1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
okay
By Verrell Haywood on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

A lot of issues, except with the engine and transmission.

Proud Malibu owner!
By JOhnny Rios on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Malibu I bought in Jan of 1998, with only 2k miles on her. Since then I have placed 94k miles on my 3.1 v6 motor! It been a awesome car, I do alot of trips between San Antonio, TX USA and Mexico City with is a hard 1,216 mile drive thru deserts and mountain. My Malibu has not acted up once, PLEASE BE ADVISE! you must do regular oil changes and etc.. Alot of people complain but they dont take care of their car!

chevy malibu
By Richard Rights on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

car performs well. has not given me any trouble.

One of the Best GM Products I have owned
By WCHA on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle new in 1997 and have been very happy with it overall. With over 160K miles on it now it has performed well. The V6 engine and four speed automatic transmission are perfectly matched. Typical highway milage of about 29 MPG - not bad for the 170 HP V6. In typical GM style, this vehicle is not without it's problems. At 50K miles it needed a new torque converter and at about 80K a lot of new front end parts to tighten things back up. Replacement parts have lasted longer than the originals. All in all, this is still one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

The Good and The Bad
By Anil_V_Reddy on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I ran into maximum problems between 43K miles and 62K miles. Steering fluid leak - 43K miles Brakes wear out - 44K miles CV joint replacement - 47K miles Gasket leakage - 52K miles Another set of brakes - 53K miles Replaced alternator - 58K miles Yet another set of brakes - 62K miles. If you don't believe me, I have all the receipts. Surprisingly, after the last bout at 62K miles, it has run very well (knock on wood) and I now have 94K miles

Will never buy another Chevy.
By CheyHater on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Don't ever buy one of these unless you have a lot of money and time to waste. A whole lot better to pay a couple grand more and buy and Accord or a Campry or an Altima.. or anything else.

Better than Ford
By Dmitriy Melkumov on 10/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I got very good deal on it only $4000 and i didnt expect to see a lot of difference between my Ford Contour and this one. I was mistaken . This is defently a better car overall. Espessialy in build quality. I didnt have the car for a long time so i have nothing to say about reliability. Its working now at least...And if you like to listen to music change the front speakers. It cost only around $ 50.

OK
By Ryan111 on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car has good power and nice design. It had a leak in the coolant system that was easilly fixed, but the engine isn't running the smoothest anymore at 78,000 mi

not to bad
By huff_daddy456 on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Got a 1997 in April of 2001. I found one with only 30K and got a decent aftermarket warranty.(7 years or 100K miles bumper to bumper) Thank god I paid the extra money for this warrenty because in the past year its only fun me about $200 to get over $4000 of work done. The intire front electronics system went out and I lost all my speed sensors, power everything, and the factory standard alttenator has gone out 3 times. Even though this stuff has happened I love this car. Because of the V6 and heavier car its a great ride and I have to drive 21 hours to visit family and believe me its been a life saver.

Not happy
By BadMalibu on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought car used with 30K miles. Everything fine for the first 10K, then just fell apart. Nothing but problems - wheel bearing went, front end and motor was so loose the car would actually stall from the wires being pulled out when stopping or starting out. Ignition switch went and burned out starter at the same time. Way too many problems for a car with under 60K miles on it. Very noisy, feel every bump in the road.