Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Better than I expected
By Biff

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Having owned Volvos for ages, I was a little apprehensive about buying a Chevy but I couldn't turn down the deal I got as a GM supplier. The Maxx is a good, solid car. Yeah, some of the interior materials are a little basic and you can tell where they saved a few bucks, but it gets the job done. I love having a hatchback. Really handy. You can put a LOT of cargo in this car.

Favorite Features

Power, room.

Suggested Improvements

Rear brakes were shot at 25K which is a little odd. No other problems really. Dealer has been great.

Performance+Utility=Sick
By harjohn4

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with right around 30k. It was a lease turn in so i know it was treated well by the previous owner. Being an American car guy chevy has been all I have ever owned. I was tossing this car up with a mazda 3 hatch. This car had a much smoother ride and a ton more power, SS package sold. Ohh yeah and it had plenty of space for my bicycles to fit without needing a rack.

Favorite Features

Factory remote start, power, wheels and spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy even though it's to be expected from such a powerful car of its size. Interior light fuses blow often. Replacing with aftermarket led's to help the issue.

Hatchbacks are great!!
By Kit Gerhart

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new in 2006, and it has been great. The seats are very comfortable for me on long trips, and, while not a sports car, it has plenty of power and handles well. I got the LTZ because I wanted a few gadgets like HomeLink that weren't available on cheaper trim levels. The gas mileage, while not great, is at least as good as could be expected for a car this size and power. I get in the low- mid 20's in mixed driving, and 29-30 on the interstate going as fast as I can get by with. The reliability has been great; I've had no problems in 3 1/2 years of ownership.

Favorite Features

Hatchback body style. Very comfortable seats (I'm 5'10" and 150#). Legible displays and logical controls. In the LTZ, there are convenience gadgets you pay extra for in many cars that cost $10,000 more.

Suggested Improvements

Sell a hatchback or wagon version of the new Malibu, preferably with the 4 cylinder/6-speed power train they have in the new Malibu sedan. Unless they sell a mid-size hatch or wagon again, GM will not have a chance at my business when I'm ready to replace my '06 Maxx in a couple years.

my first maxx
By blueoleander

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 maxx ss model BRAND NEW in sept. 2009. For all you maxx lovers there is one more left, brand new in silver, ss model with dvd player, onstar and 2 sunroofs. Anyway, smooth quiet ride, lots of power, nice interior, awesome AC, lots of features. I like the adjustable gas/brake pedals, you can move them closer to you with push of button!

Favorite Features

adjustable gas/brake pedals, auto headlights, horsepower, wonderful steering(someone said not so good, I think not!)

Suggested Improvements

Others reported strange rattling noise on dashboard, I too experience this periodically, will have it checked. Gas mileage 16-17 city, 17-18 hwy, bummer, I don't speed much either. Needs protective cover for hatchback bumper near door, paint may get scratched when loading/unloading.

STS twin turbo 3.9l ss maxx
By wowza

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the SS Maxx from the first time I saw it. It is naturally fast. Very comfortable, and quiet (for those who like quiet, I prefer a throaty exhaust). I would totally recommend this car to anyone (modded or not)

Suggested Improvements

STS Twin turbo bolt on kit add 200 hp with minimal tuning (Bolted under the chassis not under the hood)