1998 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

1998 Malibu Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
From a College Commuter
By alirios

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for around $3500 and it is definitely worth it. It's alright on gas. I work weekends and put 32 miles in total on that travel. Then, I put around 40 miles throughout the week and only put $17 of gas weekly. I've had this car for some time now and the only thing wrong with it was a little ring piece for the A/C which the mechanic fixed for free during an alignment/oil change. The A/C blows nice and the size of the car is good enough to fit 5 people max. I plan on getting to the 200,000 mark from it's current 128,000. Just perform general maintenance of your car and don't be and idiot and this car will treat you with respect.

Favorite Features

A/C, remote lock, and power windows and driver seat. Also, I like how I can fit my spare tire in a hidden compartment in the trunk. It allows you to store the spare in the trunk without it taking up any space. The v6 engine is nice too, it's good to know your car has power just in case you need. (Driving and stopping up hills with a 4 cylinder is not fun.)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really. Maybe more miles for your gas, but I guess you can say that with most cars. I'm loving this car.

My Malibu
By drewsookz

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I am now 17 years old and my dad has just given me the family 1998 Malibu. Bought brand new in 1998 with almost all of the features available. It now has 300 000km on it and is running just fine. Aside from my dad never taking care of the car (oil changes once a year) I am amazed that it still runs. It charges through Canadian winters like a champ with no snow tires unlike all of those crappy Camrys or Accords. It blows away every single foreign sedan I see on the road and I love it. I am sad to see it go next spring when we upgrade to a new Chevy, but yes, Chevy has won me over and I will definetly purchase a vehicle from them.

Favorite Features

Love the seats and the amazing sound system of a 1998 chevy. Amazing car for under 30 grand back in 98 and I am very proud to say that it is still running today in 2012.

great car
By tmhires

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car in 98 used with 17+k and it now has 248759 on the OD i change the oil every 3000mils and check the tranny fluid every few oil changesits been to NY and IN many times and never had anything go wrong but once in the winter when i went to IN the starter went out but hey it was the OE part it came with so no worries there i would tell ppl to buy one love it

Favorite Features

love the room it has and trunk space

Suggested Improvements

wish it came in standard

don't buy it!
By tessnluke

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used when it was only 2 years old and had low mileage. Nothing but problems with it. it was absolutely horrible. I must have spent thousands on repair and maintenance on this over the years, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

the interior looks really nice. the seats were comfortable, fully loaded it has nice features. the V6 has power, fun to drive in that regard. you can pull out in front of someone and take off like a bolt no problem. WHEN it's working/running well.

Suggested Improvements

where to start. I had to replace the fuel injection system, the motor mounts, a cracked block, the alternator, starter, battery and battery cables, brakes and rotors twice, tuned it up about 3-4 times and i faithfully got oil changes. Everytime i turned around this car had something wrong with it. it was horrible. Thank got for AAA! I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something else i replaced. I finally got rid of it when the engine started to lose compression. My mechanic said get rid of it ASAP it's gonna go. and that was it. got rid of it the next week and went with a TOYOTA! no more american cars for me, they just aren't relaible.

Possibly worst car in America..
By monty9025

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I drove this car since last August, and it had very low miles, so I said why not? Ohh god, worst decision ever. Theres some clanging under the floorboard going faster than 10 mph, brakes needed changed twice already. It has 140,000 on it now, put new struts on it all around, new tires, battery, headlamps, left fog light fell off. Chevy, you're the worst manuf. ever. Own this car if you and 7 doctors live together, because it gets horrible gas mileage (13-15, if you drive carefully). It has noooooo power going up a hill, has to drop 3 gears and then screams. After 130 thousand miles, it developes this problem of extended cranking. It will start, but prepare to be embarrassed for 10-15 secs.

Favorite Features

Key fob, left handed drink caddy

Suggested Improvements

Ughh. Better mpg, bigger engine, or better calibration between engine/tranny: theres no power! Find the problem with the extended cranking. Power steering has issues, it just stops working, parents: don't put your kids in this, the steering just locks up. Chevy burned me with this car, and by burned, I mean smoldered, slowly. Cd player doesn't work, had to buy one, when cold the rear end jumps and tranny clunks. Caution: don't clean the carpet with anything but cleaner diluted with water, it will turn pink! This is my warning to you, when you get in it the next day, it's literally pink. Engine mounts are made out of probably plastic bags, need replaced a lot. I'm 6'3 and there is no room.

Great Malibu
By rocknjim08

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in the summer of 2011 with 125,000 miles on it. I drive for pizza companies and it is now at 150,000. I only had one problem with the alternator. Inside is OK, just a little small for my taste but still great value for $1400.

Favorite Features

The body holds up great. The motor is strong and solid. Tranny shifts smooth and quietly.

Suggested Improvements

Needs 6" more of center console, maybe a second cup-holder.

Great Car
By Css08

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used w/ 135 K, now at 165 K w/ little problems. These cars will last to 200 K if maintained. It does hesitate starting sometimes and the theft system light will come on making it not start for 10 minutes. Body rusts on back wheel wells and by gas tank. Gas mileage is average. Overall, good car if you maintain it.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, big trunk, lots of space

Suggested Improvements

center console isn't the greatest. The LS rims peel off even if you clean them. Rust on this model on wheel wells.

Good when it wants to be
By bryguyknowsall

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car back in 07 with 42,000 miles on it. Since then I had to replace the rack and pinion, inner and outer tierods. Back swaybar. Completely overhauled the braking system. The engine is still purring. Great car since I bought it with all these problems with it in the first place. Nice car lovin the rust on the gas dispenser. Love the way the fabric on the roof is peeling. But it never really left me stranded.

Favorite Features

Great pickup. the interiors nice. engine purrs. and handles great

Suggested Improvements

reevaluate the steering system. put in a higher amp alternator. and higher quality speakers.

High Mileage Winner
By Tony

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Malibu purchased brand new with 205 miles. With regular maintenance and now high mileage motor oil it has been outstanding vehicle. While under warranty I have had to have the head gasket replaced and the catalytic converter due to coolant leakage. The dealership did forget to grease spark plug when replacing 'em and it cost them to repair their mistake for a fused spark plug. It has stranded me only once in all 265K miles when a main pulley froze causing the serpentine belt to break I had replaced two weeks earlier. Head gaskets have been the main issue and took advantage of having the timing belt chained twice so far.

Favorite Features

Excellent acceleration! Great handling and Pperformance as I get 33-35 mpg Hwy 25-28 mpg city gas mileage is excellent. Huge trunk. Very comfortable for driving long distances.

Suggested Improvements

Radio & cassette player still work/CD player quit long ago along with Radio's LED lights. I'm willing to loan this model back to GM/Chevy national headquarters to figure out what they did right and then give it back to me with radio/cd player that works and lights up! Poor paint on top of rear bumper

Solid car for the money
By Granite

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My first V6. Great pickup for the highway or accelerating. Will coast at 40-45 no problem. Fuel economy could be better, but it stays very consistent 25-29MPG city or highway, which isn't bad for a 10yr old V6. MPG will start to drop if low on oil or coolant, but top them off and it picks right back up. Very comfortable interior, a 3-hour drive doesn't feel like it in this car. Heat and A/C work fantastic. No problems in the coldest winter or hottest summer.

Suggested Improvements

Better center storage. Rear window controls on the driver's console can get stuck.