1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Chevrolet is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By jromerules on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing nut a headache. Since 11/98 it has had three brake jobs, AC worked on 4 times, power seat repaired, stereo replaced, cassette deck replaced twice, three batteries, alternator replaced, water pump replaced and power window repaired. AC has gone out again. GM does not care. Thank God we bought the extended warranty or we would have to pay more than our deductible every time. Stay away from Chevrolet!!!!!!

I love this car
By Daniel Robles on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in early 2000... had it for 2 years. I've had to change the oil a few times, but other than that, the car runs great! I only spent 6500 on it, and so far, it's been a great investment.

Watch Out!
By JKBaumgard on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Head gasket leaked coolant into engine with only 48,000 miles on engine. This is happening on other six cylinder Malibus too. GM would not offer help in paying for repairs.

Thank Goodness for warrantees You need i
By at on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I was very disappointed with this purchase, and because it lost value so quickly, I feel strange trading it in... I have taken this vehicle in about 8 times for front end work all under warrantee, but now i'm starting to wonder... 1. control arm in front (sqeak within the first 4k miles), 2. bushings in back (sqeaking on a new car?), 3. three sets of disc rotors (they warped under the weight of the vehicle), 4. engine mounts collapsed, 5. head gasket (coolant spilling into engine!), 6. rear electric window problem (did not fix), 7. unexpected bad handling in windy conditions, 8. front end shaking at Hwy speeds. I wish I had bought a HONDA ACCORD -- it still would be worth a few BUCKS!

A good Camry substitute
By nerdboy1987 on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car 4 years ago, when I was in the 7 th grade and 13 years old, I thought it was a piece of junk Chevrolet and it wouldnt last over 75,000 miles. Well I was very incorrect in that assumption. The car now has 110,000 miles on it and it is my first car. Other than the poorly designed brakes that constantly need replacing (because of the retarded abs disc\rear drum)and the sub par interior controls this car has serverd our family well!

98 Malibu problems
By jmahonis on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Front brakes get wobbly way too soon (rotors warped). Had to have rear bushings replaced twice, an ABS speed sensor went bad, and, worst of all, something like front strut mounts had to be replaced. Most of these items are things I never had to have service on with any other cars.

Big Disappointment
By plr882 on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Thought I was getting a great package with this car. Found out later this car has many problems. First the fuel pump, then problem with the pulleys which destroyed my power steering pump. Had to replace serpentine belt twice. A/C control head went up and dealership broke my CD player and knocked a grommet loose in the firewall which created a leak. One disaster after another!! No problem with brakes though. Latest problem is the lower intake manifold gasket. That'll cost $500+ to fix. Car only has 50K miles on it!! I can't wait to get rid of this piece of junk!

Wonderful Car
By jaqueline on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car at a certified dealer, 35,000 miles with an extended 3 year warranty (bumber to bumber). We love the way it drives, standard features are great, v6 engine.......Best of all my children love it. I would recommend this car to the average "american buyer".

Looks Can Be Deceiving
By Dustin on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought the car after lease in July of 2001 from dealer. Since then I have already replaced the breaks (rotors worn totally down) and had the transmission completely rebuilt at only 41,303 milesand $2200. The electrical system has also failed twice (all power and guages shut down while driving). As I am typing this my car is sittig at AAMCO for the second time since purchase.

Nice bad for the money
By MrRLJ on 03/17/02 00:54 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Pretty nice vehicle. Have not had any major problems with it. Agreed that it does not make a fashion statement, but who cares. Check out the Malibu...not as bad as you would think. Surely has impressed me.