Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
05 Maxx
By Canuck44

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have 140,000km on mine and have had a few problems, I have done the front brakes twice and they need it again, the rear hatch light went on the fritz and started blowing fuses, the intermediate steering shaft needed to be relubed (clunking in corners), the DVD player doesn't play 1/2 of the DVD's out there, the rear wiper stripped and now the rear seat belts detach when I tension the seat belt when installing child seats. I use the UAS instead and am going to install a new one to see if it is any better. Other than that the car has been pretty good, good combination of power and mileage.

Suggested Improvements

make the rear seat wide enough for three car seats, fix the brakes, give a longer warranty

100K and Beyond
By bobd10

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my "05 Maxx with 52k on the meter. I now have 105k. Got hit twice, both side swipes at the front end (1 on each side). Hasn't given me any major problems. Just chenged the plugs, was easy. Put in irridiums, seems like it has better response at high speed acceleration now. Only 2 gripes...the front turn signals melting and the CD player not accepting discs on the first try. Otherwise, great car.

Favorite Features

Adjustable rear seats, power when you need it, gas mileage, roomy, no major blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the melting turn signal lens, better quality CD stereo system.

maximum contentment
By webber1

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have had many cars and makes over the years. The Malibu Maxx is one of the best I've owned (into my sixth year with 80K). Normal maintenace only, couple of wheel bearings, tie rod, ball joints, new steering rack and tail light assembly. Car is into its ninth year and still drives and looks great. (I have treated it with rust proofing every other year) Would consider moving up except there is nothing out there to replace it, so I keep driving this one of a kind car and loving it still.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, peppy performance, appearance, passenger and cargo space. Love the hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

What' to improve?

Chevy Maxx 2005
By JK

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car and can't believe chevy stopped making them. Can't believe the torque on this car absolutely incredible for its size. Ok, problems, the steering shaft has been fixed once already due to warranty related problems at about 20000 and now is having the same problems again at 79000 (no longer covered). The cloth seat are by far the worst I have ever had in a car, you see every single little stain, water or worse - absolutely horrible, very tough to clean, took to pro and they refused to clean the upholstery. If chevy still made them I would buy a brand new one w leather seats right away. 23 gas/city - 26 highway. CD player broke, love onboard comp and low maintanence.

Favorite Features

Torque - had me at first step on the gas pedal. Low maintenance costs, onboard comp - nice, very roomy - excellent. Good gas mileage -

Suggested Improvements

Something needs to be done with the steering shaft - appears ot be a chevy problem or maybe Malibu problem? Definitely improve the clothes seats - horrible stain collectors - no chance in keeping it even decently clean with kids, water stains x10 not to mention other kids stains.

Buyers Beware
By Jennifer Davis

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a lot of problems with this car over the years. Researching a little I discovered that many people have had the same problems. The latest problem is the engine deciding to shut off while in the middle of driving. There doesn't seem to be any clear direction as to what causes this. Within the first 3 months of purchasing the car I started having brake problems. I had to get the brakes replaced within 6 months. The "DAB" warning shows up periodically (the dealership says it is not anything wrong and they just clear it). My CD player still doesn't work (2 replacements).

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive for a tall person.

Suggested Improvements

This wouldn't fit within 300 characters.