2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Lots of car for the money
By George on 12/01/06 09:49 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Feels, drives, and is equipped like a much more expensive car. Bought for wifey, she loves it too. Other car is an '06 Chrysler 300C, which of course I like even more, but this Maxx does not feel like too big a step down when I drive it, unlike the '02 Malibu we traded which was dependable but a noisy cheap ride. This is much more like it. The car was an absolute bargain. The current "Red Tag Sale" for '06 models is disguised rebate of $2500 to $3000 depending on region of US you live in. With GM credit card earnings of $2600, took home for under 15K, sticker was 22,700. Note of caution, about mid- model year, GM did not change invoice, but cut MSRP by 5%. Late 2006 MSRP closer to 21,700

Oatmeal is good for you
By GW in Maine on 11/27/06 18:49 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am a 50 year old divorced white male. I require safety, reliability, versatility and economy (low cost of ownership) from a vehicle. I have grown to appreciate substance over style. My '06 Malibu Maxx did service as a rental car. There is an "every man" quality about it. Bland, in this case is a virtue. It is eminently competent without drawing too much attention to itself. I like the fact that ABS and traction control are standard. I like the radio controls and cruise control on the steering wheel. I like the hatch configuration and extra long wheel base. Chevy may not offer cutting edge technology, but this package works. I'm OK with an appliance.

Like it but...
By DKiD on 11/20/06 15:17 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love the way it handles, and the way it looks. Not too many cars look the same. The only problem I have is that I can't get even 18.5 MPG when everyone here is claiming 22--26 or so.

Great for Family of Five
By Charles on 11/09/06 09:05 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very surprising car, but it's based an an Opel, after all. We chose it over a Mazda 5 mini-mini van. Big and versatile enough for 3 boys aged 7, 10, and 12 for long trips and has enough room for our suitcases too. The van will stay home unless we take the camper on future trips. Bought it because Bambi wrecked our '89 BMW 325i, so we were kind of spoiled and skeptical, but not anymore! Great features for the price, especially with the rebates. XM radio is excellent, would not have bought it except it was already installed which we're glad of. With the 2006 interior updates and more external chrome it looks more contemporary. Hope it proves reliable!

LTZ MAX
By LTZ Maxx on 10/27/06 16:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We went to the dealer with the intention of buying an Impala. The salesman suggested that we take a look at the Max. We found that with 2 young children that it would probably be a good car for us with the windows above the rear seats and the rear dvd system. The kids love it and so do we. We definitely would suggest at least getting an LTZ model. The bigger wheels and chrome accents really add to the looks. We like it more and more. We commute about sixty plus miles per day a combination of highway and city driving and have averaged 28mpg and on our trip highway was 34ish.

GM Sales Consultant Owned
By Mitch Biggs on 10/09/06 10:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recommend the Maxx LTZ to anyone who loves functional space and long trip comfort. I average 24 mpg city and 30 on the Highway and have exceeded 34 mpg on some trips. A Large Size Pet Porter fits in the cargo area for hauling my 100 lb. labrador. A great amount of features for the money. As a performace oriented person, the LTZ is sufficient but I would love to try the SS on my next lease, as long as they add heated seats and auto dimming mirror options!

'06 Maxx review
By 4toz on 09/28/06 21:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought an '06 Maxx and love it so far. The only problems are the rear sun shades(1 broke the 1st day) and I seem to have a fluttering noise coming from the dash area. Otherwise, I love the power to economy ratio. It'll pass cars and gas stations.

I Love My Maxx
By Sxecanadiamark on 09/13/06 19:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my '06 Malibu Maxx for a week now, so I figured it was time to write a review. I love this car to death, it's very eye catchy. People are like, what kind of car is that, etc. I love the way they made this car spacious. ilove the fact they made it with an extra roof in the back so that your backseat passengers can look out as well. This car shocked me because at first I didn't like it, but once I drove it, I fell in love. I would recommend this car to everyone. It's very good on gas considering the increases in gas prices.

This is my 2nd Maxx
By bradley on 09/03/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I traded an '05 LS ex-rental car for my new LTZ. I was already impressed with the power this car puts out, and all the nifty little features that the interior has (sliding rear seats, etc.). My biggest gripes about the car are the electric steering calibration (could be stiffer at speed), and the CD radio. The radio itself sounds great, but this design has been out for 3 model years now, and as of yet there is no aftermarket support for it. Meaning if you car does not come with XM, you cannot add one directly to the stereo itself, must be FM modded. And no MP3 support either.

2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx SS
By Nate P on 09/02/06 15:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great vehicle, but has some engineering flaws. You cannot get heated seats in this car at all, even though you can get heated cloth in LT trim, nor an autodimming mirror. Also, due to the fixed rear glass and sunshades, there are some minor rattles. The exterior of this vehicle has sharp lines, and I love the factory remote starter. The wheels are a nice compliment to the car, but should have been offered with a polished or chrome finish. The dual exhaust adds a sporty look AND a nice sound to this car. Mechanically, 240 hp from the 3.9 V6 is sufficient. From time to time, though, I notice some knocking coming from the engine bay. You can only choose from 4 colors.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.