2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Fleet Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu-maxx - Consumer Reviews

2005 Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Sort Reviews by

just thought the Maxx would be more...
By oct 2005

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great acceleration w/the v-6 engine. Left with doubts about brakes and steering and the sub-standard braking. Had to replace rear brake pads @ 58000 miles. What A Pity!!! Then you have the interest with the intermediate steering arm assemblies that have given so much crap to those who have purchased the electric power steering groups.

Buyers Beware
By Jennifer Davis

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a lot of problems with this car over the years. Researching a little I discovered that many people have had the same problems. The latest problem is the engine deciding to shut off while in the middle of driving. There doesn't seem to be any clear direction as to what causes this. Within the first 3 months of purchasing the car I started having brake problems. I had to get the brakes replaced within 6 months. The "DAB" warning shows up periodically (the dealership says it is not anything wrong and they just clear it). My CD player still doesn't work (2 replacements).

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive for a tall person.

Suggested Improvements

This wouldn't fit within 300 characters.

Mad Maxx
By kim

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Maxx when gas prices were near 5 dollars a gallon. Downsized from a minivan. While we miss the room of the minivan we loved this vehicle. Great gas mileage! With the hatchback we could still fit a great amount of equipment and home repair supplies in the back. Both rear seats fold down. Great car for the kids to learn to drive in. Great handling, fun to drive, good quality and reliability. Safety features are fantastic....totaled it with bilateral front airbag deployment. Walked away with just a bruise and sore muscles. No contact with the airbag due to the adjustable gas and break pedals. Too bad they aren't making this model anymore. Looking for another used one to buy.

Favorite Features

Adjustable break and gas pedals, vista roof is so cool. Gas mileage and pick up are great. Rear seats recline. Also fold flat for more hauling options.

Suggested Improvements

Seats not that comfortable for long trips. Cloth stains easily.

Chevy Maxx 2005
By JK

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car and can't believe chevy stopped making them. Can't believe the torque on this car absolutely incredible for its size. Ok, problems, the steering shaft has been fixed once already due to warranty related problems at about 20000 and now is having the same problems again at 79000 (no longer covered). The cloth seat are by far the worst I have ever had in a car, you see every single little stain, water or worse - absolutely horrible, very tough to clean, took to pro and they refused to clean the upholstery. If chevy still made them I would buy a brand new one w leather seats right away. 23 gas/city - 26 highway. CD player broke, love onboard comp and low maintanence.

Favorite Features

Torque - had me at first step on the gas pedal. Low maintenance costs, onboard comp - nice, very roomy - excellent. Good gas mileage -

Suggested Improvements

Something needs to be done with the steering shaft - appears ot be a chevy problem or maybe Malibu problem? Definitely improve the clothes seats - horrible stain collectors - no chance in keeping it even decently clean with kids, water stains x10 not to mention other kids stains.

05 Maxx
By Canuck44

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have 140,000km on mine and have had a few problems, I have done the front brakes twice and they need it again, the rear hatch light went on the fritz and started blowing fuses, the intermediate steering shaft needed to be relubed (clunking in corners), the DVD player doesn't play 1/2 of the DVD's out there, the rear wiper stripped and now the rear seat belts detach when I tension the seat belt when installing child seats. I use the UAS instead and am going to install a new one to see if it is any better. Other than that the car has been pretty good, good combination of power and mileage.

Suggested Improvements

make the rear seat wide enough for three car seats, fix the brakes, give a longer warranty

love the maxx
By VICKY HICKS

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Malibu maxx, I have one problem, cloth seats are dirty just from rain drops in car. Don't know how to clean this-help, rear windsheild wiper just started flippin out. Going to have fixed this weekend.

Favorite Features

brakes that adjust. smooth ride. car starts from my front door-love it.

Suggested Improvements

if anymore are made, please use cloth that is easy to clean. i haven't found anyone to clean my upholstery yet

Great Car
By uscfan05

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought used almost 4 years ago and still love my car. It has lots of room and space, even passengers in the back seat have plenty of leg room. I love how the rear seats lay all the way front ward like a SUV to give you more space. I've even put a live Christmas tree in there with no problem. Love how the car tells you when to change your oil and when certain fluid levels are low! This car is great for every age group. I'm in my 20's and love this car but it also has plenty of room for a family. Rides smoothly and turns just as smooth. Back seat riders also love the moonroof. Traction control is great as well.

Favorite Features

I love how it tells you when to change the oil, fluids are low and beeps before it tells you so you know to look at your screen for the message. It tells you the fuel per tank and everything, this is great, me being a girl that knows nothing about the engine of a car.

Suggested Improvements

I wish you could play MP3 CD's. The shade over the moonroof gets messed up and stretched out easily.

Updated Review 2 Years Later
By Dbadcraig

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

See my original review below dated 11/24/07. I now have 92,500 miles on this well equiped but basic Fleet car. The front end thump remains but is no worse after 20,000 more miles. The engine and transmission are as good as new- no oil use and I have obtained has high as 41 miles per gallon on the highway @ 60mph. I've had to replace warped front rotors, fix a short in side view mirror, new indicator bulb and thanks to a nail in a sidewall, buy two new Bridgestone tires (with the mpg my care gets with them, why change?) I did find the tan interior stained easily--but it also cleaned easily, try "Tuff Stuff" from Pep Boys. Paint, trim and interior is holding up very well.

Favorite Features

It is hard to beat the utility of this hatch back sedan! I really like this 3.5 V-6 and the transmission. Very good highway economy and ample power. The car is very comfortable on extended highway trips. The glass top adds a touch of class for rear seat passengers and everyone notices.

Suggested Improvements

My peeve list is short. The LED read out of the information center is too easily washed out by sunlight. The doors do not stay open (very irratating). The rear deck cargo cover squeaks at times with body flex. Plastic headlight are clouding. Steel wheels prone to rust (from salt).

Great Ride
By Susan in Alabama

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have been very pleased with this car and would highly recommend it to anyone. Oh yes and the get-up-and-go it has is very unexpected. Try one today and help keep Chevrolet going.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can think of changing would be the front seats they are not the most comfortable for a long trip.

steering, ball joint,
By Gil

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new and the first year was great. Power, handling, comfort, no repair. Then it started. I now have 90k miles, I replaced the rack and pinion steering column at 70k, the struts at 78k, the ball joints at 90k. The cruise control started giving me problems at 50k miles, goes off by itself. The shifter automatic stopped working right about the 50k miles range. I drive like a little old man, careful and slow and I maintain this vehicle at every squeak. I wouldn't buy another one.

Favorite Features

Interior space is excellent, very roomy,

Suggested Improvements

Should have been better made or give a better warranty.