Used 2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Great Car!
By nydogboy

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

97,000 miles later I've realized this is best car ever. The V-6 is quick, yet I get 31mpg at 74mph. A trip from NY to New Orleans and back netted 29.2 mpg and I admit to hitting 90mph a couple of times. Replaced front and rear brakes at 85k. Absolutely no problems. I live in Syracuse where 40% of the cars are rusted. My 6 year old Maxx has no rust. Get one! I will definitely get 200,000 miles from this car.

Favorite Features

heated seats, remote start, powerful yet economical V-6. Problem free.

Suggested Improvements

Start making them again.

But a better car.
By buzzcut73

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Maxx since early 2008. I have had many problems with this car. The front end shakes violently when braking (I tried new pads, discs, tires, resurfacing, inspections...etc...) The Maxx has electrical issues with wipers, fuel caps, temp sensors, map sensors, security system, etc... I would recommend considering a different car. I am surprised this car received the accolades that it did, there seems to be no reason to own it.

Favorite Features

The radio and cd player are decent.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the front end, it seems to be cheep and poorly built.

Very good car in a dull package.
By paul_jacob

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car out of necessity for a reliable, practical, and efficient car. It fits this build very well. The Maxx draws only a few looks from it's exterior, but to some, it is a rather good looking car (remember, we're not shopping for a coupe here). The interior is a bit bland, although everything is easy to use and functional. Interior quality will rival most competitors and is a big step up from the previous generation. Front seats are very comfortable although a bit flat, and rear leg room will beat much larger cars. I'm getting 30 mpg with about 80/20 highway/city. Driver feedback is minimal and leaves a lot to be desired. The 5 speed transmission is very good.

Favorite Features

Interior volume, surprising power, overall quality, good standard stereo, wide opening rear doors, safe

Suggested Improvements

Driving feedback, needs an AUX port, turning cirlce

First american car Chevy Malibu
By ryanbowman77

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I like the for getting me to school and it has been reliable since ibought it 4.5 months ago. My Mazda 6 would take anyday over the Malibu The outside is plane no nice lines and the interior look like a 3 year old drew it out

Favorite Features

It as been very reliable for me

Suggested Improvements

Get a real designer to scrap the malibu and start over.

Lame-mobile
By kmduym

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I purchased this car just over a year ago. We should have kept shopping. This vehicle is incredibly boring. From the exterior, it looks promising as a cute, responsible hatchback from an American-made car company. We had visions of fuel economy cresting 30mpg. We have held consistent at 21mpg. I would understand the low mpg's if the 6-cylinder could actually haul -- but it drives like a dog. Furthermore, the handling is so poor, with an overbearing torque-steer that sends you into a.) oncoming traffic or b.) the ditch. Not worth the money. Boring to drive. Cheaply made (rreeaallllyy cheaply made). A true disappointment.

Favorite Features

Huge backseat. Great for all those kids and passengers I don't carry. ... Honestly can't think of anything I would consider a "favorite" -- I am pleased that is hasn't stalled or thrown me off a bridge with the rubber-band, mamby-pamby steering. Oh wait! I love the remote start. Almost forgot because I have a garage and don't actually need to use it unless I'm walking to my car in a parking lot and feel like looking like a toolbag by pre-starting my car for the 50 feet that separates us.

Suggested Improvements

Although it's obvious there were too many improvements needed to be made, as Chevy ceased production of this fail-mobile, here's what I would change: Improve transmission, mpg, hardware, hatch logistics, cheap doors, steering, idiot light messages, wiper speeds, horse power, ... this is going to take all day. This car is just really lame and I feel empathy towards anyone else who was suckered into thinking this was a cool hatchback capable of getting good mpgs, being zippy (6 cylinder, hello, give me a little thrill) while looking moderately-stylish. This vehicle is cheap, non-impressive in fuel economy, and drives like a 3 cylinder Geo Tracker from the early 90's. Keep shopping!!