Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Blue Lemon!
By Howie

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My employer picked up this car in September 2001 and it's been a nightmare ever since. Right from the start, something was dysfunctional in the heating system, so no heat blew to the feet. (And, being from Manitoba, you need all the warmth you can get in winter!) Eventually, that cost nearly $1000 to fix. Then, at 100K, the head gasket gave out (coolant into oil pan, etc.). Another $1000 repair. At 200K, the intake manifold gasket bit the dust - another $1000 gone. Stay away from this car! The heating system is awful, the glove box falls out & the seats are intolerable for anything but short trips. I'd rather take my 1992 Camry than this car anywhere any day! Parts are expensive.

Not bad gas mileage for a V6. Stereo is not bad. My wife likes the variable sound level.

Build a quality car. These cheap throw away cars are what drove GM to bankruptcy. Employers - don't make your employees drive Chevys!

Never Again!
By Morgan

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have had problems from the start. Replaced alternator, breaks, struts. Can not afford to replace the coolant leak, exhaust problem, and rear struts all at once. I did take care of the car...but it is very unreliable. Will never by a Chevy again.

The only good thing this car has done for me is help me gain a good relationship with my mechanic.

Great transmission and engine
By stillrunning

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1998 Malibu used back in Jan of 1999. Since then, the only major problems have been: ABS light not turning off/Driver side window failed/overheated once/rear brakes/O2 sensor clog which caused the Check Engine light to come on. We've taking it from DC to Florida and from NC to CA and back, with a trailer. It's been a great car overall. Never had any Transmission problems or severe engine problems of any kind. I'm looking forward to reaching 200,000 miles on it soon :) You can get one very cheap nowadays. Treat it good and you'll be set for 200K miles too. I'd say it's been a great buy for my family over the past 10+ years. Cheers to Chevy!

-Exterior body style -Interior room

-Interior quality and look -Needs 4 wheel disc brakes as standard

Can't Complain
By Mike

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought my Malibu new in 98. Since then I've changed the alt 3 times, starter once, ignition switch 3 times, A/C relay (for fan control) once, lower control arms once each and A/C compressor twice. Also, the engine once with a rebuilt motor but that was strictly my fault. I average changing the intake manifold gasket at least once a year when I notice the external leak. I would like to complain about it but seeing my Malibu just crested over 360,000 miles I don't see where it would make sense. Oh and the cd player in my radio stopped working but I don't know when that happened. It's a very nice midsized car. Still original Transmission.

Nice ride and decent acceleration. Handling doesn't feel "spongy" and suspension does not have that floating feel of some other cars. Good cargo space, nice room for passengers and relatively easy to work on.

Please shoot the person who designed the intake manifold. I would buy a new engine tomorrow if it were properly designed and would fit in this car. Electrical gets quirky after 160,000 miles. Also, make an oil filter which can't leak across the engine when being changed.

Driving mine for 5 yrs now
By Dixon's

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have had mine 5 yrs now. I loved it at first, but it has begun to wear out. It has a 115,000 miles and is still going strong.

love the body style and the handling when it was newer.

had to replace the motor mount twice, ballbearing in the right axle sheared and had to be replaced. the car has begun to vibrate when it gets over 60-65mph.