Used 1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

My Malibu
By Rick

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

First of all this car is no where near luxury so if your looking to buy your first car with an upscale cabin with a button happy dash, your barking up the wrong tree buddy. This car is for the mondern teen. It has help haul people all across the state of arizona & when it needed to it indeed DID haul ass. Well for the 3.1L V6 atleast, idont know about the smaller engine. Anyways , idont know what those other reviews are talking about when they said " problem after problem " , because the only problem i ever encountered was a blown out turn signal, which was a super easy fix. 7 bucks later & i had no issuse. My car has 178,239 miles as of right now & i got the car when it only had 80,000 miles on it. And its still running strong. The only thing i would complain about is the a/c unit. Theres a copper peice inside of it that when you press the air recycler it dosent go. But again , an easy fix.

From a College Commuter
By alirios

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for around $3500 and it is definitely worth it. It's alright on gas. I work weekends and put 32 miles in total on that travel. Then, I put around 40 miles throughout the week and only put $17 of gas weekly. I've had this car for some time now and the only thing wrong with it was a little ring piece for the A/C which the mechanic fixed for free during an alignment/oil change. The A/C blows nice and the size of the car is good enough to fit 5 people max. I plan on getting to the 200,000 mark from it's current 128,000. Just perform general maintenance of your car and don't be and idiot and this car will treat you with respect.

A/C, remote lock, and power windows and driver seat. Also, I like how I can fit my spare tire in a hidden compartment in the trunk. It allows you to store the spare in the trunk without it taking up any space. The v6 engine is nice too, it's good to know your car has power just in case you need. (Driving and stopping up hills with a 4 cylinder is not fun.)

Nothing really. Maybe more miles for your gas, but I guess you can say that with most cars. I'm loving this car.

My Malibu
By drewsookz

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I am now 17 years old and my dad has just given me the family 1998 Malibu. Bought brand new in 1998 with almost all of the features available. It now has 300 000km on it and is running just fine. Aside from my dad never taking care of the car (oil changes once a year) I am amazed that it still runs. It charges through Canadian winters like a champ with no snow tires unlike all of those crappy Camrys or Accords. It blows away every single foreign sedan I see on the road and I love it. I am sad to see it go next spring when we upgrade to a new Chevy, but yes, Chevy has won me over and I will definetly purchase a vehicle from them.

Love the seats and the amazing sound system of a 1998 chevy. Amazing car for under 30 grand back in 98 and I am very proud to say that it is still running today in 2012.

great car
By tmhires

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car in 98 used with 17+k and it now has 248759 on the OD i change the oil every 3000mils and check the tranny fluid every few oil changesits been to NY and IN many times and never had anything go wrong but once in the winter when i went to IN the starter went out but hey it was the OE part it came with so no worries there i would tell ppl to buy one love it

love the room it has and trunk space

wish it came in standard

don't buy it!
By tessnluke

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used when it was only 2 years old and had low mileage. Nothing but problems with it. it was absolutely horrible. I must have spent thousands on repair and maintenance on this over the years, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

the interior looks really nice. the seats were comfortable, fully loaded it has nice features. the V6 has power, fun to drive in that regard. you can pull out in front of someone and take off like a bolt no problem. WHEN it's working/running well.

where to start. I had to replace the fuel injection system, the motor mounts, a cracked block, the alternator, starter, battery and battery cables, brakes and rotors twice, tuned it up about 3-4 times and i faithfully got oil changes. Everytime i turned around this car had something wrong with it. it was horrible. Thank got for AAA! I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something else i replaced. I finally got rid of it when the engine started to lose compression. My mechanic said get rid of it ASAP it's gonna go. and that was it. got rid of it the next week and went with a TOYOTA! no more american cars for me, they just aren't relaible.

• SUV