1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Keeping it Real
By Huggins on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car about 7 mounths and it has been a model of efficiency and reliability. After 175,000 on the odo, all I've got to do is get an oil change and new brake pads. I love the acceleration of the 3.1 V6. It makes merging and flying across 4 lanes of traffic a piece of cake. Compared to my old '90 Cavalier, well, there is no comparison. Take care of it, and you'll be proud of your new Malibu.

Good powertrain,bad attention to details
By Mike J. G. on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my very basic 4-cyl. Malibu in 2/98 brand new, and had a lot of trouble initially with the warping brake rotors unitl Chevy finally put on a new set. Other problems include the infamous rear suspension creaks (which were never permanently fixed, I just got used to the noise) and the A/C switch. At 82000 miles, the 2.4L engine and transmission still perform flawlessly, which is the car's one saving grace.

Buy Midas Stock
By MaliBLOWS on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

The tales of the broken brakes are all too common and real. I've had more than $700 in brake repairs. The lighter fell apart..literally breaking off like a cookie. Other pieces of the car are doing the same. I'm a dealer and can't unload this thing. Worse buy yet.

Tale of two milages before $ after 55000
By lparsel on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This was a wonderful car to own and drive for the first 55000 miles. I do mostly hiway miles and the car was confortable and alway 30 per gal. Then I started using the car around town. The brakes wore out in 12-15 k miles. The intake manifold gasket leaked. The ignition switch broke. Windshield wipers broke and were recalled. The brakes are just not the right size for this car. They wearout to offten.

Piece of Junk!!!
By Bill Polinchak on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Malibu in 1999 after I graduated from college. It was used with 25,000 miles. Since then the alternator failed at only 48,000 ($440). I've had the brakes done twice ($1000). The A/C switch failed, it was replaced and then failed again. And now the water pump failed along with an engine gasket, a $1044 repair. I will NEVER buy another Chevy or GM product ever again!!! My next car will be a Toyota Camry. I tried to be a good American and bought an American car ... that was a mistake. Shame on General Motors!!!

Almost got killed
By Geoff Frisch on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Front right speed sensor malfunctioned, causing the brake to lock at 60 MPH, sending me across 5 lanes of traffic. A miracle me, my wife and son are still alive. When the abs light comes on, see your dealer immediately!!

Problems
By John & Amanda on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Nothing but trouble with this car. A few of the same problems others have such as the tail lights and the AC switch. Also the ignition switch wouldn't always go all the way off so when you leave the car the accessories come on and the battery is drained next time you get in. Alternator was going out. Made creaking sounds from the rear when going over bumps. Squeaky brakes. Oh yeah and 4 (FOUR) cracked fly wheels in less than a year. The best thing about the car is that Swope Mitsubishi offered to give us a new car recently to replace this Malibu. A Galant. More trade in value and a lot nicer.

no problems
By Jody Massey on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

great car. Lots of power. No problems. Room for the family. Cavernous trunk.

Excellent reliable car
By Robert Xu on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

No problem at all for the five years, just change the oil every 3 months. Still using the original brakes and tires. The car has never failed on me.

dont waste your money
By malibu on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought our Malibu with about 18000 miles on it. We've had nothing but problems. Common problems I see with ours and others on the road are electical problems (taillights adn brake lights always out). We've had the same A/C switch problem. One part gets fixed and something else goes wrong. Very noisy ride. Engine leaks from everywhere with only 50000 miles. Uncomfortable, hard seats. Not much interior room.