1997 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Perhaps the worst car ever

1997 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Review

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Perhaps the worst car ever made
By StevenSouthwell on

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This was the worst car I have ever owned. I purchased it brand new off the lot in 97. It was completely unreliable. I had too many problems to mention them all here. The biggest problems were electrical and the front end. Chevy did not stand behind this product and did nothing to fix the problems. They did get really good at saying "that is not covered under warranty." I spent close to $6,000 on repairs in two years of ownership. (This was a brand new car.) This is actually lower than some people I have talked to who also purchased one.

Favorite Features

This is not really a feature but it was pretty neat anyway. The ignition switch would freeze. The key would not turn. It happened once every couple months. Chevy could/would not fix it. Their solution was "take off your shoe or find a book and hit the key with it." It worked.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy should stand behind their products. I know they all can't be winners, but when I spent over $17k on a new car I would expect some service.