Used 2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Total garbage, run away!!!
By stevenhmiller

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Cheaply made and GM will not stand behind their product. Steering making bad clunking noise since about 9000 miles. Dealer claims cannot reproduce every time I brought it, which was at least 9 times. Once the warranty expired, suddenly they had no problem reproducing the issue. GM will not repair free of charge, even though I've been complaining about the issue for 3 years! Many others are complaining about the same issue with the same results. There were service bulletins for the 2004-2006 Maxx with the same problem. They refuse to issue one for the 2007. They're going to wait until someone is killed when the steering fails. Also, many other problems. FORGET THIS CAR, IT'S GARBAGE!!!

Too many to list. List about what's good about the car is shorter than what's bad.

Great Car
By Phil H

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it with 17,000 miles on it and have put another 60k on it. Great performer, 28-30 mpg in rural area, yet very peppy. Very versatile layout. Don't like rear skylights with curtains as the curtains sag since won't roll up tight. I also don't like the seats which are like a Saab with no lumbar support. Have only had to replace the outside mirror switch, but the fit and finish is only average.

excellent engine with peppy performance yet great gas mileage; very versatile cargo area for many uses.

needs better lumbar support in seats or use pillows for low back area; remove the rear skylight curtains and install dark tinting on skylights.

Still love it after 3+ years
By susieQ

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Found it on the dealer lot by accident. Didn't know this car was made. Perfect fit for me, love the adjustable pedals and dash lay out. Fog light knob could be easier to find. Hatch sometimes relocks before I get to it. Lots of back seat room for passengers. Lots of cargo space. Travel with 2 small dogs in a large kennel in the folded down rear space. I still have room to get in back and let them out of kennel with veh doors closed. Smooth ride, handles well. Backed out of a ditch using traction control; couldn't have done that with my other cars. I drive 60% highway 40% city ave. 25.8 highway; 21.5 in city. The SS has great pick up. Very sad it is not made any longer as I would buy it again!

Great vehicle for a smaller person. Easy to reach to hand wash. Adjustable pedals. Easy load hatch. Lots of cargo room, with comfortable roomy passenger compartment. Easy to back into small parking spaces.

Check why hatch door sometimes relocks before I can get to it to lift it up.

Problems already
By Mike 123

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used from a dealership, with 32k miles on it. I also own a 2005 Malibu sedan. I immediately noticed a clunking sound coming from the steering column when turning the wheel at low speeds. This is a sound I also noticed in my 2005 Malibu. I took it back to the dealer and they had to lubricate the intermediate shaft in the steering column. The shades to the sunroof also broke, so they ordered new ones for me as well. The car is comfortable, rides well and has good acceleration with the 3.5 liter V6. I don't understand how some people here are getting 29 mpg however, because I am getting about 18 mpg in mostly city driving. Disappointing mileage.

Roominess, comfort. Fold down rear seats allows you to carry a lot of cargo. Good engine performance.

Steering column problems. Sunroof shades are cheap. The remote lock sometimes doesn't want to work.

Best Bang for the buck
By jim

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car while I was a salesman at the dealer. Knowing the whole product line, I knew the best value when I saw it. The car has been great. 33.9 mpg on a recent trip to Florida, great in snow. Best brakes I've ever had on a car, great power and economy, cavernous storage space, comfortable seating and great stereo. The rear roof window shades could have been designed better, and there is a noise in the front end over bumps, other than that, no complaints, I'd buy another one in a minute. I'm on the road a lot in sales, and since the maxx is no longer available, my next car will probably be an Impala LT with leather.

Best brakes of any car I've ever had, stereo is great. Handling good. Versitility is awsome. Backseat room amazes passengers.

Fix the lingering minor front end issues, redesign the roof window shades. Deeper tint ( privacy glass) for rear doors and back windows. lots of glass area.

• SUV