1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
From a College Commuter
By alirios on 07/25/13 13:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for around $3500 and it is definitely worth it. It's alright on gas. I work weekends and put 32 miles in total on that travel. Then, I put around 40 miles throughout the week and only put $17 of gas weekly. I've had this car for some time now and the only thing wrong with it was a little ring piece for the A/C which the mechanic fixed for free during an alignment/oil change. The A/C blows nice and the size of the car is good enough to fit 5 people max. I plan on getting to the 200,000 mark from it's current 128,000. Just perform general maintenance of your car and don't be and idiot and this car will treat you with respect.

My Malibu
By drewsookz on 11/15/12 18:47 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I am now 17 years old and my dad has just given me the family 1998 Malibu. Bought brand new in 1998 with almost all of the features available. It now has 300 000km on it and is running just fine. Aside from my dad never taking care of the car (oil changes once a year) I am amazed that it still runs. It charges through Canadian winters like a champ with no snow tires unlike all of those crappy Camrys or Accords. It blows away every single foreign sedan I see on the road and I love it. I am sad to see it go next spring when we upgrade to a new Chevy, but yes, Chevy has won me over and I will definetly purchase a vehicle from them.

great car
By tmhires on 10/27/12 11:04 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car in 98 used with 17+k and it now has 248759 on the OD i change the oil every 3000mils and check the tranny fluid every few oil changesits been to NY and IN many times and never had anything go wrong but once in the winter when i went to IN the starter went out but hey it was the OE part it came with so no worries there i would tell ppl to buy one love it

don't buy it!
By tessnluke on 09/26/12 15:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used when it was only 2 years old and had low mileage. Nothing but problems with it. it was absolutely horrible. I must have spent thousands on repair and maintenance on this over the years, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Possibly worst car in America..
By monty9025 on 06/19/12 15:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I drove this car since last August, and it had very low miles, so I said why not? Ohh god, worst decision ever. Theres some clanging under the floorboard going faster than 10 mph, brakes needed changed twice already. It has 140,000 on it now, put new struts on it all around, new tires, battery, headlamps, left fog light fell off. Chevy, you're the worst manuf. ever. Own this car if you and 7 doctors live together, because it gets horrible gas mileage (13-15, if you drive carefully). It has noooooo power going up a hill, has to drop 3 gears and then screams. After 130 thousand miles, it developes this problem of extended cranking. It will start, but prepare to be embarrassed for 10-15 secs.

Great Malibu
By rocknjim08 on 11/22/11 13:23 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in the summer of 2011 with 125,000 miles on it. I drive for pizza companies and it is now at 150,000. I only had one problem with the alternator. Inside is OK, just a little small for my taste but still great value for $1400.

Great Car
By Css08 on 02/14/10 09:36 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used w/ 135 K, now at 165 K w/ little problems. These cars will last to 200 K if maintained. It does hesitate starting sometimes and the theft system light will come on making it not start for 10 minutes. Body rusts on back wheel wells and by gas tank. Gas mileage is average. Overall, good car if you maintain it.

Good when it wants to be
By bryguyknowsall on 11/23/09 11:49 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car back in 07 with 42,000 miles on it. Since then I had to replace the rack and pinion, inner and outer tierods. Back swaybar. Completely overhauled the braking system. The engine is still purring. Great car since I bought it with all these problems with it in the first place. Nice car lovin the rust on the gas dispenser. Love the way the fabric on the roof is peeling. But it never really left me stranded.

High Mileage Winner
By Tony on 02/25/09 21:57 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Malibu purchased brand new with 205 miles. With regular maintenance and now high mileage motor oil it has been outstanding vehicle. While under warranty I have had to have the head gasket replaced and the catalytic converter due to coolant leakage. The dealership did forget to grease spark plug when replacing 'em and it cost them to repair their mistake for a fused spark plug. It has stranded me only once in all 265K miles when a main pulley froze causing the serpentine belt to break I had replaced two weeks earlier. Head gaskets have been the main issue and took advantage of having the timing belt chained twice so far.

Solid car for the money
By Granite on 07/06/08 10:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My first V6. Great pickup for the highway or accelerating. Will coast at 40-45 no problem. Fuel economy could be better, but it stays very consistent 25-29MPG city or highway, which isn't bad for a 10yr old V6. MPG will start to drop if low on oil or coolant, but top them off and it picks right back up. Very comfortable interior, a 3-hour drive doesn't feel like it in this car. Heat and A/C work fantastic. No problems in the coldest winter or hottest summer.