1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Not Like my 1980 Chevy Malibu
By Bill on 04/15/06 20:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Driving and handling were no problem - excellent as a matter of fact in acceleration, braking and handling curves. Gas mileage was better in my 1980 Chevy than the 1998 one. A/C switch was the first item to go, then the blower switch. Radio reception lasted about 3yrs. Went through at least 4 or 5 brake changes and recently have been taking on water in the trunk when it rains. When driving I feel cramped in (I'm only 5'8") - why can't Chevy make the Malibu like they use to???? My 1980 Malibu lasted for 20 years - great car!

Five years of a Malibu
By James Parker on 01/07/06 03:14 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

After five years and 200,000Km some critical design problems are obvious. Front wheel bearings last about a year, ABS sensors are built in to the bearings and are suseptible to water, salt. $600 replacement cost. Power steering pump is also poor. Front seat belts are awkward to use. Paint quality is poor, clear coat has delaminated in several spots. Driveline is good, engine electronics trouble-free so far. Electric windows are a hassle. Factory sound system has average sound quality, both CD player and tape player. Seating is a bit harsh on long trips. Pass-through rear seats are good for carrying big stuff.

My 1998 Chevy Malibu
By Fran on 11/25/05 14:54 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

For the most part, this car has been a great friend! Always reliable, & gets me from point A to point B. Not a fancy car, and nothing to really look at. But if you are looking for a vehicle that is well made, reliable, & can sit 4 to 5 persons at one time; this is the vehicle for you!

3.1 L V-6 Disaster for GM
By 3.1 L V-6 Disaster on 10/14/05 01:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought car new in 1998. Many repairs right from start. Fuel injectors, AC switch,4 Break pads, alternater, Lower manifold gasket ($650), more fuel injectors, purge valve, fuel pressure regulator, trottle control valve.GM should junk this motor before it drives them and me into bankrupcy. My next car will be foreign like my friends who laugh at me. I have 63000 miles

Plesantly Surprised
By Jay Mack on 09/20/05 11:32 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I drove 3 Hondas and 2 Camrys with 100K- 120K miles. They all showed every mile and were priced from $6K - $8.6K. Bah! Way overrated. This Malibu with 105K mi. for $3,200 with house warrenty. He fixed brakes and a spring. Drives like a new car! Much tighter than any of the imports I tried. This is the best car deal I've gotten. It gets an honest 26 mpg. Sound system is factory upgrade and very acceptable. Nice, functional interior. I like the 4 cyl. twincam just fine. More power than the competition. No flaws yet. Great car. I'm pleased and getting another.

I miss it.
By GreatCar on 08/02/05 01:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was a great little car for me! I drove it 60 miles a day and it performed great. Good gas mileage with V6. It was very quiet, which I love. Looked great, especially the medium-blue paint. Even with a few hail dings, it was great. Aluminum wheels were a nice feature. I bought it with 153,000 miles! Sold it with 160,000 to a college friend, but wish I would have kept it! Very reliable and economic. Sharp! Looking for another one!

Getting ready to say goodbye...
By Becky on 07/12/05 20:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've had my Malibu for a few years and it is with mixed emotions that I say goodbye. However, my extended warranty is now up and that can't be good! I have 93,000 miles on it and it is overall in good shape minus a few dings. I like the car, but not the problems, especially the brakes! I have had them replaced twice (including rotors) in the 4 years I've had it, plus the alternator, water pump and various belts. I'm sticking with Chevrolet and hoping I'll have less headaches with my new purchase.

Malibu
By Sharon on 03/02/05 11:33 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

As for me, I just purchased my Malibu a month ago from the one and only owner. Great price and so far it has treated me good. We took it on a 300 mile ski trip this past weekend in the snow and it handled very well. The previous owner said they had to replace the fuel pump at 35k and the air conditioner not long after purchasing it. I hope and pray it will continue to treat me good!

Bad Bad Car
By Joshua on 02/18/05 12:23 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since new and everything has been replaced. Everything that other people have mentioned going wrong has also happened to me.... Have had the brakes replaced 10 times since new! Went through a whole set of tires in 8 only months because the front end is messed up and there's nothing the dealer can do unless I spend $1500. This car has dealt with quite a bit of abuse on my part but I would never get another one or recommend it to another person.

97K miles and going strong
By JNM on 01/28/05 20:18 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my car in 2000 w/ 27000 miles on it. I have been in two front- end accidents with this car (one being quite major). After reading the other reviews, I thought to myself that I must have the best 98 Malibu ever built. I have NEVER had anything major wrong with this car. The most I have ever had to spend in the shop at one time is $200, and that was just recently for high mileage maintence. This car has 97K miles on it now. The only reason why I'm selling it is because of the mileage factor. This car has treated me very well, and I drive like a maniac!