2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS Fleet Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Malibu-maxx - Consumer Reviews

2007 Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Sort Reviews by

Perfect blend of practicality and value
By hoss

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this dark red 'program car' as an ex-rental with ~10,000 miles on it in December '07. A certified used LT 2007 for $16,000. Great savings off of new and I don't particularly like the looks of the 2008. I love it so much more than the other cars I test drove (new foreign sub- compacts). Quality is on par and you get so much more for your money. Styling is great; mpg decent for V6 power; comfort; utilitarian design; safety features.

Favorite Features

Practical, hatchback, heated seats, XM, rear moonroof, tight quality feel

Suggested Improvements

MPG could be slightly better with 5 spd auto

Great mid-size car
By kagohio

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Maxx for 6 months and put 15,000 miles on it due to my commute and the Maxxhas impressed me every one of those miles. The seats are comfortable, the ride is smooth and quiet and most of the controls are easy to reach and read. . . and the sterring wheel radio controls are great. Have not been to the garage except for 2 oil changes. The rear wiper is great in the rain and snow to keep clear view out the back.

Favorite Features

Luxury and convenience package with the chrome wheels and foglights. Rear wiper. Factory remote start. Sunroof and rear skylight. Rear sliding tabletop.

Suggested Improvements

The instrument panel light knob and foglight button are placed right where my knee hits every time I get out of the car. Traction Control button and rear wiper button oddly placed on dash behind the gearshift, hard to see and use.

Feeling mixed about the Maxx
By HeatherBrooks

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I fell for this car when I found it in the used section of the dealership over a year ago. The XM radio, the wood trim (although it's fake), the zippy way it drives, the dvd player, the two sun roofs... all so neat! But the Maxx has been plagued with problems - mainly electrical. And I have been driving for 10 years with no problems with blowing out the tires, but I have gone through 4 different tires on this car apparently due to my driving (I was driving trucks before). I'm not sure that I would buy this car again. I think I would go for a Honda or Toyota (sorry Detorit).

Favorite Features

DVD player (although not currently working on my car), moon roof over back seat, back seats fold down, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

I'm no electrical engineer, but some where along the way, they didn't do a soild job on this car. Different features take turns not working (i.e., keyless entry, rear door, dvd player.)

Malibu LTZ
By KM

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Owned this car for over a year now. I had test driven the LS but the LTZ is a class above. I agreed with Edmunds (bland interior for the LS), but found the LTZ felt totally different. The leather wrapped steering felt much more comfortable, and the rest of interior did not feel cheap. Same with the wheels etc. I never read the manual much, so I keep finding new things in the car. When cleaning I found the audio volume control on the steering on the underside of other audio buttons. Recently I found out I could do tap-shift. I could not figure how to operate the +/- buttons earlier till I put the car in L coming downhill - it was so much fun!

Favorite Features

Adjustable gas and brake pedals. Remote start. Chrome wheels. Heated seats. Controls on steering. Tap shift. Sunroof and skylights at the back. Removable and washable cup holders There's tons of small well thought features

Suggested Improvements

Place fog light control on steering - not where I cannot see it. The traction control button is also in a bad location - accidentally keep hitting it when reaching for things. Simple standard audio jack in the stereo for MP3 players

Sports-sedan
By Manfred-J- Hinz

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced a 2004 Maxx with this 2007 Maxx SS. I was, and am, totally satisfied with the car. Finally a great eye-appealing sport sedan from GM and Chevy decides not to build this model for the 2008 Line-up. To limit production of this model to 3 years is questionable.

Favorite Features

Performance, eye-appeal

Suggested Improvements

Rear air ducts/diffusers and some real wood trim as part of the dash

Great College Vehicle
By Maxxd

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Malibu Maxx came out of no where while searching car lots, oddly enough it had every feature I wanted and for a very reasonable price. Don't believe the in-dash MPG rating, instead calculate it out yourself. I've found the computer is off by a large margin, including waiting at a light in the MPG calculation. I average (with city and highway) around 26-28 MPG. Great car for a college student like myself or a family just starting out.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, plenty of pep, decent gas mileage, storage, traction control, sport-shifter, nice audio system, 5 year warranty, price.

Suggested Improvements

MPG could be better, a slap-stick for the sport-shifter would be nice and an available AWD system would be excellent. Perhaps include HID lights stock as well.

Another American Built Lemon
By Lee

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After driving foreign built vehicles for the last 18 years, I came across this car at $3000 below blue book and bought it. Had I bothered to check that this garbage can had depreciated $15000 in 3 years, I would have passed. But alas, I didn't, and now I have the pleasure of fixing all the KNOWN GM design problems in the steering column, brake rotors, steering rack, and struts. I have had 1960 era cars with better steering and suspension systems. Of course because GMC is an American company, it is based on greed and not customer care; they refuse to fix/recall any of these problems because not enough people have died in the car. I look forward to the day when I can unload this lemon!

Favorite Features

Engine has good power, unfortunately you're so worried that the electric steering is going to fail and send you into oncoming traffic that you never really care to drive the car too fast.

Suggested Improvements

Where to begin: Improvements in the car would be to install a hydraulic power steering system, redesign brake/suspension/steering column. Fix creaks & rattles in interior.

Good car with nice surprises
By maxx lover

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Love the car; chose it over small SUV's and have no regrets. Loads of standard elements like remote start and automatic headlights; hatchback can be reconfigured to haul about anything. Small drawback is the 20mpg mileage with the 6 cyl engine.

Favorite Features

Remote start, heated seats, compass in rv mirror,interior storage compartments; rides like a full sized sedan

Suggested Improvements

Improved gas mileage or perhaps a hybrid in the future models

Great car
By JP53202

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

First off, the auto press nit-picking about the steering, gruff engine and interior simply are not true. The electric steering is just fine, it adjusts to vehicle speed and there is all the feedback of a hydraulic unit. I notice no difference and I have driven a lot of cars in my life. As for the engine, it's just as quiet and smooth as the V6 in my mom's Lexus RX300. The interior, well, on the LT it's cloth, not leather, but it's just as swank as my work mate's Accord LX - it's workaday, no doubt, but for a mid-line interior it's got what the others do. This car also handles and brakes very well, too. Don't let the press fool you - this car is every bit the equal of it's Japanese competition.

Favorite Features

TIght construction, handling, acceleration, fuel economy (avg 26.4 mpg so far in mostly city driving and that's with a 3.5L V6).

Suggested Improvements

Make steering wheel controls standard for all radios.

Perfect fit
By bobby g

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very pleased and surpised about the handling and comfortable fit of the seats and placements of all of the controls. Felt like I had this car for years, even though my previous car was a large rear wheel drive, the Malibu took no time getting used to it.

Favorite Features

All the controls seem to be placed in the right places. Fits like a glove.

Suggested Improvements

Place hooks for a cargo net up high on the rear deck for when shelf is in the highest position.