2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Chevy Maxx 2005
By JK on 12/21/09 19:10 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car and can't believe chevy stopped making them. Can't believe the torque on this car absolutely incredible for its size. Ok, problems, the steering shaft has been fixed once already due to warranty related problems at about 20000 and now is having the same problems again at 79000 (no longer covered). The cloth seat are by far the worst I have ever had in a car, you see every single little stain, water or worse - absolutely horrible, very tough to clean, took to pro and they refused to clean the upholstery. If chevy still made them I would buy a brand new one w leather seats right away. 23 gas/city - 26 highway. CD player broke, love onboard comp and low maintanence.

05 Maxx
By Canuck44 on 09/27/09 21:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have 140,000km on mine and have had a few problems, I have done the front brakes twice and they need it again, the rear hatch light went on the fritz and started blowing fuses, the intermediate steering shaft needed to be relubed (clunking in corners), the DVD player doesn't play 1/2 of the DVD's out there, the rear wiper stripped and now the rear seat belts detach when I tension the seat belt when installing child seats. I use the UAS instead and am going to install a new one to see if it is any better. Other than that the car has been pretty good, good combination of power and mileage.

love the maxx
By VICKY HICKS on 08/11/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Malibu maxx, I have one problem, cloth seats are dirty just from rain drops in car. Don't know how to clean this-help, rear windsheild wiper just started flippin out. Going to have fixed this weekend.

Great Car
By uscfan05 on 07/14/09 08:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought used almost 4 years ago and still love my car. It has lots of room and space, even passengers in the back seat have plenty of leg room. I love how the rear seats lay all the way front ward like a SUV to give you more space. I've even put a live Christmas tree in there with no problem. Love how the car tells you when to change your oil and when certain fluid levels are low! This car is great for every age group. I'm in my 20's and love this car but it also has plenty of room for a family. Rides smoothly and turns just as smooth. Back seat riders also love the moonroof. Traction control is great as well.

Updated Review 2 Years Later
By Dbadcraig on 07/04/09 06:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

See my original review below dated 11/24/07. I now have 92,500 miles on this well equiped but basic Fleet car. The front end thump remains but is no worse after 20,000 more miles. The engine and transmission are as good as new- no oil use and I have obtained has high as 41 miles per gallon on the highway @ 60mph. I've had to replace warped front rotors, fix a short in side view mirror, new indicator bulb and thanks to a nail in a sidewall, buy two new Bridgestone tires (with the mpg my care gets with them, why change?) I did find the tan interior stained easily--but it also cleaned easily, try "Tuff Stuff" from Pep Boys. Paint, trim and interior is holding up very well.

Great Ride
By Susan in Alabama on 04/22/09 18:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have been very pleased with this car and would highly recommend it to anyone. Oh yes and the get-up-and-go it has is very unexpected. Try one today and help keep Chevrolet going.

steering, ball joint,
By Gil on 04/20/09 08:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new and the first year was great. Power, handling, comfort, no repair. Then it started. I now have 90k miles, I replaced the rack and pinion steering column at 70k, the struts at 78k, the ball joints at 90k. The cruise control started giving me problems at 50k miles, goes off by itself. The shifter automatic stopped working right about the 50k miles range. I drive like a little old man, careful and slow and I maintain this vehicle at every squeak. I wouldn't buy another one.

We got a lemon
By GLen on 12/13/08 13:19 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Right up front, the stock tires are crap in deep snow. The car does fine with replacement tires from Firestone, but you should add the cost of new tires if you get severe winters where you live. At 17,000 miles the timing chain snapped and destroyed the engine. At 34,000 miles the steering column and other parts of the power steering had to be replaced defective. Since the 36,000 mile warranty ended both ball joints and control arms have been replaced as well as the right CV. And from about 40,000 miles on it's idle and general feel have been getting generally bad in feel, like something else is about to go. Worse than the 175,000 mile Ford Taurus we traded in for it.

Neat Car!
By derberg on 12/09/08 13:05 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Maxx is probably the neatest car we've ever owned -- quick, very roomy, fairly comfortable, very good on gas, and distinctive in styling. Hatchback sedans are a great idea: Recently we hauled home a 42" big-screen TV, still in the box, which fit right thru the hatch opening. After helping to load 70 parcels into it, a guy at my American Legion post asked, "What kind of car is this?" GM didn't know how to market the Maxx, so didn't sell many (but watch how well the new Toyota Venza sells). However, a common problem is weak steering gear; the rack was replaced under basic warranty, and the intermediate column for $100 (there must be a service bulletin on this)

Great Car
By Steve on 09/08/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best value I have ever owned in a car. I purchased for $13,400 2.5 yrs ago and still worth 10- 10.5k, just got 33 mpg on a 200 mile trip going 62mph. Great handling and acceleration. Quiet motor, hasn't seen the dealer since I have owned it. Purchased with 11k, now has 52.5k. Chose over an Impala since designed and handled like a more expensive import.