Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Great Car
By Steve

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best value I have ever owned in a car. I purchased for $13,400 2.5 yrs ago and still worth 10- 10.5k, just got 33 mpg on a 200 mile trip going 62mph. Great handling and acceleration. Quiet motor, hasn't seen the dealer since I have owned it. Purchased with 11k, now has 52.5k. Chose over an Impala since designed and handled like a more expensive import.

MPG 30+ in the summer, handling, large interior space, most comfort and leg room in a back seat for any mid size car.

Get rid of the canvas type seat. Many cars seem to be going with this type of cloth. Would rather see a firm yet soft cloth. Rear brakes need pads a rotors at 45k and I am a pokey soft braking driver?

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
By Watson

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought it brand new. We haven't had any problems since our bumper to bumper ran out. Warranty covered the rear defroster poking outside of the exterior glass (replaced rear window), the steering knock (chevy extended a recall on the electric steering up to 70k), the left rear running light (twice) and the front brake rotars warped and had to be turned at 32k (I had to fight the dealer on that one).

For a family sedan built on a Saab platform you couldn't ask for a more versatile and fun car to drive. I can't believe we average 28mpg with a 205 hp V6. It's got the right amount of umph without any torque oversteer and has all the safety features you would expect. Rear seats give plenty of room.

Radio doesn't have an auxilary input for MP3 players. Recommend Monster FM tuner. There's no after market fix unless you replace the radio but then you have to buy a GM message center $250 to go underneath aftermarket radio $200 plus install could run from $500 just to get an auxiliary input.

Great, well-rounded car!
By 2005 Malibu Maxx

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used and have had it for about 3 months now. In this time, I have come to love the style, comfort, and reliability this car offers. I feel safe in it and love to drive it. For the 3.5L engine, it gives off lots of pep and still gets great gas mileage (I consistently get 26-30 MPG mixed driving). It also offers great versatility with the folding down seats and huge rear cargo space. Even with 80k on it, it drives like a new car and is just right for me. The only thing I dislike about the model is that they discontinued making it after '07!

Love the rear skylights and removable cargo shelf.

I have no complaints thus far!

Drives like a dream
By medinamalibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After owning the Maxx for 2 days, I concluded that its driving manners were perfect. Three years later, the perfection has been restored by new tires/brakes/steering column. Love the extended warranty! Had a major water leak due to some missing sealant. Instruments freaked out one day and died for my commute, but came back perfect (with updated mileage, even!) the same night. Sunshades, ugh. Nice idea, but not durable enough for any use. A few design miscues haven't spoiled how wonderful the car is. It's never left me stranded. Wish I could see 30+ MPG more often. Love the power, though. Rear visibility suffers -- should have been a more square-ish wagon.

Smooth GM transmission, soft ride, low noise, can corner at fairly high speeds. Fuel economy display. Remote start. Way better brakes than first generation Malibu! CD-text and radio data system in stereo system.

Stereo system EQ should be a better match to the car. Reinvent or delete the skylight/shades. Improve rear visibility. Move dimmer knob up higher so my left knee doesn't bash it (I learned!). Larger glove compartment. Oh, and bring the Maxx back!

Who Needs an SUV?
By derberg

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Maxx because it's light enough (3,600 lbs.) to tow behind our motorhome. It's also quick, versatile, roomy and economical (23 to 36 mpg, according to the optimistic readout). At 26K miles it had brake rotors turned and the steering rack replaced under warranty. Those are the only problems so far. The Maxx is an excellent alternative to heavy, thirsty SUVs, but Chevy hardly advertised it at all. The new Malibu should have a hatchback version but doesn't because GM spent $billions on crossover SUVs and now must sell them. It'll take Toyota with its Camry-based (I think) Venza hatchback, coming late this year, to sell the concept. We Maxx folks will then look pretty smart.

Hatchback rear and folding/sliding rear seats work like a wagon, and there's limo-like leg room back there. Maxx is rare, so is distinctive, and I like its chunky styling. Car is quiet and fairly comfortable; it's nimble in town and stable on the highway. I look at other cars but Maxx is still tops.

Better front seats would help (my wife has a very bad back and would like some Caddy-like "cush"), and passenger's seat should be power- adjustable. Are the LT and SS seats better than the LS's? Rear seats don't fold flat and should so the floor would be flat. (The new Malibu has the same fault).