2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Solid Car But Slippery When Wet
By Art on 11/25/06 07:43 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed my Malibu LS for a few reasons, starting with the gas mileage. I usually get around 26 mpg for a 400-mile trip. Acceleration is great. The engine is strong and smooth. Air and heat work well. Steering is great and cargo room is fine. The back seats are incredibly spacious, even though I sit quite a ways back in the driver seat. Rear moonroofs are fun, although the sliding screen easily snaps on people. My biggest complaint, and one that should be noted for anyone switching from SUV to wagon due to gas mileage, is that the Maxx's traction control is worth nothing, literally. My wife's Corolla does better in rain or snow. It was by far the biggest disappointment.

To the MAXX!
By browntravis on 11/19/06 08:55 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I researched this vehicle extremely well. The European body styling really makes this car an eye catcher. People always stop and ask me what it is and compliment on the styling. The 3.5L V-6 engine makes for smooth, powerful ride. This car is very roomy and the back seats slide back, forth, and recline. Very cool! Definitely some great standard features. Great sound system. Standard rear moonroof, traction control, and power driver seat. This car is an all around good choice for persons of any age or family status.

Love It
By curt on 10/17/06 08:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 15,000 miles on it. I like the room in this car both front and back. I like the info center. Oh what the heck, I like everything about this car. Only one thing about this car that I can't find is how to shut the heater A/C off. With all buttons in off, it still has air coming through the vents. In my view this is Chevrolet's best keep secret. I have been averaging 33 mpg and it has plenty of power with the 200 horse V6. Anyone thinking about a new car, if they drove a Maxx I think they would be very pleased. To me, it feels like driving a much bigger car. This car just fits

Now over 30k, starting to have problems
By Gilanna on 09/06/06 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased it new, was excellent first 30k miles. Now, cruise control wont engage at times. Brakes are now pulsating. The dealer says it's normal for 30k miles. Both front directionals stopped working and had to be replaced. At times,the shifter stays locked when you go to shift. By setting the alarm back on then off, I can get it to release. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't figure it out unless it did it while they were working on it, it didn't. I have to wait till it does it more frequently. This car is starting to annoy me. My wife wants her VW Golf back, says she never had any problems until it had 100k miles. I hope these annoyances can be easily fixed cause my warranty expires in 1500 miles.

What a Deal
By d_vicsik.rm on 08/21/06 18:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had to buy a car capable of handling my wife and I, two toddlers, and our three dogs (Great Dane, Boxer, Jack Russell). With the back seat slid forward (but back enough to allow legroom), the dog gate to the rear hatch is large enough to hold the Boxer and Great Dane. On a recent trip to Houston, I averaged 32 MPG on the highway at 70 MPH. Handling is borderline fun though the electric steering seems to sometimes lose the driver's intent and seems to emphasize torque steer at times during hard acceleration. With the dogs out and the back seat slid back, its a limo!

2005 Maxx
By ron on 07/14/06 16:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After months of internet research & weeks of test driving 8 cars., I chose the Malibu Maxx. I love it. What I was looking for in a car was; plenty of leg room, good ride, good fuel economy, nice looks, comfortable interior and most important, price! The Maxx has it all. I was very surprised at its performance! It is very quick! Good mileage too. We just returned from a 800 mile trip and averaged 30.8 mpg. Driving hwy speeds 75-80 mph. Interior space is in a class by itself in the mid size segment. I'm 6'4" and can set with my legs crossed in the rear seats with the front seat set to fit me. I think it has a good looking exterior, kind of euro looking. I'm very pleased with my Malibu Maxx!

Love My M&Ms BLU
By M&MsBLULoveIt on 07/14/06 13:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The car is fun to the max and is a great value. It is like blue M&Ms. Very unexpected and heavenly to the senses! I got mine loaded, and one of the few Laser Blue 2005's in my area, anyway. The other colors were kind of dull but I would have bought one anyway for the features I got for the money. I had a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix I traded for it. I was longing for the pep of my V6 1999 Grand AM. The Max LT more than fills the bill.

Menace Maxx
By Eclipse on 07/10/06 16:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We find the car very versatile and usefull for hauling a 150lb Rotty. We have a 8 year old Blazer which we love but enjoy having a smaller car. I am disabled and find most cars uncomfortable to sit in for any extended amount of time, but I can sit and drive the Maxx very comfortably due to the leg room and adjustable pedals.

As good as any Japanese car
By gilanna on 05/18/06 14:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great handling, excellent acceleration,decent gas mileage averaging 25 combine city/hwy. Purchased new, now has 32k of maintenance free miles. Reliable, just a great car for the money.

Yes, Buy American
By Ben on 04/21/06 14:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Love the rear seat leg room and the adjustable/reclining seats. I drive 39 miles one way to work and average 30.9 mpg. The car has alot of top end power. The manual shift option on the trans is great for those steep downhill drives you don't need to ride your brakes. The best feature is the remote starter, nice for those cold mornings.