Used 1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Money pit after 100,000 miles
By matty

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this Malibu with 50k on it. It now has 140,000. One thing I noticed on this car was that as soon as I hit 100,000 all the nickel and dime crap would break. I had to replace all the pulleys because a bearing went bad, replaced the ignition cylinder lock which turned out that if it fails you need to buy the ignition switch as well. I try to do my own repairs this repair went from 35 bucks to 285 in parts I had to buy both. (awesome engineering, way to go gm) the build quality with gm has been crap for many years as well as the other 2 manufacturers. Things break that shouldn't. Driving down the road one day and the overhead light just came off. Come on! Really? Average.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

attention to details, make things last

Only buy if you need a cheap car
By K Webb

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Multiple problems. Was fine for me for the two years, but buttons fall off in the climate control, intake gasket leaks, and car just isn't built great. If you only have $1500, buy it. Don't expect any money back.

Favorite Features

Low price.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality.

Could be cheaper to maintain
By Would I do it again?

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Rebuilt transmission $2,500, replaced steering rack $800. Rear brake adjusters seem not to work well on this model which causes high front brake wear. Have put two sets of rotors on and many pads on front. Have replaced the water pump twice. Due to the way the water pump is driven from the timing chain. It has a long shaft. That is subject to a high side load on the front bearing from the oil pressure activated chain tensioner .Chevy dealer here wants $800 plus to do the repair. Spring rates on the front struts are high which causes the front shocks ride at a extended height that causes early front shock failure. Replaced 3 sets. The car now has 166k and still going

1997 Chevy Malibu LS-V6
By Anthony

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2002 with 90,000 miles. It now has 171,000 and I only had to replace 3 parts, altenator, water pump, and thermostat. They were really cheaps parts and I've never had to replace anything else besides tires and brakes. It's a really good car and I recommend it to anyone. I've added a cold air intake for a few extra horses and it shows

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission, peppy V6, and pretty smooth suspension

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the Delco sound system. Could use better cupholders and add about 30 for horses

Poor quality
By consultant3

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased car from family/original owner at 40k. 6 cycl. 40k replaced alternator, brake pads and adjustment, battery and tires by 30k, by 70k serp belt, headliner-visor worn, a/c - Freon, now at 78k, oil pan gasket leaks, est. -up to $300. Suspension is bad, you feel every minor bump. This is the fifth and last gm for me. Imports are not perfect, but, this is terrible! I might try a Mazda?

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Install better quality parts like the imports do. Longer warranty, 70k.