.... etc

I Don't Know What to Do Love and Hate Relationship
By contemplating on 10/20/11 17:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Ok here is the deal, love my car its great for tall people but I have been having problems! First had to replace an electrical problem with the key ignition which cost $530. Car has several leaks when it rains replaced that too, battery keeps draining had to fix the a/c another $150 and now again the a/c is not wanting to turn on and the power windows don't want to work and I keep having the check engine light on, I do not know what is wrong with it and I am tired of fixing it, almost reach half of what the car was worth when I originally got it and that was back in June 2011!! I'm lost....

Indestructible
By carmaster2000 on 10/11/11 09:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 years ago with 117,000 miles on it for $2000 which was a great deal. Now I have 192,000 miles on it and it is still running well. It has been through 3 hellish Wisconsin winters and has always performed well in the snow without traction control. The interior is roomy and comfortable, and it rides smoothly with decent acceleration. On this old car, with 25k miles a year, the only problems I have ever had are: -The blower motor took a crap and had to be replaced. 80 bucks no big deal. -It has the infamous rusty spot below the gas cap. -Had to replace faulty O2 sensor. Really this car has been through so much, long trips, extreme heat/cold, it has been very good to me

Wow Runs and Runs
By Electroman37 on 09/03/10 07:19 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I picked up this car with 200,000+ and keep on driving it. Now yes i have put in several things but when it comes down to it - it is cheaper then a car payment. It has alt, water pump, radiator, bearings, lots of brakes and rotors, couple random sensors, etc. This thing is more reliable the my wife's newer ride and it cracked 300k recently!

Don't Buy This Car
By Jessica on 08/19/10 21:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and about 4 months after I purchased it I had to replace the motor, because a piston broke. Then not even a year after that the head gasket started leaking. I've also had about 8 other mechanical problems in less than 2 years, including a new water pump and a new power steering line. I was going to get the gasket fixed but it runs so bad its not even worth it. I paid $3200 for it and have to junk it for $250 not even 2 years later.

Just keeps running and running
By Danielle on 07/21/10 15:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This is my 9th year with my Malibu. Within the first few years of owning, I regretted every moment of purchasing this car. But 9 years later. It's the best vehicle I have ever owned. Front brakes, a gas sensor & an alternator have been the only problems that I have ever had. Yeah, I don't run the a/c during the summertime (too hard on the engine ~ sounds like the entire engine is going to fall out), and automatic car washes cause water to get in the tail lights (horrible engineering design). But, she starts without fail every day and for that, I love my Malibu. Anxious to get a 2009 though.