Used 1997 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

35mpg v6 + reliable!
By chevyman

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

1 alternator and tires/brakes in 135,000 miles! Gets 35 mpg and the new cars with V4's can't do that! Great car. Too bad used American cars are worthless, but then again, why would I ever sell it?

MPG, adequate power, interior design works

Driver door won't stay open on any incline when parking

Great Car
By knoxdj

1997 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Has been a great car... would recommend to anyone if it has the 4- cylinder... Do not purchase the 6- cylinder everyone I know that has one has problems after problems. Biggest thing we had to replace is the water pump. I have owned this car for 5 years and it has been the most reliable yet. Great buy!!

Fuel economy, few mechanical problems

Cup holder near the driver side door needs to go!!

Love it!
By Runt

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Not one problem EVER! Love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything. Will be my Son's car next year, that is how much I think of this car.

Interior and exterior design are tight.

Maybe a bit better mileage.

Malibu: practically trouble free car
By asucincyoh

1997 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Mailibu in April of 2001. It had 73,000 miles on her. I had no vehicle trouble on any of these trips. My only complaint about the car is the fuel economy. For a 4 cylinder the gas mileage isn't that great. The most I ever got out of a tank of gas was 367mi on 15 gal tank. But dependibility wise this is the best car I have ever owned. The only part to ever break on the car was the altenator. That broke at about 90k mi. And it cost about $100 to replace by myself. But in 135k that was the only part to break. I would recomend a Mailibu to anyone who wants a dependable car. Also, the power is decent and it is fun to drive for a four door sedan.

Dependability! And the standard ABS and cruise control. Interior design.

An additional A/C / heat vent for the people in the back seat.

I will miss it!
By Sonia Q

1997 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My very first car. The re-introduction of the classic Malibu, great looking body style, and good price got my attention. Since purchasing in '97, I put on 78,000 miles on it. Although it was 4 cyl. and no frills, it fulfilled its purpose to get me around but it also looked stylish (I have gold color). The car never left me stranded BUT, for the last 7K miles, I've had a water pump leak problem.

The exterior style-the gold color looks very stylish with tint. Very roomy back seat and very nice looking cloth interior(beige). I also liked the convenience of the left cup holder and the option to put on fog lights. I never did it but you can also get a spoiler to make it look even better.

Fix the water pump/gasket leak problem! Bottom line, all Chevy dealers know what the problem is but very costly to fix, and once you think it's repaired, it'll come back to haunt you! I replaced the water pump twice and it still didn't go away until I fixed the gasket. Also, lots of wind noise.