1997 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Only buy if you need a cheap car
By K Webb on 05/22/10 21:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Multiple problems. Was fine for me for the two years, but buttons fall off in the climate control, intake gasket leaks, and car just isn't built great. If you only have $1500, buy it. Don't expect any money back.

1997 Chevy Malibu LS-V6
By Anthony on 11/14/08 20:08 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2002 with 90,000 miles. It now has 171,000 and I only had to replace 3 parts, altenator, water pump, and thermostat. They were really cheaps parts and I've never had to replace anything else besides tires and brakes. It's a really good car and I recommend it to anyone. I've added a cold air intake for a few extra horses and it shows

Great bang for the buck
By love my chevy on 02/05/08 13:54 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This car is so fun to drive. The perfect mixture of performance and fuel economy. We bought this car with a lot of highway mileage but it was a great little car. It still is and we have only had small problems that were easily fixed and back on the road. Even the usual gasket problem didn't affect it until over 120,000 miles. I can't complain. Beats the old Ford Taurus by a long shot.

'97 Malibu Review
By MalibuFan on 05/27/07 11:42 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the Malibu used with 40,000 miles on it. It was our second Malibu, with the first one totaled in a wreck. We drove the second Malibu to almost 140,000 miles before selling it. Overall, a good car with good gas mileage. We did replace the power steering pump, all of the front pulleys, and alternator during our 100,000 miles of use. At the time we sold it, the head gaskets were needing to be replaced (A $900 expense if done at the Chevy dealership). We would purchase another Malibu.

She's a good car
By OftheNorth on 03/08/07 20:38 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I know lots of people have had problems with their Malibu's, but I've had nothing. The car was purchased new and has been driven in the mountains, cross country, in city commuting mode and more. Its never failed me. It's currently serving me well in the Canadian north, where it fires up every time, even in -40 weather (without being plugged in). It gets good gas mileage (~35mpg) if one goes easy on the highway, but in city traffic, the best I can usually muster is 22 mpg. Not good there! It's a comfortable roomy car, and would make for a good first auto for a new driver. It's safe, not too fast and they're cheap to get parts for (most of the time!) While I'm no Chevy fan, iIdo like this car.

35mpg v6 + reliable!
By chevyman on 05/14/06 16:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

1 alternator and tires/brakes in 135,000 miles! Gets 35 mpg and the new cars with V4's can't do that! Great car. Too bad used American cars are worthless, but then again, why would I ever sell it?

Love it!
By Runt on 11/29/05 11:11 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Not one problem EVER! Love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything. Will be my Son's car next year, that is how much I think of this car.

A LEMON!!
By Debs24 on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

i owned my car for seven years. and unfortunatlly its paid and i cant buy a new one.but these are the things i have to share. had it two weeks the steering wheel harness shorted,2 sets of control arms,2 alternators,2 manifold gaskets,control board for tail lights,main computer had to b replaced,tracking bar was bent,2battery's,serpentine belt, now tensioner chatters,a/c control head 3 times, paint chipping the room,doesnt hold alignment,a/c doesnt function right,the first 6 months we had it we had to replace half of the interoir trim and seat cloth,now we have a piston slap,radiator cap was craked,4 sets of brakes,2 sets of rotors,leaves stuck in blower

Don't Buy First Year Models or Chevys
By msmiley on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in March of 1997 and had problems with it ever since. Let's see...3 lower control arms (they rattled), ABS sensor bad, #1 fuel injector bad, altenator quit, brakes wore prematurely, headlights fogged over, brake pedal pad fell off, rear window seal blew out, interior panelling came off, turn signal wouldn't cancell after making a left turn(took two dealership visits to convinve them it was actually malfucntioning), and numerous other problems. This car is junk, not even rental fleet worthy. I got a divorce and she got this hunk of junk, thank goddness. I bought an import which now has over 35,000 miles on it with NO problems.

Never buy the 1st model year of anything
By iluvtigr on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

As a long time GM owner,(11 to date),I was looking for a reliable, four- door "familymobile". Based upon Motor Trend "Car of the Year" status and use of a drive-train with a solid history I bought the first model year of the resurected Malibu nameplate. BIG mistake! Eleven dealer visits during warranty for various finish and mechanical items. The following items replaced OUT of warranty: Head gaskets (twice), ignition switch, A/C control head, ball joints & bushings. Nine sets of front brake pads and six rotors in 80,000 miles. It's time for a new car, but, sadly, this time it will be an import.