1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Fixer upper!
By stranded in PITT on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

LOTS of things broke. In for linkage work throughout entire first year. Elec problems; leaves in fan - several blown switches; wipers severed from frame; air blows in through handles; tires do NOT HOLD air (alum rims???);

Steer clear of these!
By TeeSorter on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had my Malibu for only 2 years, and in that two years, it has been nothing but problem after problem. I bought the car with only 68,000 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from actually put about 1500 bucks into it during the first 6 months I had it (part of the selling agreement to fix some of the things)....I hate this car, and will never own another Chevy after this. Every fluid the car has in it, other then the brake fluid has leaked at some point. I just received a recall on it. The driver's side power window works when it feels like it.

dont buy
By tn on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

this was the first car i ever financed,thought i was getting a great deal, within the first month my anti- theft system locked up, and my power window/lock switch broke. i went through 2 sets of brakes, one day it wouldnt start, had it towed to chevy dealership were it sat for 4 days i couldnt get them to look at it. my husband ended up fixing it in the parking lot himself. 1 week before i traded it the emegency brake got stuck i could still drive it but every time i pulled out it made the dinging sound. the bad part is i only owned it 1 year.

1997 Malibu
By roberth on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

puschased this veh at 36k miles, appently all the good had been used. had trouble with alignment on rear tires. car vibrates excessively and the road noise is terrible. car was quasi- ok for the first year we had it, put in a new battery. had the alternator replaced. last year the water pump went out. that is quite a chore!! had to remove the timing chain.would not recommend this car to others.

I love my malibu
By ktcjt on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have enjoyed my malibu. great family vehicle. we have taken many long and short trips in this care, truck size is great, ride is smooth and comfortable. 4 adults can comfortably sit in the car. Need some work on the brake system, the glove compartment doesn't close flush, and the a/c system constantly gets leaves in the coils.

Great reliability and comfort
By Blewjaye on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

this car changed gears smoothly, was quick off the line, and extremely comfortable. I am 6 feet tall and over 200lbs, and this by far was the most comfortable car in its class. Steering handled well, sound on stereo very nice, and always a crowd pleaser when parking near a large group of people.

Bad Car
By boshkash on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Very Bad break system, avd A/C

Crappy Car
By katmay on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for what I thought was a deal at 4,000.00. In the past month have had to replace brakes, rotors, wheel bearings (twice), tire rod, and left front axel. All at only 79,000 miles. This car is junk, all I have to say is never buy american made cars and never buy as is.

Perhaps the worst car ever made
By StevenSouthwell on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This was the worst car I have ever owned. I purchased it brand new off the lot in 97. It was completely unreliable. I had too many problems to mention them all here. The biggest problems were electrical and the front end. Chevy did not stand behind this product and did nothing to fix the problems. They did get really good at saying "that is not covered under warranty." I spent close to $6,000 on repairs in two years of ownership. (This was a brand new car.) This is actually lower than some people I have talked to who also purchased one.

MalibuLemon
By NoMoreChevys on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought a Lemon! Bought car in 97 and loved it for about six months. 3 factory alternators, power-steering replaced, power window problems, engine is noisy, Front speakers broke. Seat belts have been replaced, front lights leak, tail lights blow blulbs, too many problems to list all of them. Car has over 139,000 miles & V-6 has lost its get up and go. Will NEVER buy another. Too many problems both minor and major!