Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Drives like a dream
By medinamalibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After owning the Maxx for 2 days, I concluded that its driving manners were perfect. Three years later, the perfection has been restored by new tires/brakes/steering column. Love the extended warranty! Had a major water leak due to some missing sealant. Instruments freaked out one day and died for my commute, but came back perfect (with updated mileage, even!) the same night. Sunshades, ugh. Nice idea, but not durable enough for any use. A few design miscues haven't spoiled how wonderful the car is. It's never left me stranded. Wish I could see 30+ MPG more often. Love the power, though. Rear visibility suffers -- should have been a more square-ish wagon.

Favorite Features

Smooth GM transmission, soft ride, low noise, can corner at fairly high speeds. Fuel economy display. Remote start. Way better brakes than first generation Malibu! CD-text and radio data system in stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo system EQ should be a better match to the car. Reinvent or delete the skylight/shades. Improve rear visibility. Move dimmer knob up higher so my left knee doesn't bash it (I learned!). Larger glove compartment. Oh, and bring the Maxx back!

Who Needs an SUV?
By derberg

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Maxx because it's light enough (3,600 lbs.) to tow behind our motorhome. It's also quick, versatile, roomy and economical (23 to 36 mpg, according to the optimistic readout). At 26K miles it had brake rotors turned and the steering rack replaced under warranty. Those are the only problems so far. The Maxx is an excellent alternative to heavy, thirsty SUVs, but Chevy hardly advertised it at all. The new Malibu should have a hatchback version but doesn't because GM spent $billions on crossover SUVs and now must sell them. It'll take Toyota with its Camry-based (I think) Venza hatchback, coming late this year, to sell the concept. We Maxx folks will then look pretty smart.

Favorite Features

Hatchback rear and folding/sliding rear seats work like a wagon, and there's limo-like leg room back there. Maxx is rare, so is distinctive, and I like its chunky styling. Car is quiet and fairly comfortable; it's nimble in town and stable on the highway. I look at other cars but Maxx is still tops.

Suggested Improvements

Better front seats would help (my wife has a very bad back and would like some Caddy-like "cush"), and passenger's seat should be power- adjustable. Are the LT and SS seats better than the LS's? Rear seats don't fold flat and should so the floor would be flat. (The new Malibu has the same fault).

Malibu Maxximum Repairs Required
By thirstyduck

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a fair amount of fun to drive, with plenty of power and good fuel economy. The hatch is convenient, and the backseat is very roomy. To date, we have had our vehicle in for numerous repairs to the front end. Poor quality materials used have resulted in replacing the rotors more than once. The entire steering column had to be replaced a few days after purchase. Last week, a part in the steering column had to be replaced at a whopping $500.00! The control arm on the front end, and the struts also went out, among other repairs!

Favorite Features

Hatch, spacious back seats, power, fuel economy.

Love my MAXX
By Barb

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. Turns heads. People ask me what kind of car it is! I get 32 mpg on the highway, including in that figure is stop and go around Chicago. Car has a ton of room. I would recommend the car to anyone! Great fun!

Favorite Features

Big interior

Suggested Improvements

Nicer cloth on seats, easier to clean

76,000 Miles and Sweet Malibu Maxx
By dbadcraig

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a car I did not care for much at first, but we needed another car and the price was right. Well, the car has really grown on me and I now love it. I am incredulous of the odometer reading, this car drives more like a car with 7,600 miles on it (not 76,000). The engine and transmission are wonderful, delivering a good +33 mpg on the highway. Not a drop of oil used. The ride/handling compromise is perfect for everyday use. The electric steering is different, but easy to get used to. Negatives: 1. noise (a "clunk") in the front end in low speed turns that appears to be a common characteristic of the electric steering, 2. the car's heater is slow to warm up the car on cold days.

Favorite Features

The information center that provides time, temperature, A & B trip, fuel economy, miles to empty, and oil change information. Interior room, cargo flexibility, telescoping steering. Quality of the fit and finish. Overall high level of comfort for long highway trips, quiet and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

GM discontinued the Maxx this year