1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Good and Bad
By pinkprincerl on 10/09/12 23:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and then it died on me so I had to replace the motor (that was my cars third new motor). My car now runs pretty well considering that it is from 1998. I am great at making sure my car has enough gas and regular oil changes. This car is bad if you don't treat it right but with a little TLC, it is pretty nice. I get about 20 mpg and drive it at least 30 miles a days. I hope that in 2 years from now, my car will still be able to satisfy a person that needs a reliable car for school.

Need big pocket book 2 keep it going
By kevin on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

GM messed this one up, needs repairs on everything, very noisy cabin, would not ever buy this model again.

Blue Lemon!
By Howie on 08/04/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My employer picked up this car in September 2001 and it's been a nightmare ever since. Right from the start, something was dysfunctional in the heating system, so no heat blew to the feet. (And, being from Manitoba, you need all the warmth you can get in winter!) Eventually, that cost nearly $1000 to fix. Then, at 100K, the head gasket gave out (coolant into oil pan, etc.). Another $1000 repair. At 200K, the intake manifold gasket bit the dust - another $1000 gone. Stay away from this car! The heating system is awful, the glove box falls out & the seats are intolerable for anything but short trips. I'd rather take my 1992 Camry than this car anywhere any day! Parts are expensive.

Never Again!
By Morgan on 07/30/09 15:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had problems from the start. Replaced alternator, breaks, struts. Can not afford to replace the coolant leak, exhaust problem, and rear struts all at once. I did take care of the car...but it is very unreliable. Will never by a Chevy again.

Great transmission and engine
By stillrunning on 07/24/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1998 Malibu used back in Jan of 1999. Since then, the only major problems have been: ABS light not turning off/Driver side window failed/overheated once/rear brakes/O2 sensor clog which caused the Check Engine light to come on. We've taking it from DC to Florida and from NC to CA and back, with a trailer. It's been a great car overall. Never had any Transmission problems or severe engine problems of any kind. I'm looking forward to reaching 200,000 miles on it soon :) You can get one very cheap nowadays. Treat it good and you'll be set for 200K miles too. I'd say it's been a great buy for my family over the past 10+ years. Cheers to Chevy!

Can't Complain
By Mike on 04/30/09 10:12 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Malibu new in 98. Since then I've changed the alt 3 times, starter once, ignition switch 3 times, A/C relay (for fan control) once, lower control arms once each and A/C compressor twice. Also, the engine once with a rebuilt motor but that was strictly my fault. I average changing the intake manifold gasket at least once a year when I notice the external leak. I would like to complain about it but seeing my Malibu just crested over 360,000 miles I don't see where it would make sense. Oh and the cd player in my radio stopped working but I don't know when that happened. It's a very nice midsized car. Still original Transmission.

Driving mine for 5 yrs now
By Dixon's on 03/17/09 19:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had mine 5 yrs now. I loved it at first, but it has begun to wear out. It has a 115,000 miles and is still going strong.

Nit picked to death
By Ron on 01/26/09 12:49 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought for step daughter at 120k, now with 175k. Drive train held up till about 170 with no issues, then head gasket went and tranny that you can not service, had to be replaced. I did not mind those due to mileage but the rest of the vehicle a disaster, abs, ignition, passlock, heater control, ABS sensors and more, majority items where maintenance can not be done.

It's a Chevy
By Dean on 12/13/08 16:33 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Our 1998 Chevy Malibu has been a nice car. But is very average & now at 100,000 it has required several times going to the shop. Leaky oil, tie rod, etc. Good work car

The Car That Couldn't
By jackdaniels80 on 07/01/08 13:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My very first car, bought at 18 year olds. I still love this car despite it being written off last year. Purchased at 200,000 Km, had major issues all around. Crazy sounds from dash. Head gasket blew, never did it professionally fixed, I just didn't care at that point. Felt like it would stall when reversing, idle was so rough, had 2 tune-ups, nothing fixed it. Steering wheel was stiff, felt like power steering was blown. Alternator snapped off the engine mount. Right front end snapped with the control arm. Transmission kicked all the time. Daytime running lights only worked when they wanted to. Fog lights didnt work regardless of bulb change.

1 2 3 4 5 next »