Hatchbacks are great!!
By Kit Gerhart on
2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)
I bought my car new in 2006, and it has been great. The seats are very comfortable for me on long trips, and, while not a sports car, it has plenty of power and handles well. I got the LTZ because I wanted a few gadgets like HomeLink that weren't available on cheaper trim levels. The gas mileage, while not great, is at least as good as could be expected for a car this size and power. I get in the low- mid 20's in mixed driving, and 29-30 on the interstate going as fast as I can get by with. The reliability has been great; I've had no problems in 3 1/2 years of ownership.
Favorite Features
Hatchback body style. Very comfortable seats (I'm 5'10" and 150#). Legible displays and logical controls. In the LTZ, there are convenience gadgets you pay extra for in many cars that cost $10,000 more.
Suggested Improvements
Sell a hatchback or wagon version of the new Malibu, preferably with the 4 cylinder/6-speed power train they have in the new Malibu sedan. Unless they sell a mid-size hatch or wagon again, GM will not have a chance at my business when I'm ready to replace my '06 Maxx in a couple years.