Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Most Helpful|
Driving mine for 5 yrs now
By Dixon's

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had mine 5 yrs now. I loved it at first, but it has begun to wear out. It has a 115,000 miles and is still going strong.

Favorite Features

love the body style and the handling when it was newer.

Suggested Improvements

had to replace the motor mount twice, ballbearing in the right axle sheared and had to be replaced. the car has begun to vibrate when it gets over 60-65mph.

Not Like my 1980 Chevy Malibu
By Bill

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Driving and handling were no problem - excellent as a matter of fact in acceleration, braking and handling curves. Gas mileage was better in my 1980 Chevy than the 1998 one. A/C switch was the first item to go, then the blower switch. Radio reception lasted about 3yrs. Went through at least 4 or 5 brake changes and recently have been taking on water in the trunk when it rains. When driving I feel cramped in (I'm only 5'8") - why can't Chevy make the Malibu like they use to???? My 1980 Malibu lasted for 20 years - great car!

Favorite Features

Driving and handling. Fold down back seat for added trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

More room, better gas mileage, better quality craftmanship.

Great Malibu
By rocknjim08

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in the summer of 2011 with 125,000 miles on it. I drive for pizza companies and it is now at 150,000. I only had one problem with the alternator. Inside is OK, just a little small for my taste but still great value for $1400.

Favorite Features

The body holds up great. The motor is strong and solid. Tranny shifts smooth and quietly.

Suggested Improvements

Needs 6" more of center console, maybe a second cup-holder.

Mt 1998 Malibu LS
By Jan

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have loved this vehicle since day one! It has out performed my expectations and handles the road like a champ! My mileage has ranged 25 city and 32 highway consistantly for eight years!

Favorite Features

Roomy trunk, fold down seats, inside access to trunk space, and left hand cup holder for driver!

From a College Commuter
By alirios

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for around $3500 and it is definitely worth it. It's alright on gas. I work weekends and put 32 miles in total on that travel. Then, I put around 40 miles throughout the week and only put $17 of gas weekly. I've had this car for some time now and the only thing wrong with it was a little ring piece for the A/C which the mechanic fixed for free during an alignment/oil change. The A/C blows nice and the size of the car is good enough to fit 5 people max. I plan on getting to the 200,000 mark from it's current 128,000. Just perform general maintenance of your car and don't be and idiot and this car will treat you with respect.

Favorite Features

A/C, remote lock, and power windows and driver seat. Also, I like how I can fit my spare tire in a hidden compartment in the trunk. It allows you to store the spare in the trunk without it taking up any space. The v6 engine is nice too, it's good to know your car has power just in case you need. (Driving and stopping up hills with a 4 cylinder is not fun.)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really. Maybe more miles for your gas, but I guess you can say that with most cars. I'm loving this car.