Used 1997 Chevrolet Malibu Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Most Helpful|
Poor quality
By consultant3

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased car from family/original owner at 40k. 6 cycl. 40k replaced alternator, brake pads and adjustment, battery and tires by 30k, by 70k serp belt, headliner-visor worn, a/c - Freon, now at 78k, oil pan gasket leaks, est. -up to $300. Suspension is bad, you feel every minor bump. This is the fifth and last gm for me. Imports are not perfect, but, this is terrible! I might try a Mazda?

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Install better quality parts like the imports do. Longer warranty, 70k.

Money pit after 100,000 miles
By matty

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this Malibu with 50k on it. It now has 140,000. One thing I noticed on this car was that as soon as I hit 100,000 all the nickel and dime crap would break. I had to replace all the pulleys because a bearing went bad, replaced the ignition cylinder lock which turned out that if it fails you need to buy the ignition switch as well. I try to do my own repairs this repair went from 35 bucks to 285 in parts I had to buy both. (awesome engineering, way to go gm) the build quality with gm has been crap for many years as well as the other 2 manufacturers. Things break that shouldn't. Driving down the road one day and the overhead light just came off. Come on! Really? Average.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

attention to details, make things last

Could be cheaper to maintain
By Would I do it again?

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Rebuilt transmission $2,500, replaced steering rack $800. Rear brake adjusters seem not to work well on this model which causes high front brake wear. Have put two sets of rotors on and many pads on front. Have replaced the water pump twice. Due to the way the water pump is driven from the timing chain. It has a long shaft. That is subject to a high side load on the front bearing from the oil pressure activated chain tensioner .Chevy dealer here wants $800 plus to do the repair. Spring rates on the front struts are high which causes the front shocks ride at a extended height that causes early front shock failure. Replaced 3 sets. The car now has 166k and still going

Crappy car
By jescalex

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has been through 2 water pumps, one timing chain, (due to a dumb mechanic!), I have had brakes put on 4 times. It wears tires quick. Everything that goes wrong is very expensive to fix. Brakes alone for this car are $150. This car is not worth any amount of money paid for it. I know it's a used car but 2 water pumps in 6 months. That's nuts!

Suggested Improvements

Everything under the hood! And the gas cap. Doesn't go on good and then the check engine light comes on!

Not a bad car
By Cory R. Yost I

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Ever since I have had my license I have always bought GM cars. I believe in supporting the American auto companies and I have never had very many problems with them, and if I did they are cheap to fix. I recommend this car to someone that is looking for a standard and reliable vehicle!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, handling

Suggested Improvements

Fix the lower intake manifold gasket problem. It seems that many people have had those go on their Malibu's.