Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Solid used car
By GMK

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have a 98 Chevy Mailbu V6 with 115K on it. This is a decent used car to drive; a solid 7/10. Its pretty reliable and kind of fun to drive. And the ride is smooth. The only problems I had was a starter replacement at 65K and 2 alternator replacements (My dad buys nothing but GMs alternators always need replaced on them - luckily its a cheap repair $250). Brakes do need replaced about every 35K as well. Like other people I've had a problem with the AC switch but it easily comes back on when you fiddle with it. My car gets about 23 city and 28 highway.

The automatic transmission. GM has always made great ATs (in my opinion only Toyota rivals GM in this dept) and this car is no exception. Smooth shifting and no problems whatsoever with it.

The AC electrics. GM someday is going to have to make an alternator that lasts longer than 30K miles.

The Car That Couldn't
By jackdaniels80

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My very first car, bought at 18 year olds. I still love this car despite it being written off last year. Purchased at 200,000 Km, had major issues all around. Crazy sounds from dash. Head gasket blew, never did it professionally fixed, I just didn't care at that point. Felt like it would stall when reversing, idle was so rough, had 2 tune-ups, nothing fixed it. Steering wheel was stiff, felt like power steering was blown. Alternator snapped off the engine mount. Right front end snapped with the control arm. Transmission kicked all the time. Daytime running lights only worked when they wanted to. Fog lights didnt work regardless of bulb change.

A lot of aftemarket mods, never got around to throwing anything on, spent more time at the repair shop getting diagnostics tests. Had an awesome sound system with an amplifier and subwoofer! I actually liked the body styling, it was pretty much a chick car but I still liked the look.

Everything should be improved, nothing worked as it should have and even with repairs, it still couldn't be fixed to proper running order. I bought a GM because my father is all hooked on GMs, never owned anything else but this was a prime example of GM getting lazy.

Problems
By Ron

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 120,000 on it, concerned about the engine and tranny but had them checked out and until now 170,000 (tranny is out) both have done well. However everything else seemingly has gone wrong. Ignition switch, heater control, abs system, wheel sensors and on and on.

Good driving car when not being repaired.

Put quality parts in.

A pretty good car
By Joe

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

V-6 1998 Malibu has served me well. I have 126,000 miles and she still rides well. Proper maintenance and the car will last.

Large trunk

Manifold intake gasket should have been recalled. Brake rotors are too small for a car of this size.

180,000 miles with no effort
By David Doering

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

For the money this has been a great car. I have never been stuck on the road. Have had it towed from the house twice for serpentine belt issues, but that is great for the way I have taken care of it. The original brakes and rotors were horrible as has been well documented with this car, but cheap replacements have done well for many miles. I am starting to have rust near the gas cover. I have seen this on two other Malibus as well. Overall, I have been extremely pleased with the value of this car.

• SUV