1998 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Review: Can't Complain

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Review

Can't Complain
By Mike on

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought my Malibu new in 98. Since then I've changed the alt 3 times, starter once, ignition switch 3 times, A/C relay (for fan control) once, lower control arms once each and A/C compressor twice. Also, the engine once with a rebuilt motor but that was strictly my fault. I average changing the intake manifold gasket at least once a year when I notice the external leak. I would like to complain about it but seeing my Malibu just crested over 360,000 miles I don't see where it would make sense. Oh and the cd player in my radio stopped working but I don't know when that happened. It's a very nice midsized car. Still original Transmission.

Favorite Features

Nice ride and decent acceleration. Handling doesn't feel "spongy" and suspension does not have that floating feel of some other cars. Good cargo space, nice room for passengers and relatively easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Please shoot the person who designed the intake manifold. I would buy a new engine tomorrow if it were properly designed and would fit in this car. Electrical gets quirky after 160,000 miles. Also, make an oil filter which can't leak across the engine when being changed.