2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Neat Car!
By derberg on 12/09/08 13:05 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Maxx is probably the neatest car we've ever owned -- quick, very roomy, fairly comfortable, very good on gas, and distinctive in styling. Hatchback sedans are a great idea: Recently we hauled home a 42" big-screen TV, still in the box, which fit right thru the hatch opening. After helping to load 70 parcels into it, a guy at my American Legion post asked, "What kind of car is this?" GM didn't know how to market the Maxx, so didn't sell many (but watch how well the new Toyota Venza sells). However, a common problem is weak steering gear; the rack was replaced under basic warranty, and the intermediate column for $100 (there must be a service bulletin on this)

Great Car
By Steve on 09/08/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best value I have ever owned in a car. I purchased for $13,400 2.5 yrs ago and still worth 10- 10.5k, just got 33 mpg on a 200 mile trip going 62mph. Great handling and acceleration. Quiet motor, hasn't seen the dealer since I have owned it. Purchased with 11k, now has 52.5k. Chose over an Impala since designed and handled like a more expensive import.

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
By Watson on 09/06/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought it brand new. We haven't had any problems since our bumper to bumper ran out. Warranty covered the rear defroster poking outside of the exterior glass (replaced rear window), the steering knock (chevy extended a recall on the electric steering up to 70k), the left rear running light (twice) and the front brake rotars warped and had to be turned at 32k (I had to fight the dealer on that one).

Great, well-rounded car!
By 2005 Malibu Maxx on 07/15/08 17:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used and have had it for about 3 months now. In this time, I have come to love the style, comfort, and reliability this car offers. I feel safe in it and love to drive it. For the 3.5L engine, it gives off lots of pep and still gets great gas mileage (I consistently get 26-30 MPG mixed driving). It also offers great versatility with the folding down seats and huge rear cargo space. Even with 80k on it, it drives like a new car and is just right for me. The only thing I dislike about the model is that they discontinued making it after '07!

Drives like a dream
By medinamalibu on 06/06/08 22:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After owning the Maxx for 2 days, I concluded that its driving manners were perfect. Three years later, the perfection has been restored by new tires/brakes/steering column. Love the extended warranty! Had a major water leak due to some missing sealant. Instruments freaked out one day and died for my commute, but came back perfect (with updated mileage, even!) the same night. Sunshades, ugh. Nice idea, but not durable enough for any use. A few design miscues haven't spoiled how wonderful the car is. It's never left me stranded. Wish I could see 30+ MPG more often. Love the power, though. Rear visibility suffers -- should have been a more square-ish wagon.

Who Needs an SUV?
By derberg on 04/24/08 16:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Maxx because it's light enough (3,600 lbs.) to tow behind our motorhome. It's also quick, versatile, roomy and economical (23 to 36 mpg, according to the optimistic readout). At 26K miles it had brake rotors turned and the steering rack replaced under warranty. Those are the only problems so far. The Maxx is an excellent alternative to heavy, thirsty SUVs, but Chevy hardly advertised it at all. The new Malibu should have a hatchback version but doesn't because GM spent $billions on crossover SUVs and now must sell them. It'll take Toyota with its Camry-based (I think) Venza hatchback, coming late this year, to sell the concept. We Maxx folks will then look pretty smart.

Malibu Maxximum Repairs Required
By thirstyduck on 01/21/08 12:52 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a fair amount of fun to drive, with plenty of power and good fuel economy. The hatch is convenient, and the backseat is very roomy. To date, we have had our vehicle in for numerous repairs to the front end. Poor quality materials used have resulted in replacing the rotors more than once. The entire steering column had to be replaced a few days after purchase. Last week, a part in the steering column had to be replaced at a whopping $500.00! The control arm on the front end, and the struts also went out, among other repairs!

Love my MAXX
By Barb on 12/17/07 17:23 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. Turns heads. People ask me what kind of car it is! I get 32 mpg on the highway, including in that figure is stop and go around Chicago. Car has a ton of room. I would recommend the car to anyone! Great fun!

76,000 Miles and Sweet Malibu Maxx
By dbadcraig on 11/24/07 10:05 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a car I did not care for much at first, but we needed another car and the price was right. Well, the car has really grown on me and I now love it. I am incredulous of the odometer reading, this car drives more like a car with 7,600 miles on it (not 76,000). The engine and transmission are wonderful, delivering a good +33 mpg on the highway. Not a drop of oil used. The ride/handling compromise is perfect for everyday use. The electric steering is different, but easy to get used to. Negatives: 1. noise (a "clunk") in the front end in low speed turns that appears to be a common characteristic of the electric steering, 2. the car's heater is slow to warm up the car on cold days.

Malibu Maxx 2005 wow
By Malibu Maxx 2005 on 10/17/07 19:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was reluctant to purchase this vehicle due to several reasons. However once sitting behind the wheel and driving it, I was immediately sold. This is by far the best car I have ever purchased, in the meantime I have test driven many different make and models for comparison. None can reach the Maxx with its performance level and comfortability. It handles very well even with high speed, acceleration rate is excellent. One of those secret jewels, once you drive it you'll love it. In 2.5 years twice in garage for warranty covered issue. Suggestion: purchase leather only if you have children or buy waterproof seat covers. The light beige cloth material stains very easily. Stains won`t come off.