1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Reliable Car
By Yue on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Just change oil. Never any mechanical problem. Dependable family car. It has never let me down for the past six years since I had it.

My Malibu
By watson2003 on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

great car so far would by another one and think they should keep the design of it the same

Brakes, front end, A/C just plain poor
By JAH on 09/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought new. Price was right and seemed nice at the time, reviews were good. However, have replaced brakes too many times to count-calipers, rotors, pads- the works. A/C switch turns on-off at random; fan doesn't work on 1 and 2. Control arms clunk on every bump. Bad power lock switch design. Paint scratches easily. Fit of glove box poor. Original tires were terrible.

Run Away!!!!!!!!
By Stay away !!!!!! on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Stay away from this one!!!!!! What is the deal with the squeak up front when driving over 35 mph? The AC switch has been replaced twice ($300/ea). The driver's side auto window will not work (I've had this repaired twice and need to again, but at $350 a pop, who can afford it again?) Struts replaced at 60K miles $500 one month after I paid the car off, Brakes replaced twice. I currently need a whole new ABS system and will need a new steering column soon! I just hope I can get rid of it without having to pay someone to take it!

Please Recall for Brakes/ABS and A/C
By Please Recall on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I brought this car new for my wife in 1998 with V6. So far (at 103,000 miles) the engine has performed well. There are a few problems with this car: A/C switch, ABS, front brakes, alternator, squeaky noise. If not for these problems I would recommmend it. This is my second American made car and I am a little scare to buy another one.

Never buy this car!
By Bill's family on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have had to have every possible part on the braking system replaced. The ABS light still comes on. The car needs it's 4th air conditioner control unit at 45,000. Had to put $1,700 into it in January and the car still wants to die out when started. Dealer now says it needs a fuel pressure regulator for another $200 - could this have been the problem all along? Lemon......

98 Malibu LS
By Memsec on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Problem with noisy Affinity tires 2 years ago. Early problems with sgueaky suspension and brakes. Good car once we got the bugs out.

No Problems
By NY Mike on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98' with 60,000 miles from an auction in 2001 for $4,000. Best 4,000 ever spent. I have had no major problems besides the A/C switch (like everyone) windshield wiper transmission broke due to ice storm, and brakes (like everyone) For the price you cannot go wrong. It is a decent looking car, solid body, nice pickup in the engine... what else do you want for the price?

I'm going to Toyota
By JohnJ on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

@ 5.5 yrs old (49k) the following has been replaced: 3 sets of brakes including rotors; steering gear twice; upper control arms twice; rear sway bar bushings; ABS rht front wheel speed sensor; intake manifold gasket; ignition wiring; heater speed control. The cost of the repair of the intake manifold leak (allowing oil & antifreeze to mix) GM would not coverfor me yet for a friend of mine with the same problem on a 98 Venture they covered (both mine and his not under warranty and just a couple months apart). GM is very inconsistent with customer support.

Great car! Reliable transportation!
By Fran0196 on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Got my 98 Malibu as a company car. It's been a very reliable car! Only the routine maintenance (oil change every 3000 miles etc.), 2 brake jobs, 1 altenator, belts. Only one major repair, waterpump started to leak at 66000 miles and needed to replace. Overall I am quite happy with the car, my car now has 75000 miles. I live in Hawaii so I do not travel far, but the driving I do is a lot of stop & go. I think the constant idling of the car is worse than long distance driving.