2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Review: Aging well

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Review

LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Aging well
By cs on

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Update as I approach 90,000 miles-- probably the best car I've owned (out of 30+). Had the infamous steering shaft replaced shortly after warranty expiration, and it looked like it might fail again last year, but it must have healed itself. Other than that, it's been reliable and an extremely comfortable, flexible car. Took me several months to get used to electric steering, but once you get used to it, it's fine.

The hatch (Chevy steered away from calling it that, but I like the idea of a midsized car with a hatch), I certainly hope they bring the Cruze hatch to America. Ancient OHV engine delivers good mileage for six, and was quieter than some would think given its design.

Obviously the next car I buy will have some way to input through jacks and USB ports-- but that's why 2005 isn't 2011. The interior was not up to modern standards but pleasant to use. Seats are durable but with ugly fabric. The front clip for this gen. Malibu was ungainly.