1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
The Car That Couldn't
By jackdaniels80 on 07/01/08 13:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My very first car, bought at 18 year olds. I still love this car despite it being written off last year. Purchased at 200,000 Km, had major issues all around. Crazy sounds from dash. Head gasket blew, never did it professionally fixed, I just didn't care at that point. Felt like it would stall when reversing, idle was so rough, had 2 tune-ups, nothing fixed it. Steering wheel was stiff, felt like power steering was blown. Alternator snapped off the engine mount. Right front end snapped with the control arm. Transmission kicked all the time. Daytime running lights only worked when they wanted to. Fog lights didnt work regardless of bulb change.

Problems
By Ron on 04/20/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 120,000 on it, concerned about the engine and tranny but had them checked out and until now 170,000 (tranny is out) both have done well. However everything else seemingly has gone wrong. Ignition switch, heater control, abs system, wheel sensors and on and on.

A pretty good car
By Joe on 03/29/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

V-6 1998 Malibu has served me well. I have 126,000 miles and she still rides well. Proper maintenance and the car will last.

180,000 miles with no effort
By David Doering on 08/12/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

For the money this has been a great car. I have never been stuck on the road. Have had it towed from the house twice for serpentine belt issues, but that is great for the way I have taken care of it. The original brakes and rotors were horrible as has been well documented with this car, but cheap replacements have done well for many miles. I am starting to have rust near the gas cover. I have seen this on two other Malibus as well. Overall, I have been extremely pleased with the value of this car.

Great car
By chevy_man2u on 06/28/07 18:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I drive my Dad's 1998 Malibu with a 3.1L V6, and everyone says it's horrible. Well, in all the time we've had it, we never had problems with it. We got 43 mpg highway, average 30mpg city, 25mpg with my teenage driving. It has great performance, it's comfortable, and I've had very few problems with it. However the problems I had were from me putting off regular maintenance. The car handles great, and when I get on the highway I never have to worry about coming on too slow. It stops well, turns well. This car is awesome

Overall Fair
By davidred on 04/24/07 13:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This car currently has about 116,000 miles on it and we are the only owners. It was purchased brand new back in 1998. I have some very mixed reviews on the car over all. Mostly with areas of suspension, A/C control and ABS light. We also had a the CD player replaced while it was still under warranty. The body of the car has done well over the past nine years and the engine just recently started giving us trouble. We have a coolant leak into the engine. Overall I give the car a fair rating. I probably would not buy another one.

My Review
By jayman2176 on 03/25/07 19:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my aunt at 61,000 miles. I have had some of the same problems that most of you did. Brakes go in 15,000 miles even with aftermarket brakes. ABS sensor goes bad. Faulty automatic winder motors. Pull goes out. The base line performance lacks but I many performance parts added to the motor and suspension. It made it a good track car after modification. But all and all it still an American made car which means it will never be better than a 7 out of 10.

OK-good car
By asdfjkl; on 06/15/06 07:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Was great for about nine months, then little things started to happen. Check engine light came on. Took it to autozone for diagnostics and they told me it was a camshaft position sensor. Its acceleration improved after that. The starter failed me in December...which I fixed. The V6 does not give a do-it-yourself person much room to work around. The wheel bearing on the front right side became very noisy and had to be replaced. As far as minor annoyances: Vent selector knob broke (without abuse), the "ding ding ding" of the alert when you get in the car or are low on gas is very annoying, cornering isnt great, nor is mpg. It's an ok-good car. Not the best, nor the worst I've owned.

American Trash
By ayoung on 06/12/06 12:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

The V6 is strong but as with most American cars, it is poorly built. At 100,000 the intake manifold gasket went. I can already tell the transmission is living on borrowed time as it, like most American transmissions, can't make up its mind which gear it needs to be in. It also shifts hesitatingly. Fortunately this was a hand me down from my wife's parents and we have only had to pay for the repairs, not the car. I just wish the American's could build something that lasts.

Mt 1998 Malibu LS
By Jan on 06/06/06 07:07 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have loved this vehicle since day one! It has out performed my expectations and handles the road like a champ! My mileage has ranged 25 city and 32 highway consistantly for eight years!