Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

From a College Commuter
By alirios

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for around $3500 and it is definitely worth it. It's alright on gas. I work weekends and put 32 miles in total on that travel. Then, I put around 40 miles throughout the week and only put $17 of gas weekly. I've had this car for some time now and the only thing wrong with it was a little ring piece for the A/C which the mechanic fixed for free during an alignment/oil change. The A/C blows nice and the size of the car is good enough to fit 5 people max. I plan on getting to the 200,000 mark from it's current 128,000. Just perform general maintenance of your car and don't be and idiot and this car will treat you with respect.

Favorite Features

A/C, remote lock, and power windows and driver seat. Also, I like how I can fit my spare tire in a hidden compartment in the trunk. It allows you to store the spare in the trunk without it taking up any space. The v6 engine is nice too, it's good to know your car has power just in case you need. (Driving and stopping up hills with a 4 cylinder is not fun.)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really. Maybe more miles for your gas, but I guess you can say that with most cars. I'm loving this car.

My Malibu
By drewsookz

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I am now 17 years old and my dad has just given me the family 1998 Malibu. Bought brand new in 1998 with almost all of the features available. It now has 300 000km on it and is running just fine. Aside from my dad never taking care of the car (oil changes once a year) I am amazed that it still runs. It charges through Canadian winters like a champ with no snow tires unlike all of those crappy Camrys or Accords. It blows away every single foreign sedan I see on the road and I love it. I am sad to see it go next spring when we upgrade to a new Chevy, but yes, Chevy has won me over and I will definetly purchase a vehicle from them.

Favorite Features

Love the seats and the amazing sound system of a 1998 chevy. Amazing car for under 30 grand back in 98 and I am very proud to say that it is still running today in 2012.

great car
By tmhires

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car in 98 used with 17+k and it now has 248759 on the OD i change the oil every 3000mils and check the tranny fluid every few oil changesits been to NY and IN many times and never had anything go wrong but once in the winter when i went to IN the starter went out but hey it was the OE part it came with so no worries there i would tell ppl to buy one love it

Favorite Features

love the room it has and trunk space

Suggested Improvements

wish it came in standard

don't buy it!
By tessnluke

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used when it was only 2 years old and had low mileage. Nothing but problems with it. it was absolutely horrible. I must have spent thousands on repair and maintenance on this over the years, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

the interior looks really nice. the seats were comfortable, fully loaded it has nice features. the V6 has power, fun to drive in that regard. you can pull out in front of someone and take off like a bolt no problem. WHEN it's working/running well.

Suggested Improvements

where to start. I had to replace the fuel injection system, the motor mounts, a cracked block, the alternator, starter, battery and battery cables, brakes and rotors twice, tuned it up about 3-4 times and i faithfully got oil changes. Everytime i turned around this car had something wrong with it. it was horrible. Thank got for AAA! I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something else i replaced. I finally got rid of it when the engine started to lose compression. My mechanic said get rid of it ASAP it's gonna go. and that was it. got rid of it the next week and went with a TOYOTA! no more american cars for me, they just aren't relaible.

Possibly worst car in America..
By monty9025

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I drove this car since last August, and it had very low miles, so I said why not? Ohh god, worst decision ever. Theres some clanging under the floorboard going faster than 10 mph, brakes needed changed twice already. It has 140,000 on it now, put new struts on it all around, new tires, battery, headlamps, left fog light fell off. Chevy, you're the worst manuf. ever. Own this car if you and 7 doctors live together, because it gets horrible gas mileage (13-15, if you drive carefully). It has noooooo power going up a hill, has to drop 3 gears and then screams. After 130 thousand miles, it developes this problem of extended cranking. It will start, but prepare to be embarrassed for 10-15 secs.

Favorite Features

Key fob, left handed drink caddy

Suggested Improvements

Ughh. Better mpg, bigger engine, or better calibration between engine/tranny: theres no power! Find the problem with the extended cranking. Power steering has issues, it just stops working, parents: don't put your kids in this, the steering just locks up. Chevy burned me with this car, and by burned, I mean smoldered, slowly. Cd player doesn't work, had to buy one, when cold the rear end jumps and tranny clunks. Caution: don't clean the carpet with anything but cleaner diluted with water, it will turn pink! This is my warning to you, when you get in it the next day, it's literally pink. Engine mounts are made out of probably plastic bags, need replaced a lot. I'm 6'3 and there is no room.