Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Tire woes....
By linda1951

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Maxx SS with just 48000 miles on it in Jan. 2013 the dealership pushed the fact of the low miles. I did ask for a bit on its history, they gave me a page that explained just oil changes. I knew better but was hoping it wasn't to bad with repairs. My problem is the car wears out the driver's side front tire. Just that one but it will kill off the tire in less than 20000 miles. So no matter what kind of tire you put there, it won't last. So the reason for the low miles on the car, the person that first owned it just didn't drive it much. So though I love the car, how it handles and all that. I too don't drive it much. :(

Favorite Features

The 240 horse engine a lot of fun driving it, doesn't get very good gas mileage but still fun to drive. I enjoy the XM radio, OnStar and the CD player for watching movies. It rides good, is shape looking, will still turn heads and looks great all waxed up. I can haul my large Husky dog and all my camping things in it too.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that I can think about, only wish Chevy would go back to selling them again. I would buy a new one.

Love this 2006 malibu ss
By technomaster

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I really do love this malibu ss and it drives so smooth and fast. I get a lot of compliments about this car. It has a lot of truck room and seating is perfect for me. this is a car to get for sure. This car is so much better then hatchbacks out there and thats a fact.

Favorite Features

The things I love about this car 1.tons of leg room 2.Seating is wonderful 3. Dual Muffler 4. Very Sporty 5. Drives So smooth 6.Very Reliable

Suggested Improvements

None

Performance+Utility=Sick
By harjohn4

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with right around 30k. It was a lease turn in so i know it was treated well by the previous owner. Being an American car guy chevy has been all I have ever owned. I was tossing this car up with a mazda 3 hatch. This car had a much smoother ride and a ton more power, SS package sold. Ohh yeah and it had plenty of space for my bicycles to fit without needing a rack.

Favorite Features

Factory remote start, power, wheels and spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy even though it's to be expected from such a powerful car of its size. Interior light fuses blow often. Replacing with aftermarket led's to help the issue.

my first maxx
By blueoleander

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 maxx ss model BRAND NEW in sept. 2009. For all you maxx lovers there is one more left, brand new in silver, ss model with dvd player, onstar and 2 sunroofs. Anyway, smooth quiet ride, lots of power, nice interior, awesome AC, lots of features. I like the adjustable gas/brake pedals, you can move them closer to you with push of button!

Favorite Features

adjustable gas/brake pedals, auto headlights, horsepower, wonderful steering(someone said not so good, I think not!)

Suggested Improvements

Others reported strange rattling noise on dashboard, I too experience this periodically, will have it checked. Gas mileage 16-17 city, 17-18 hwy, bummer, I don't speed much either. Needs protective cover for hatchback bumper near door, paint may get scratched when loading/unloading.

STS twin turbo 3.9l ss maxx
By wowza

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the SS Maxx from the first time I saw it. It is naturally fast. Very comfortable, and quiet (for those who like quiet, I prefer a throaty exhaust). I would totally recommend this car to anyone (modded or not)

Suggested Improvements

STS Twin turbo bolt on kit add 200 hp with minimal tuning (Bolted under the chassis not under the hood)