Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Not Like my 1980 Chevy Malibu
By Bill

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Driving and handling were no problem - excellent as a matter of fact in acceleration, braking and handling curves. Gas mileage was better in my 1980 Chevy than the 1998 one. A/C switch was the first item to go, then the blower switch. Radio reception lasted about 3yrs. Went through at least 4 or 5 brake changes and recently have been taking on water in the trunk when it rains. When driving I feel cramped in (I'm only 5'8") - why can't Chevy make the Malibu like they use to???? My 1980 Malibu lasted for 20 years - great car!

Favorite Features

Driving and handling. Fold down back seat for added trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

More room, better gas mileage, better quality craftmanship.

Five years of a Malibu
By James Parker

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

After five years and 200,000Km some critical design problems are obvious. Front wheel bearings last about a year, ABS sensors are built in to the bearings and are suseptible to water, salt. $600 replacement cost. Power steering pump is also poor. Front seat belts are awkward to use. Paint quality is poor, clear coat has delaminated in several spots. Driveline is good, engine electronics trouble-free so far. Electric windows are a hassle. Factory sound system has average sound quality, both CD player and tape player. Seating is a bit harsh on long trips. Pass-through rear seats are good for carrying big stuff.

My 1998 Chevy Malibu
By Fran

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

For the most part, this car has been a great friend! Always reliable, & gets me from point A to point B. Not a fancy car, and nothing to really look at. But if you are looking for a vehicle that is well made, reliable, & can sit 4 to 5 persons at one time; this is the vehicle for you!

Suggested Improvements

They should improve the electricals to the vehicle. The only flaw I saw is when you turn on the A/C, at times it can turn off, or the A/C button "blinks".

3.1 L V-6 Disaster for GM
By 3.1 L V-6 Disaster

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought car new in 1998. Many repairs right from start. Fuel injectors, AC switch,4 Break pads, alternater, Lower manifold gasket ($650), more fuel injectors, purge valve, fuel pressure regulator, trottle control valve.GM should junk this motor before it drives them and me into bankrupcy. My next car will be foreign like my friends who laugh at me. I have 63000 miles

Favorite Features

Car has a nice acceleration and handles well.

Suggested Improvements

The motor is an insult to American engineering. GM should have done better.

Plesantly Surprised
By Jay Mack

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I drove 3 Hondas and 2 Camrys with 100K- 120K miles. They all showed every mile and were priced from $6K - $8.6K. Bah! Way overrated. This Malibu with 105K mi. for $3,200 with house warrenty. He fixed brakes and a spring. Drives like a new car! Much tighter than any of the imports I tried. This is the best car deal I've gotten. It gets an honest 26 mpg. Sound system is factory upgrade and very acceptable. Nice, functional interior. I like the 4 cyl. twincam just fine. More power than the competition. No flaws yet. Great car. I'm pleased and getting another.

Favorite Features

View over the hood. Lots of leg room for long reach driver. Light and agile and peppy for an econobox, even with automatic. Very reasonable on the used market compared to the Hondas, Camerys, etc. Half the price. Supportive suspension. Lots of standard features.

Suggested Improvements

One word. Manual transmission. I admit that this car harkens back to my beloved 1980 Citation, with a manual. I liked it, too. This'd be a fun, inexpensive sporty sedan set up that way. Brakes have to be kept an eye on. Nothing special there. Standard features don't include cruise control.