Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Good and Bad
By pinkprincerl

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and then it died on me so I had to replace the motor (that was my cars third new motor). My car now runs pretty well considering that it is from 1998. I am great at making sure my car has enough gas and regular oil changes. This car is bad if you don't treat it right but with a little TLC, it is pretty nice. I get about 20 mpg and drive it at least 30 miles a days. I hope that in 2 years from now, my car will still be able to satisfy a person that needs a reliable car for school.

I love the comfort and warmth that I feel in my car. The heat and air still works. The cruise control is a great feature when I am feeling a bit too lazy to press on the gas pedal. I also like the exterior of the car a lot. My car has a tiny bit of rust that is not that noticable. If you take care of your car and its needs.. it will take care of you and your needs.

This car could of been built a little better and as I've noticed with the newer malibu's, chevy has improved a lot with their vehicles.

Need big pocket book 2 keep it going
By kevin

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

GM messed this one up, needs repairs on everything, very noisy cabin, would not ever buy this model again.

Blue Lemon!
By Howie

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My employer picked up this car in September 2001 and it's been a nightmare ever since. Right from the start, something was dysfunctional in the heating system, so no heat blew to the feet. (And, being from Manitoba, you need all the warmth you can get in winter!) Eventually, that cost nearly $1000 to fix. Then, at 100K, the head gasket gave out (coolant into oil pan, etc.). Another $1000 repair. At 200K, the intake manifold gasket bit the dust - another $1000 gone. Stay away from this car! The heating system is awful, the glove box falls out & the seats are intolerable for anything but short trips. I'd rather take my 1992 Camry than this car anywhere any day! Parts are expensive.

Not bad gas mileage for a V6. Stereo is not bad. My wife likes the variable sound level.

Build a quality car. These cheap throw away cars are what drove GM to bankruptcy. Employers - don't make your employees drive Chevys!

Never Again!
By Morgan

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had problems from the start. Replaced alternator, breaks, struts. Can not afford to replace the coolant leak, exhaust problem, and rear struts all at once. I did take care of the car...but it is very unreliable. Will never by a Chevy again.

The only good thing this car has done for me is help me gain a good relationship with my mechanic.

Great transmission and engine
By stillrunning

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1998 Malibu used back in Jan of 1999. Since then, the only major problems have been: ABS light not turning off/Driver side window failed/overheated once/rear brakes/O2 sensor clog which caused the Check Engine light to come on. We've taking it from DC to Florida and from NC to CA and back, with a trailer. It's been a great car overall. Never had any Transmission problems or severe engine problems of any kind. I'm looking forward to reaching 200,000 miles on it soon :) You can get one very cheap nowadays. Treat it good and you'll be set for 200K miles too. I'd say it's been a great buy for my family over the past 10+ years. Cheers to Chevy!

-Exterior body style -Interior room