1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Great Car-if you can live w/a few quirks
By Steve E on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 6 months ago with 70,000 miles, and have put about 4,000 miles on it since. It has been reliable, except for a faulty A/C Switch, which I understand is a common part to fail on this vehicle. It has lots of space with a big trunk, plenty of little storage spaces to stick your "stuff" up front, and a nicely designed, ergonomic interior. This car was really cheap, so I don't expect it to be as reliable as a Honda Accord, at which time cost over $5000 more for a similar '98 model. Overall, I'm satisfied with the car for the small amount of money I spent, I can live with a few minor problems here and there.

piece of junk
By financially strapped on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

(1)A couple of months after having the car, heard annoying squeak.The dealership replaced the rotors and the squeak remained. Never could find out where the noice was coming from. 2)The seal around my back window, when driving down the interstate it comes loose and makes a horrible noise. 3)Had to have air conditioning switch replaced, because it was shutting on and off. (4) Just had a new alternator put on (5)Most recently,loosing coolant from my radiator. Took it to the shop, was told it was the manifold gasket. A $500 dollar repair. The car only has 45000 miles and I have 2 more years to pay on it and the warranty just expired a few months ago.

Shame on me for believing the commercial
By goombatz on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Of course, it all happened after 37,000 miles. Breaks, rotors, AC electrical (twice), rear light circuits, front lights -- total cost of $1600. Dealer did not think this was unusual or unexpected. Rear right panel loose for no reason. Power steering hoses wore out -- $250 Where is the quality here. Foaming falling from dash, blocking vents, Shift loose, lots of rattles

1998 Chevrolet Malibu
By maryelam on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have had excellent service and no problems with this car.

No, they haven't figured out reliability
By Ken_Linda on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Warped rotors replaced twice (under warranty),wheel sensor ($400) twice, air conditioner weak and shuts itself off -- replaced ac/controller ($300), rear brake light circuit board failure ($100), power window mechanism failure, paint scratches easily, front end rattles -- all in the 4 years we've owned the pos. These things are basic essentials and should not fail for a car that was highly touted as an import killer! My last GM car was a 1970 Camaro and I finally gave in to trying GM again -- we won't make that mistake again, ever.

Shiny Package- rotten core
By CSP on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this Malibu used as a second car for work because of its attractive price and great standard features. I thought I got a steal, but I've since changed my mind. Three months after purchasing this car, which had new pads at the time, they had to be replaced. Three months later the ABS light came on- needs a new sensor which requires a complete hub assembly: $500. Check engine light came on- needed wiring replaced: $100. AC started to act up- needed new control panel: $250. Based on what I've heard it sounds like I'm just seeing the tip of the iceberg on this one. Good thing my other car is an import.

One of my best
By kshaes on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've loved everything about this car. My original tires lasted the full 80,000 miles! No mechanical problems. This is definitely one of my all time favorite cars.

Can't they get anything right?
By Howie on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

After 4 years and 5 sets of rotors, 6 sets of pads, and valves, I am thrilled to be giving this back to the bank. The sales pitch was "the car you knew america could build" well, I'm back to buying Toyotas or Hondas (built in america to higher non union standards).

98 CHEVY MAILBU
By wIL on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

FRONT END HAS ALWAYS BEEN UNBEARABLY NOISY. HAD FRONT END WORK TWICE. HEADLIGHTS LEAKED FROM DAY ONE, REPLACED AND THEY STILL LEAK. ABS LIGHTS COME ON EVERY NOW AND THEN. CD PLAYER SKIPS CONSTANTLY THROUGH THE HOLE SONG. STEREO LIGHTS HAVE BURNED OUT. ENGINE HAD COOLANT LEAK, AND POWER STEERING PUMP WENT , MAJOR REPAIR COST OVER $1800 TO FIX GASKET AND PUMP. ENGINE IS A BIT NOISY. TRANSMISION CLUNKS GOING FROM PARK TO DRIVE OR REVERVE, BUT OTHERWISE SHIFTS FAWLESSLY. ACCELERATION IS PRETTY GOOD AND CORNERING FEELS GOOD. PAINT IS SOFT AND SCRATCHES VERY EASILY. AIR CONDITIONER TURNS ON AND OFF WHENEVER IT FEELS LIKE IT. AIR IS NOT COLD.

Would be a good car if it was reliable..
By tqm3 on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

When the car is not in the shop it runs well and is fun to drive. Have had warped rotors replaced (after having them turned several times), a noisey vacuum booster replaced, lower control arm bushings replaced, 2 AC controls replaced, coolent leak repaired and the latest, a new alternator. Over half the oil changes on this car have been done by the dealer because it was in the shop for repairs. This will be probably be the last American made car I'll buy. My other vechicle, a Toyota 4x4 has 60,000 miles and has had no problems.