Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Another Good Car That GM Never Marketed
By Paul

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We needed to replace a 1993 VW Passat wagon. I found an off-lease 2005 Malibu Maxx V6 with only 20,000 miles, and was able to get it for only $12,000. We have had it for 1,000 miles, and so far, very impressive. Huge cargo capacity with seats down. 33-34 mpg on highway with AC on; 30 mpg in mixed driving, with odometer validated on a measured mile! Easy to drive, very spacious, great stereo, easy to use controls. For the price, it is quite a package. It's a real shame that GM never marketed the car, and now is changing it to another overpriced sedan with complex OHC engine and worse mpg's, and also forcing you to buy an SUV even if you only occasionally need a hatchback.

Gas mileage. Strong engine. Seat and pedal adjustments. A wagon when you need it, economy like a compact the rest of the time.

Typical GM steering with no feedback. Don't know what the new model will be like. Better cloth seat material, as others have stated.

Hurray for Domestic!
By Red

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first domestic car I've purchased. Before this, I was in Honda Civics and VW Jettas. My wife was interested in this car for the increased room for our family. At first I was turned off. I'm so very pleasantly surprised. Bought it with 30k, now has 62k. Interior styling is very functional and surprisingly stylish. Exterior is about as sporty as you can get for a four door hatch outside the Audi. Rides like a very substantial car. There is a crazy amount of space inside, so much more than you'd think from the outside. My friends are also surprised and we enjoy tooling around in it. I'm excited that Chevrolet made this car, it's a boon for domestic automobiles.

The moonroofs over the back seat are a pretty trick. I love how amazed people are at the space inside once they get in. Huge legroom in the back even when stretched out up front. Cavernous trunk space. This car feels bigger than it looks. Gas mileage is very impressive for a v6 (28-36mpg).

Make the AC blow as hard/cold as a Jetta. The primary cupholder next to shifter needs to get rid of that cheesy rubber insert. Back seats should fold down flatter than they do. No big deals though, great car.

I love the Maxx
By Floyd

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I looked for a truly new and clean look and found it in the Malibu Maxx. Coupled with good mileage, comfort, and features makes this American car a great value. The V6 power plant is very spicey and makes the Malibu Maxx fun to drive. It is right up there with the Imports in all areas.

Lots of room, very comfortable and the quality is good in all catagories. Design of this auto does turn heads and I love this cars features...loaded

Best and Most Versatile Vehicle Ever
By JON

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Chevrolet have got it bang on. The vehicle has power with great fuel economy, wagon cargo space with nice styled lines. Perfect family vehicle, DVD player in the back keeps the little ones happy and quiet. Great versatility with being able to fold all seats flat to increase storage, as well as the back seats being able to slide forward and back and tilt for great back seat comfort. Loads of leg room front and back. Power foot pedals, seat, roof, windows and locks make things very comfortable. The oil life monitor meant that my first oil change was not until 12,000km so very economical for service and also environmentally. Has been very reliable with a bulb being the only thing to replace.

Love My 'Bu!
By Kelli Rosey

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

One of the most surprising things to me after having several 4-cylinder cars is the amazing gas mileage I get with my 'Bu (I just had to give it a name!). The first major trip we took was a 2,000 mile round-trip excursion to Florida two weeks after buying the car. Wwe got over 31 MPG for that trip! Later, it made the same trip and got 33.6 MPG for the round-trip! This is better even than the VW Beetle we traded in. I love the way my 'Bu handles and her stunning good-looks. Classy, but still sexy in an understated way, without screaming "write me a ticket, please!." The remote starter is the most awesome feature I've ever had on a car, can't live without it! I love my 'Bu!

Remote starter. Wireless headphones in back, XM radio, V6 power, fuel economy, hatchback utility, and rear-seat legroom - even my big 'ole husband can fit back there comfortably!

A bit more V6 power, 5-speed or better automatic, automatic up and down on both front windows, better sunscreens on moonroof in back, fix rear shelf rattle, improve sun visors.