Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

An Underrated Mid-Size Sedan
By Andrew A.

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My wife wanted an Camry but when we priced up all the options that we wanted it was much more expensive than a comparably equipped Malibu LS. The Camry that fit into the price range of our Malibu had roll down windows and a 4-cylinder engine. I don't care how refined it is 133 horsepower is not enough to move a 3,000 pound sedan. The Malibu has a V-6 standard which is powerful enough to move this mid-size sedan. We have just over 120,000 miles on it and have only had to have normal routine maintence and the dealer service has been excellent and i will keep going back to Chevrolet's.

Favorite Features

I like the MPG that it gets. We always take it on trips.

Suggested Improvements

I love power and could just imagine the 3800 S/C V-6. This car would fly. Lighter than Regal's, Grand Prix's and Impala's with the same power.

Sorry Engine
By okiecityguy

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I liked my Malibu. I was excited to get it. BUT...The first year I had it it had a computer malfunction. There have been a series of small things since. AC switch erratic, had to replace the alternator. Belt pully went bad. But now. Now the engine (V6) is shot! Losing coolant at an alarming rate. Needs intake gaskets! This car only has 77K miles! Sorry GM, I'm out on your vehicles. My 98 Pontiac Montana (3.4L) is doing the same thing. It's in the shop now.

stuck with mine
By cronic dissapointmen

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I've had each of the problems everyone else had. Quickly worn brakes (x2), failed alternator, failed battery, failed tensioner, failed water pump, leaking intake gasket, failed a.c. switch, broken glove compartment latch, steering wheel finish worn off, cheap interior quality, erratic a.b.s. light and the list goes on.

Favorite Features

I admit it is a comfortable car with plenty of interior room and a copious trunk.

Suggested Improvements

This car is an engineering failure. The lack of dealer support to recify the problems is the real disappointment. I won't make this mistake again. I guess G.M. is more concerned about S.U.V's.

Good car, little maintenance
By revjmike

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Chevy Malibu as a pre-owned vehicle with 33,000 miles on it already. I now have put just under 100,000 miles on it giving it a total of 129,000 miles. It continues to handle extremely well, even though I have not replaced struts or shocks. The engine still has plenty of zip; and my only significant repair has been tensioner replacement. Quite frankly I am astonished at the quality of this vehicle. This is one of the few cars I have owned where I have never doubted whether I made the right choice or not

Favorite Features

Handles like race car. Avg. 27 MPG! Tilt steering wheel more stable. Trunk is enormous! Back seat leg room and comfort compare to much larger vehicles!

Suggested Improvements

Front seats need structural improvement. Odometer is difficult to read in daytime.

It's a POS - DON'T BUY ONE!
By IHATEGM

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We have had the engine overhauled. All parts replaced in the entire engine, suspension and exhaust systems. Interior is as plan as it can get. Seat are uncomfortable for long trips. The car could not have been made or designed any worse

Favorite Features

NONE!

Suggested Improvements

Drop the car line!