Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Overall Fair
By davidred

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car currently has about 116,000 miles on it and we are the only owners. It was purchased brand new back in 1998. I have some very mixed reviews on the car over all. Mostly with areas of suspension, A/C control and ABS light. We also had a the CD player replaced while it was still under warranty. The body of the car has done well over the past nine years and the engine just recently started giving us trouble. We have a coolant leak into the engine. Overall I give the car a fair rating. I probably would not buy another one.

Car gets very good gas mileage and handles well on the road especially in winter time. It is also a very spacious car and can hold a lot on trips. Interior of the car has held up well especially with having two kids.

We have had the A/C switch replaced twice in the car while under warranty. Yet we still have problems on 1 and 2 setting. We have had a couple of struts replaced, a wheel bearing and tierod replaced before 60,000 miles. The ABS light also goes on and off from time to time.

My Review
By jayman2176

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my aunt at 61,000 miles. I have had some of the same problems that most of you did. Brakes go in 15,000 miles even with aftermarket brakes. ABS sensor goes bad. Faulty automatic winder motors. Pull goes out. The base line performance lacks but I many performance parts added to the motor and suspension. It made it a good track car after modification. But all and all it still an American made car which means it will never be better than a 7 out of 10.

The look over all and what a few performance parts can do to this car.

Take some tips from other country with quality of cars. Make a car that will last over 100,000 miles with out major work done.

OK-good car
By asdfjkl;

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Was great for about nine months, then little things started to happen. Check engine light came on. Took it to autozone for diagnostics and they told me it was a camshaft position sensor. Its acceleration improved after that. The starter failed me in December...which I fixed. The V6 does not give a do-it-yourself person much room to work around. The wheel bearing on the front right side became very noisy and had to be replaced. As far as minor annoyances: Vent selector knob broke (without abuse), the "ding ding ding" of the alert when you get in the car or are low on gas is very annoying, cornering isnt great, nor is mpg. It's an ok-good car. Not the best, nor the worst I've owned.

The space, adjustable steering wheel, keyless entry (on mine), decent acceleration,

GM needs to make vehicles that are good on gas. 25 mpg isnt good enough for me, nor the environment. Does it really need to weigh 3000 lbs? Manual trans. would be nice. Also,"dinging" alert sound is quite annoying. Could corner better, too... plus stock cd player skips

American Trash
By ayoung

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

The V6 is strong but as with most American cars, it is poorly built. At 100,000 the intake manifold gasket went. I can already tell the transmission is living on borrowed time as it, like most American transmissions, can't make up its mind which gear it needs to be in. It also shifts hesitatingly. Fortunately this was a hand me down from my wife's parents and we have only had to pay for the repairs, not the car. I just wish the American's could build something that lasts.

None

Build something that lasts. AKA the engine and the transmission.

Mt 1998 Malibu LS
By Jan

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have loved this vehicle since day one! It has out performed my expectations and handles the road like a champ! My mileage has ranged 25 city and 32 highway consistantly for eight years!

Roomy trunk, fold down seats, inside access to trunk space, and left hand cup holder for driver!