1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Money pit after 100,000 miles
By matty on 07/17/10 18:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this Malibu with 50k on it. It now has 140,000. One thing I noticed on this car was that as soon as I hit 100,000 all the nickel and dime crap would break. I had to replace all the pulleys because a bearing went bad, replaced the ignition cylinder lock which turned out that if it fails you need to buy the ignition switch as well. I try to do my own repairs this repair went from 35 bucks to 285 in parts I had to buy both. (awesome engineering, way to go gm) the build quality with gm has been crap for many years as well as the other 2 manufacturers. Things break that shouldn't. Driving down the road one day and the overhead light just came off. Come on! Really? Average.

Could be cheaper to maintain
By Would I do it again? on 01/31/09 09:59 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Rebuilt transmission $2,500, replaced steering rack $800. Rear brake adjusters seem not to work well on this model which causes high front brake wear. Have put two sets of rotors on and many pads on front. Have replaced the water pump twice. Due to the way the water pump is driven from the timing chain. It has a long shaft. That is subject to a high side load on the front bearing from the oil pressure activated chain tensioner .Chevy dealer here wants $800 plus to do the repair. Spring rates on the front struts are high which causes the front shocks ride at a extended height that causes early front shock failure. Replaced 3 sets. The car now has 166k and still going

Poor quality
By consultant3 on 04/23/08 12:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased car from family/original owner at 40k. 6 cycl. 40k replaced alternator, brake pads and adjustment, battery and tires by 30k, by 70k serp belt, headliner-visor worn, a/c - Freon, now at 78k, oil pan gasket leaks, est. -up to $300. Suspension is bad, you feel every minor bump. This is the fifth and last gm for me. Imports are not perfect, but, this is terrible! I might try a Mazda?

Not a bad car
By Cory R. Yost I on 04/08/07 19:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Ever since I have had my license I have always bought GM cars. I believe in supporting the American auto companies and I have never had very many problems with them, and if I did they are cheap to fix. I recommend this car to someone that is looking for a standard and reliable vehicle!

Crappy car
By jescalex on 04/08/07 00:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has been through 2 water pumps, one timing chain, (due to a dumb mechanic!), I have had brakes put on 4 times. It wears tires quick. Everything that goes wrong is very expensive to fix. Brakes alone for this car are $150. This car is not worth any amount of money paid for it. I know it's a used car but 2 water pumps in 6 months. That's nuts!

Great Car
By knoxdj on 12/29/05 10:09 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Has been a great car... would recommend to anyone if it has the 4- cylinder... Do not purchase the 6- cylinder everyone I know that has one has problems after problems. Biggest thing we had to replace is the water pump. I have owned this car for 5 years and it has been the most reliable yet. Great buy!!

Malibu: practically trouble free car
By asucincyoh on 08/09/05 16:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Mailibu in April of 2001. It had 73,000 miles on her. I had no vehicle trouble on any of these trips. My only complaint about the car is the fuel economy. For a 4 cylinder the gas mileage isn't that great. The most I ever got out of a tank of gas was 367mi on 15 gal tank. But dependibility wise this is the best car I have ever owned. The only part to ever break on the car was the altenator. That broke at about 90k mi. And it cost about $100 to replace by myself. But in 135k that was the only part to break. I would recomend a Mailibu to anyone who wants a dependable car. Also, the power is decent and it is fun to drive for a four door sedan.

I will miss it!
By Sonia Q on 03/31/05 23:08 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My very first car. The re-introduction of the classic Malibu, great looking body style, and good price got my attention. Since purchasing in '97, I put on 78,000 miles on it. Although it was 4 cyl. and no frills, it fulfilled its purpose to get me around but it also looked stylish (I have gold color). The car never left me stranded BUT, for the last 7K miles, I've had a water pump leak problem.

1997 Malibu NY
By CM on 03/31/05 20:59 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

MY 97 Malibu - Great Car for the price I paid. Large enough to be comfortable and small enough for easy driving in the city. Mechanicals OK - a bit sluggish and mpg seems to be poor. Styling is adequate, not flashy. Repairs are few. Water pump most expensive repair yet. Hope to keep this for a few more years. My son could use it for college.

1997 malibu
By r m on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 97 Malibu is still running fine - had to replace water pump at 22000 mi- and window control for driver side. Car is OK