Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

I miss it.
By GreatCar

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was a great little car for me! I drove it 60 miles a day and it performed great. Good gas mileage with V6. It was very quiet, which I love. Looked great, especially the medium-blue paint. Even with a few hail dings, it was great. Aluminum wheels were a nice feature. I bought it with 153,000 miles! Sold it with 160,000 to a college friend, but wish I would have kept it! Very reliable and economic. Sharp! Looking for another one!

Beautiful blue paint. Nice-looking interior, kind of cheap though better than the Olds Alero. Gas mileage.

The PASS-lock system was going bad when I sold it. It would not let me start it on occassion; I would have to sit for 10 minutes and wait. There was also a clunking noise in the rear (probably struts but they appeared to be in good shape).

Getting ready to say goodbye...
By Becky

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've had my Malibu for a few years and it is with mixed emotions that I say goodbye. However, my extended warranty is now up and that can't be good! I have 93,000 miles on it and it is overall in good shape minus a few dings. I like the car, but not the problems, especially the brakes! I have had them replaced twice (including rotors) in the 4 years I've had it, plus the alternator, water pump and various belts. I'm sticking with Chevrolet and hoping I'll have less headaches with my new purchase.

Interior, stereo system, gas mileage.

Fix the brake problems, as mechanics state that the Malibu is known for bad brakes.

Malibu
By Sharon

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

As for me, I just purchased my Malibu a month ago from the one and only owner. Great price and so far it has treated me good. We took it on a 300 mile ski trip this past weekend in the snow and it handled very well. The previous owner said they had to replace the fuel pump at 35k and the air conditioner not long after purchasing it. I hope and pray it will continue to treat me good!

I love the amount of room, my husband is almost 7' tall and can drive this pretty comfortably! The driver side cup holder in the dash is great for my AM Starbucks too!

No suggestions as of yet!

Bad Bad Car
By Joshua

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since new and everything has been replaced. Everything that other people have mentioned going wrong has also happened to me.... Have had the brakes replaced 10 times since new! Went through a whole set of tires in 8 only months because the front end is messed up and there's nothing the dealer can do unless I spend $1500. This car has dealt with quite a bit of abuse on my part but I would never get another one or recommend it to another person.

Fuel economy, Design of dashboard, size of trunk, backseat comfort

QUALITY!!!! Front seats are not very comfortable for long trips of any sort.

97K miles and going strong
By JNM

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my car in 2000 w/ 27000 miles on it. I have been in two front- end accidents with this car (one being quite major). After reading the other reviews, I thought to myself that I must have the best 98 Malibu ever built. I have NEVER had anything major wrong with this car. The most I have ever had to spend in the shop at one time is $200, and that was just recently for high mileage maintence. This car has 97K miles on it now. The only reason why I'm selling it is because of the mileage factor. This car has treated me very well, and I drive like a maniac!

Stylish interior, dependable, roomy, good gas mileage

I came from an Acura, so the ride could be a little smoother, and the acceleration is a little slow but still decent.