Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Can you say LEMON
By T.Moore

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx SS brand new and had it in the shop more times in the past 9 years then I have ever had any car in the shop! At 30 miles I started getting an engine misfire code all the way to the 100,000 mile mark when the engine took a s*^+. Cylinder 2, 4 and 6 were toast!! Due too a misfire code in cylinders 2, 4 and 6 hmmmmm. Every time I took the car into the dealership that I bought the car from I would be told that I didn't drive it hard enough and that my fuel injectors were dirty and had build up of carbon. Chevy wouldn't recall the motor or do ANYTHING to fix it!!

The breaking system......what a joke!!! The stock breaking system was too small for the car to begin with, according to the second dealership that I went to because the first dealership lost there Chevy dealership status, GO FIGURE!!!! In the first 4 years I replaced the rotors 4 times after having each set turned and resurfaced due to warping. After taking it to the second dealership and paying for the correct size breaks to be installed they never warped again! Again Chevy did nothing to resolve the problem!!

The rattle in the dash...had nothing to do with the dash or the heater! It was the windshield! Poor factory installation. I replaced the windshield when a good size rock hit me on the freeway and after the new windshield was installed there was no more rattle!!!!

Yes this car WAS a SUPER FUN, fast car when it wasn't in the shop!!! Or leaving me stranded!! I should have parked it across the street from the first dealership with a GIANT LEMON and a sign that listed all the problems that Chevy was UNWILLING or Unknowledgeable to fix! For anyone that says well you didn't maintain it correctly, I call BS. I put nothing but the best oil and gas into that car and followed ALL the factory recommendations for service. Extremely LOW mileage for a 9 year old car that was babied in every way except when it came to the throttle!

Tire woes....
By linda1951

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Maxx SS with just 48000 miles on it in Jan. 2013 the dealership pushed the fact of the low miles. I did ask for a bit on its history, they gave me a page that explained just oil changes. I knew better but was hoping it wasn't to bad with repairs. My problem is the car wears out the driver's side front tire. Just that one but it will kill off the tire in less than 20000 miles. So no matter what kind of tire you put there, it won't last. So the reason for the low miles on the car, the person that first owned it just didn't drive it much. So though I love the car, how it handles and all that. I too don't drive it much. :(

Love this 2006 malibu ss
By technomaster

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I really do love this malibu ss and it drives so smooth and fast. I get a lot of compliments about this car. It has a lot of truck room and seating is perfect for me. this is a car to get for sure. This car is so much better then hatchbacks out there and thats a fact.

The things I love about this car 1.tons of leg room 2.Seating is wonderful 3. Dual Muffler 4. Very Sporty 5. Drives So smooth 6.Very Reliable

None

Performance+Utility=Sick
By harjohn4

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with right around 30k. It was a lease turn in so i know it was treated well by the previous owner. Being an American car guy chevy has been all I have ever owned. I was tossing this car up with a mazda 3 hatch. This car had a much smoother ride and a ton more power, SS package sold. Ohh yeah and it had plenty of space for my bicycles to fit without needing a rack.

Factory remote start, power, wheels and spacious interior.

Fuel economy even though it's to be expected from such a powerful car of its size. Interior light fuses blow often. Replacing with aftermarket led's to help the issue.

my first maxx
By blueoleander

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 maxx ss model BRAND NEW in sept. 2009. For all you maxx lovers there is one more left, brand new in silver, ss model with dvd player, onstar and 2 sunroofs. Anyway, smooth quiet ride, lots of power, nice interior, awesome AC, lots of features. I like the adjustable gas/brake pedals, you can move them closer to you with push of button!

adjustable gas/brake pedals, auto headlights, horsepower, wonderful steering(someone said not so good, I think not!)

Others reported strange rattling noise on dashboard, I too experience this periodically, will have it checked. Gas mileage 16-17 city, 17-18 hwy, bummer, I don't speed much either. Needs protective cover for hatchback bumper near door, paint may get scratched when loading/unloading.