Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

We got a lemon
By GLen

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Right up front, the stock tires are crap in deep snow. The car does fine with replacement tires from Firestone, but you should add the cost of new tires if you get severe winters where you live. At 17,000 miles the timing chain snapped and destroyed the engine. At 34,000 miles the steering column and other parts of the power steering had to be replaced defective. Since the 36,000 mile warranty ended both ball joints and control arms have been replaced as well as the right CV. And from about 40,000 miles on it's idle and general feel have been getting generally bad in feel, like something else is about to go. Worse than the 175,000 mile Ford Taurus we traded in for it.

Roomy inside, though plastic molding in hatch area wastes space. Seats are reasonably comfortable.

Quality of construction and extended warranty to at least 50,000 miles! The stock tires are terrible in snow, and the wheel wells accumulate snow and ice like no other car I've owned. Better quality material and finish on the interior.

Neat Car!
By derberg

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Maxx is probably the neatest car we've ever owned -- quick, very roomy, fairly comfortable, very good on gas, and distinctive in styling. Hatchback sedans are a great idea: Recently we hauled home a 42" big-screen TV, still in the box, which fit right thru the hatch opening. After helping to load 70 parcels into it, a guy at my American Legion post asked, "What kind of car is this?" GM didn't know how to market the Maxx, so didn't sell many (but watch how well the new Toyota Venza sells). However, a common problem is weak steering gear; the rack was replaced under basic warranty, and the intermediate column for $100 (there must be a service bulletin on this)

Hatchback design, fold-down rear seats (wish they folded flat!), very roomy rear seat area, excellent fuel economy 21 to 35 mpg), good power and handling, quietness at all speeds, and distinctive styling.

Wish the seats were more cushy (maybe the Maxx LTZ's seats are better), and that the steering gear had been adequately designed. Chevy does warranty the electric-steering part of the column (which hasn't yet failed on our car) for 7 years/70K miles, though.

Great Car
By Steve

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best value I have ever owned in a car. I purchased for $13,400 2.5 yrs ago and still worth 10- 10.5k, just got 33 mpg on a 200 mile trip going 62mph. Great handling and acceleration. Quiet motor, hasn't seen the dealer since I have owned it. Purchased with 11k, now has 52.5k. Chose over an Impala since designed and handled like a more expensive import.

MPG 30+ in the summer, handling, large interior space, most comfort and leg room in a back seat for any mid size car.

Get rid of the canvas type seat. Many cars seem to be going with this type of cloth. Would rather see a firm yet soft cloth. Rear brakes need pads a rotors at 45k and I am a pokey soft braking driver?

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
By Watson

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought it brand new. We haven't had any problems since our bumper to bumper ran out. Warranty covered the rear defroster poking outside of the exterior glass (replaced rear window), the steering knock (chevy extended a recall on the electric steering up to 70k), the left rear running light (twice) and the front brake rotars warped and had to be turned at 32k (I had to fight the dealer on that one).

For a family sedan built on a Saab platform you couldn't ask for a more versatile and fun car to drive. I can't believe we average 28mpg with a 205 hp V6. It's got the right amount of umph without any torque oversteer and has all the safety features you would expect. Rear seats give plenty of room.

Radio doesn't have an auxilary input for MP3 players. Recommend Monster FM tuner. There's no after market fix unless you replace the radio but then you have to buy a GM message center $250 to go underneath aftermarket radio $200 plus install could run from $500 just to get an auxiliary input.

Great, well-rounded car!
By 2005 Malibu Maxx

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used and have had it for about 3 months now. In this time, I have come to love the style, comfort, and reliability this car offers. I feel safe in it and love to drive it. For the 3.5L engine, it gives off lots of pep and still gets great gas mileage (I consistently get 26-30 MPG mixed driving). It also offers great versatility with the folding down seats and huge rear cargo space. Even with 80k on it, it drives like a new car and is just right for me. The only thing I dislike about the model is that they discontinued making it after '07!

Love the rear skylights and removable cargo shelf.

I have no complaints thus far!