Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Most Helpful|
Driving mine for 5 yrs now
By Dixon's

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had mine 5 yrs now. I loved it at first, but it has begun to wear out. It has a 115,000 miles and is still going strong.

Favorite Features

love the body style and the handling when it was newer.

Suggested Improvements

had to replace the motor mount twice, ballbearing in the right axle sheared and had to be replaced. the car has begun to vibrate when it gets over 60-65mph.

Great Malibu
By rocknjim08

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in the summer of 2011 with 125,000 miles on it. I drive for pizza companies and it is now at 150,000. I only had one problem with the alternator. Inside is OK, just a little small for my taste but still great value for $1400.

Favorite Features

The body holds up great. The motor is strong and solid. Tranny shifts smooth and quietly.

Suggested Improvements

Needs 6" more of center console, maybe a second cup-holder.

Can't Complain
By Mike

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Malibu new in 98. Since then I've changed the alt 3 times, starter once, ignition switch 3 times, A/C relay (for fan control) once, lower control arms once each and A/C compressor twice. Also, the engine once with a rebuilt motor but that was strictly my fault. I average changing the intake manifold gasket at least once a year when I notice the external leak. I would like to complain about it but seeing my Malibu just crested over 360,000 miles I don't see where it would make sense. Oh and the cd player in my radio stopped working but I don't know when that happened. It's a very nice midsized car. Still original Transmission.

Favorite Features

Nice ride and decent acceleration. Handling doesn't feel "spongy" and suspension does not have that floating feel of some other cars. Good cargo space, nice room for passengers and relatively easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Please shoot the person who designed the intake manifold. I would buy a new engine tomorrow if it were properly designed and would fit in this car. Electrical gets quirky after 160,000 miles. Also, make an oil filter which can't leak across the engine when being changed.

From a College Commuter
By alirios

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for around $3500 and it is definitely worth it. It's alright on gas. I work weekends and put 32 miles in total on that travel. Then, I put around 40 miles throughout the week and only put $17 of gas weekly. I've had this car for some time now and the only thing wrong with it was a little ring piece for the A/C which the mechanic fixed for free during an alignment/oil change. The A/C blows nice and the size of the car is good enough to fit 5 people max. I plan on getting to the 200,000 mark from it's current 128,000. Just perform general maintenance of your car and don't be and idiot and this car will treat you with respect.

Favorite Features

A/C, remote lock, and power windows and driver seat. Also, I like how I can fit my spare tire in a hidden compartment in the trunk. It allows you to store the spare in the trunk without it taking up any space. The v6 engine is nice too, it's good to know your car has power just in case you need. (Driving and stopping up hills with a 4 cylinder is not fun.)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really. Maybe more miles for your gas, but I guess you can say that with most cars. I'm loving this car.

Never Again!
By Morgan

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had problems from the start. Replaced alternator, breaks, struts. Can not afford to replace the coolant leak, exhaust problem, and rear struts all at once. I did take care of the car...but it is very unreliable. Will never by a Chevy again.

Favorite Features

The only good thing this car has done for me is help me gain a good relationship with my mechanic.