1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
A Pretty Good Car
By Mitch45 on 11/29/04 17:21 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I like my '98 Malibu LS. It's pretty peppy, handles decently, is comfortable for four adults and has a lot of amenities. I got the car in September of 2003 with 21,000 miles and it now has 26,000. In that time, the car has gone through a starter and a set of brakes. Sometimes the car has trouble starting when hot.

1998 Chevy Malibu base model
By Rodney Gipson on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My wife and I purchased this car 6 years ago with much research and a visit to the auto show. We've had some problems here and there, master cylinder, engine computer system replacement, alternator. These repairs were spread out over the six years.We originally wanted a Camry but it would have cost $24,000 compared to 18,500 we paid for the Malibu. Even with the above mentioned repairs, this car has been excellent considering it's been our only car. Both my wife and I drive this car everyday and it gets driven quite a bit every day. The gas milage is still great, and highway performance is excellent. Had we had a second car this car would be in mint condition. Still happy with this car.

My Love/Hate Relationship with my Malibu
By lovenhateit on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used in 2002 with 27,000 miles. I am so glad I opted for the extended warranty. The first thing to go were the brakes, of which I was warned. My A/C switch drives me insane (have had it replaced once already), my theft light randomly comes on when I start my car, my windshield wipers move at whatever speed they choose, and I now have a mysterious humming sound coming from the front right, which according to other reviews, seems to be the right front speed sensor/hub. I have also replaced the fuel pump. I however, haven't had intake manifold or alternator problems..YET..What an insult to take my car in for service only to be told that it is common... shame on GM...

Many Problems Too
By IHateMyBoo on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought my '98 Malibu used in late '01. Thought it was great at first. The brakes squeal very loudly and they don't need to be replaced. Had the coolant leak but fixed it w/ leak stopper thing. AC button is VERY annoying. And at 41,000 miles the engine blew. Very unexpected and a bad let down. Have a 2000 Malibu engine, but still having problem w/ cracks in the air plenum. Don't recommend this car anymore. And I owe more than it's worth. :P

malibu 1998 lx
By diskiedog on 06/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

If your are buying be aware of the following item I had to replace. Theft alarm-$350, when out at 40,000 miles. will not allow you to start car.Rotors- replaced 2 timms. Air conditioner control block-replaced at 35000 miles and 60000 miles-cost was $250 for the 2nd. Water leak on intake manifold- cost $573, this was the 150,ooo mile non replacement antifreeze chevy was proud of. Alternator-cost $241.

An Underrated Mid-Size Sedan
By Andrew A. on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

My wife wanted an Camry but when we priced up all the options that we wanted it was much more expensive than a comparably equipped Malibu LS. The Camry that fit into the price range of our Malibu had roll down windows and a 4-cylinder engine. I don't care how refined it is 133 horsepower is not enough to move a 3,000 pound sedan. The Malibu has a V-6 standard which is powerful enough to move this mid-size sedan. We have just over 120,000 miles on it and have only had to have normal routine maintence and the dealer service has been excellent and i will keep going back to Chevrolet's.

Sorry Engine
By okiecityguy on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I liked my Malibu. I was excited to get it. BUT...The first year I had it it had a computer malfunction. There have been a series of small things since. AC switch erratic, had to replace the alternator. Belt pully went bad. But now. Now the engine (V6) is shot! Losing coolant at an alarming rate. Needs intake gaskets! This car only has 77K miles! Sorry GM, I'm out on your vehicles. My 98 Pontiac Montana (3.4L) is doing the same thing. It's in the shop now.

stuck with mine
By cronic dissapointmen on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had each of the problems everyone else had. Quickly worn brakes (x2), failed alternator, failed battery, failed tensioner, failed water pump, leaking intake gasket, failed a.c. switch, broken glove compartment latch, steering wheel finish worn off, cheap interior quality, erratic a.b.s. light and the list goes on.

Good car, little maintenance
By revjmike on 02/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Chevy Malibu as a pre-owned vehicle with 33,000 miles on it already. I now have put just under 100,000 miles on it giving it a total of 129,000 miles. It continues to handle extremely well, even though I have not replaced struts or shocks. The engine still has plenty of zip; and my only significant repair has been tensioner replacement. Quite frankly I am astonished at the quality of this vehicle. This is one of the few cars I have owned where I have never doubted whether I made the right choice or not

It's a POS - DON'T BUY ONE!
By IHATEGM on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

We have had the engine overhauled. All parts replaced in the entire engine, suspension and exhaust systems. Interior is as plan as it can get. Seat are uncomfortable for long trips. The car could not have been made or designed any worse