Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Maxx-imum Overdrive
By Shazzy V.

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for almost three years now. I originally fell in love with its sporty look, large, comfortable interior and huge storage ability. I have not been disapointed too much with this vehicle. I've had a really annoying rattle in the front dash since day One, but of course Chevy mechanics "Could not duplicate the problem." I talked them into replacing the heater motor and the rattle is still there. Also hate the brakes -- need to change them often and way underpowered for the car. And now my sunroof will not close when open unless I manually guide it in. I also get cruddy gas mileage, but I do have the larger 3.9 v-6, so I guess the extra performance outweighs fuel economy.

Roomy interior, very cool styling for SUV crossover, 18" tires and wheels look great, amazing rear seat leg room, lots of storage space, side air bags for safety.

Better brakes. I'm trying to teach my teenage sons how to drive in the car and they keep underestimating the braking distance which is a lot farther than any other car I ever drove.

I love my Maxx!
By Christiekersch

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven my car for 2.5 years now, and I absolutely love it. I drive quite a bit for work, and put on about 25,000 miles a year. I was fairly skeptical about buying a Chevy, but I decided to buy one since my Uncle works for GM. The extras in this car are unbeatable. The moon roof in the back and adjustable back seats give passengers a boost in comfort. I have had the dashboard vent "flutter" and the sun visor rattling issues. However, I took the car to the dealership and they fixed both under warranty. I have also had difficulties with the braking system. I had major rotor warpage at about 20,000 miles, and they fixed the problem under warranty. No problems since.

I love the radio controls on the steering wheel, the expansive leg room, the hatchback trey in the back with grocery bag hooks, all the cup holders, the communication center, and the gas mileage. I usually get 27-28 highway.

Brakes really need upgrading, roters seem to warp easily, blind spots.

Love from the beginning
By arkaypee

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My sales person took me to pickup my Maxx and as soon as I saw it I fell in love with it. Then I drove it and it was confirmed that this was the car for me.

Stereo w/CD Player, traction control, The way that the tranmission can be used as a sort of standard tranmision by going into low, the information center, the comfort of the seating and the rear removable deck.

I am having a little bit of noise from the lifters, need to do something about it.

This is a terrific mid-sized car!
By MKD

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I’ve owned my Maxx for two months and love it. I had to replace my 270,000 mi. BMW 318is commuter car and needed great gas mileage and four doors. I looked at Vibes and Mazda 3 wagons but liked the Maxx better. This car has exceeded my expectations! It has comfortable seats with lots of leg room, sun roofs front and back and the rear seat audio controls and headphones keep the kids busy and happy. The hatch area holds all our stuff. It is a fun car to drive. I like the power steering. Average mileage is 26/33 city/highway. Some don’t like the looks of the car but I do. This is a real winner! GM should build it with the new Malibu styling. Now that would be fantastic!

Good balance of engine power and gas economy - both are very good. Roominess throughout. Passenger comfort can't be beat. Stereo controls for driver and rear seat are nice. I'm sure I'll like the remote start this winter as well as the heated seats. I love this car!

I wish it had an MP3 connection for the stereo. Auto dimming rear view mirror. A better coin storage area. A heads-up display (OK, now I'm really reaching).

Maxx
By gto222

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a new 2006 Corvette at same time. Maxx is my work vehicle. Gas mileage is low (approx 22 mpg overall), performance is great. Suspension can be a bit tricky near the limit. Brakes were typical Chevy, poor. Replaced with aftermarket calipers/disk/pads. No surprise here as almost all Chevy brake systems are weak. Overall, very nice car for the money. Maxx will run circles around all the midsize sports sedans until you get into M3's, S4's and turbo stuff like a WRX. I am happy.

Hatchback design with the shelf and sack hooks. Car is dog ugly but highly functional.

Not much to say here since car is discontinued. Obviously, brakes need help. GM needs to understand that like power, there is no such thing are too much brakes.