1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1998 Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Sort Reviews by

Not Like my 1980 Chevy Malibu
By Bill

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Driving and handling were no problem - excellent as a matter of fact in acceleration, braking and handling curves. Gas mileage was better in my 1980 Chevy than the 1998 one. A/C switch was the first item to go, then the blower switch. Radio reception lasted about 3yrs. Went through at least 4 or 5 brake changes and recently have been taking on water in the trunk when it rains. When driving I feel cramped in (I'm only 5'8") - why can't Chevy make the Malibu like they use to???? My 1980 Malibu lasted for 20 years - great car!

Favorite Features

Driving and handling. Fold down back seat for added trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

More room, better gas mileage, better quality craftmanship.

Five years of a Malibu
By James Parker

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

After five years and 200,000Km some critical design problems are obvious. Front wheel bearings last about a year, ABS sensors are built in to the bearings and are suseptible to water, salt. $600 replacement cost. Power steering pump is also poor. Front seat belts are awkward to use. Paint quality is poor, clear coat has delaminated in several spots. Driveline is good, engine electronics trouble-free so far. Electric windows are a hassle. Factory sound system has average sound quality, both CD player and tape player. Seating is a bit harsh on long trips. Pass-through rear seats are good for carrying big stuff.

My 1998 Chevy Malibu
By Fran

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

For the most part, this car has been a great friend! Always reliable, & gets me from point A to point B. Not a fancy car, and nothing to really look at. But if you are looking for a vehicle that is well made, reliable, & can sit 4 to 5 persons at one time; this is the vehicle for you!

Suggested Improvements

They should improve the electricals to the vehicle. The only flaw I saw is when you turn on the A/C, at times it can turn off, or the A/C button "blinks".

3.1 L V-6 Disaster for GM
By 3.1 L V-6 Disaster

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought car new in 1998. Many repairs right from start. Fuel injectors, AC switch,4 Break pads, alternater, Lower manifold gasket ($650), more fuel injectors, purge valve, fuel pressure regulator, trottle control valve.GM should junk this motor before it drives them and me into bankrupcy. My next car will be foreign like my friends who laugh at me. I have 63000 miles

Favorite Features

Car has a nice acceleration and handles well.

Suggested Improvements

The motor is an insult to American engineering. GM should have done better.

Plesantly Surprised
By Jay Mack

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I drove 3 Hondas and 2 Camrys with 100K- 120K miles. They all showed every mile and were priced from $6K - $8.6K. Bah! Way overrated. This Malibu with 105K mi. for $3,200 with house warrenty. He fixed brakes and a spring. Drives like a new car! Much tighter than any of the imports I tried. This is the best car deal I've gotten. It gets an honest 26 mpg. Sound system is factory upgrade and very acceptable. Nice, functional interior. I like the 4 cyl. twincam just fine. More power than the competition. No flaws yet. Great car. I'm pleased and getting another.

Favorite Features

View over the hood. Lots of leg room for long reach driver. Light and agile and peppy for an econobox, even with automatic. Very reasonable on the used market compared to the Hondas, Camerys, etc. Half the price. Supportive suspension. Lots of standard features.

Suggested Improvements

One word. Manual transmission. I admit that this car harkens back to my beloved 1980 Citation, with a manual. I liked it, too. This'd be a fun, inexpensive sporty sedan set up that way. Brakes have to be kept an eye on. Nothing special there. Standard features don't include cruise control.

I miss it.
By GreatCar

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was a great little car for me! I drove it 60 miles a day and it performed great. Good gas mileage with V6. It was very quiet, which I love. Looked great, especially the medium-blue paint. Even with a few hail dings, it was great. Aluminum wheels were a nice feature. I bought it with 153,000 miles! Sold it with 160,000 to a college friend, but wish I would have kept it! Very reliable and economic. Sharp! Looking for another one!

Favorite Features

Beautiful blue paint. Nice-looking interior, kind of cheap though better than the Olds Alero. Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The PASS-lock system was going bad when I sold it. It would not let me start it on occassion; I would have to sit for 10 minutes and wait. There was also a clunking noise in the rear (probably struts but they appeared to be in good shape).

Getting ready to say goodbye...
By Becky

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've had my Malibu for a few years and it is with mixed emotions that I say goodbye. However, my extended warranty is now up and that can't be good! I have 93,000 miles on it and it is overall in good shape minus a few dings. I like the car, but not the problems, especially the brakes! I have had them replaced twice (including rotors) in the 4 years I've had it, plus the alternator, water pump and various belts. I'm sticking with Chevrolet and hoping I'll have less headaches with my new purchase.

Favorite Features

Interior, stereo system, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brake problems, as mechanics state that the Malibu is known for bad brakes.

Malibu
By Sharon

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

As for me, I just purchased my Malibu a month ago from the one and only owner. Great price and so far it has treated me good. We took it on a 300 mile ski trip this past weekend in the snow and it handled very well. The previous owner said they had to replace the fuel pump at 35k and the air conditioner not long after purchasing it. I hope and pray it will continue to treat me good!

Favorite Features

I love the amount of room, my husband is almost 7' tall and can drive this pretty comfortably! The driver side cup holder in the dash is great for my AM Starbucks too!

Suggested Improvements

No suggestions as of yet!

Bad Bad Car
By Joshua

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since new and everything has been replaced. Everything that other people have mentioned going wrong has also happened to me.... Have had the brakes replaced 10 times since new! Went through a whole set of tires in 8 only months because the front end is messed up and there's nothing the dealer can do unless I spend $1500. This car has dealt with quite a bit of abuse on my part but I would never get another one or recommend it to another person.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, Design of dashboard, size of trunk, backseat comfort

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY!!!! Front seats are not very comfortable for long trips of any sort.

97K miles and going strong
By JNM

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my car in 2000 w/ 27000 miles on it. I have been in two front- end accidents with this car (one being quite major). After reading the other reviews, I thought to myself that I must have the best 98 Malibu ever built. I have NEVER had anything major wrong with this car. The most I have ever had to spend in the shop at one time is $200, and that was just recently for high mileage maintence. This car has 97K miles on it now. The only reason why I'm selling it is because of the mileage factor. This car has treated me very well, and I drive like a maniac!

Favorite Features

Stylish interior, dependable, roomy, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

I came from an Acura, so the ride could be a little smoother, and the acceleration is a little slow but still decent.