2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Malibu Maxx 2005 wow
By Malibu Maxx 2005 on 10/17/07 19:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was reluctant to purchase this vehicle due to several reasons. However once sitting behind the wheel and driving it, I was immediately sold. This is by far the best car I have ever purchased, in the meantime I have test driven many different make and models for comparison. None can reach the Maxx with its performance level and comfortability. It handles very well even with high speed, acceleration rate is excellent. One of those secret jewels, once you drive it you'll love it. In 2.5 years twice in garage for warranty covered issue. Suggestion: purchase leather only if you have children or buy waterproof seat covers. The light beige cloth material stains very easily. Stains won`t come off.

Yikes! 3 Steering Racks in 3 Years
By Call me disappointed on 08/26/07 12:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

No question, the Maxx gets great mileage (I average 29 mpg). And I love that the back and front passenger seats fold down to give lots of cargo room. And it's fun to drive -- when it's not in the shop for repairs. There have been several electrical problems while still under warranty, all easily resolved. The real problem is the steering rack. It's been replaced 3 times. My Chevy dealer says it's a design flaw and many cars come in with this problem. If you want a trouble-free car, I'd stay away from the Maxx.

Great Family Vehicle With Good Looks.
By jenandjonm on 07/11/07 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car for more room while I was pregnant with my second child. We originally wanted a SUV, but not the gas milage. Hubby sugested a Suburu wagon, but I think wagons are ugly, ditto for mini vans. Husband and I are both tall and needed leg room, plus rear leg room for occasional adult passengers and those huge child car seats. The Maxx was a great find. I'm always getting compliments on the styling and people are curious what it is. The handling is great, especially at slow speeds in the parking lot. Plenty of power for those curvey hilly roads and freeway passing. All with great gas milage. It gets about 30-35 mpg on long trips, and 25 in town.

Great Car
By 1tenor on 06/25/07 14:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the best cars I've ever owned. I get excellent fuel economy, and the flexibility of the folding seats is extremely convenient. I had one problem with the trim on one of the seats which the dealership promptly fixed and that's it. Other than regular oil and filter changes, it's been virtually maintenance free. It rides comfortably both scooting around town or on the highway.

What a steal!
By Pat on 06/15/07 13:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Looked for car to replace 2002 Tracker. Looked for SUV room without the price and found this. Eureka! Loved the hatchback design and room. Bought car with 15,000 miles for $13,000.00. Just returned from 3,500 mile trip to Gulf Coast. This car is awesome. 30 MPG (with a/c on most of the time), solid, quiet, roomy, comfortable, power when you need it. I could go on and on. Local Chevy dealer sent a letter saying they're interested in buying the car. Good luck, this one stays in my garage. As other people have said, why didn't Chevy promote this car. In my opinion, no home should be without one.

Another Good Car That GM Never Marketed
By Paul on 06/04/07 11:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We needed to replace a 1993 VW Passat wagon. I found an off-lease 2005 Malibu Maxx V6 with only 20,000 miles, and was able to get it for only $12,000. We have had it for 1,000 miles, and so far, very impressive. Huge cargo capacity with seats down. 33-34 mpg on highway with AC on; 30 mpg in mixed driving, with odometer validated on a measured mile! Easy to drive, very spacious, great stereo, easy to use controls. For the price, it is quite a package. It's a real shame that GM never marketed the car, and now is changing it to another overpriced sedan with complex OHC engine and worse mpg's, and also forcing you to buy an SUV even if you only occasionally need a hatchback.

Hurray for Domestic!
By Red on 05/20/07 23:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first domestic car I've purchased. Before this, I was in Honda Civics and VW Jettas. My wife was interested in this car for the increased room for our family. At first I was turned off. I'm so very pleasantly surprised. Bought it with 30k, now has 62k. Interior styling is very functional and surprisingly stylish. Exterior is about as sporty as you can get for a four door hatch outside the Audi. Rides like a very substantial car. There is a crazy amount of space inside, so much more than you'd think from the outside. My friends are also surprised and we enjoy tooling around in it. I'm excited that Chevrolet made this car, it's a boon for domestic automobiles.

I love the Maxx
By Floyd on 05/18/07 06:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I looked for a truly new and clean look and found it in the Malibu Maxx. Coupled with good mileage, comfort, and features makes this American car a great value. The V6 power plant is very spicey and makes the Malibu Maxx fun to drive. It is right up there with the Imports in all areas.

Best and Most Versatile Vehicle Ever
By JON on 04/12/07 13:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Chevrolet have got it bang on. The vehicle has power with great fuel economy, wagon cargo space with nice styled lines. Perfect family vehicle, DVD player in the back keeps the little ones happy and quiet. Great versatility with being able to fold all seats flat to increase storage, as well as the back seats being able to slide forward and back and tilt for great back seat comfort. Loads of leg room front and back. Power foot pedals, seat, roof, windows and locks make things very comfortable. The oil life monitor meant that my first oil change was not until 12,000km so very economical for service and also environmentally. Has been very reliable with a bulb being the only thing to replace.

Love My 'Bu!
By Kelli Rosey on 12/23/06 10:47 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

One of the most surprising things to me after having several 4-cylinder cars is the amazing gas mileage I get with my 'Bu (I just had to give it a name!). The first major trip we took was a 2,000 mile round-trip excursion to Florida two weeks after buying the car. Wwe got over 31 MPG for that trip! Later, it made the same trip and got 33.6 MPG for the round-trip! This is better even than the VW Beetle we traded in. I love the way my 'Bu handles and her stunning good-looks. Classy, but still sexy in an understated way, without screaming "write me a ticket, please!." The remote starter is the most awesome feature I've ever had on a car, can't live without it! I love my 'Bu!