Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Not total happy with my Maxx
By laurie28

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Maxx in late 2004. Steering issues every year. GM kept replacing steering. Finally used a "redesigned" component that solved the problems. Tire rods replaced. Recently had loss of power steering. started working after I stopped the car. Chevy will not check it out at no charge. New brakes after 1200 miles. Back seat lever broke off. Driver seat power adjustments broke. Remote start quit working. Key fobs with new batteries still won't open or lock doors. Hatch back won't open and when to Chevy 3 times to get it fixed. One thing. Great handling and acceleration!! I won't buy another GM vehicle. Ever.

maximum contentment
By webber1

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have had many cars and makes over the years. The Malibu Maxx is one of the best I've owned (into my sixth year with 80K). Normal maintenace only, couple of wheel bearings, tie rod, ball joints, new steering rack and tail light assembly. Car is into its ninth year and still drives and looks great. (I have treated it with rust proofing every other year) Would consider moving up except there is nothing out there to replace it, so I keep driving this one of a kind car and loving it still.

gas mileage, peppy performance, appearance, passenger and cargo space. Love the hatchback.

What' to improve?

WHO KNEW?
By rogerw5

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving a Nissan for a while; went to a dealer to check out used Nissans.
Walking through the used lot I spotted a 2005 Malibu Maxx; another customer behind me told me "best damn car GM ever produced".
Took a test drive and bought it without hesitation...that was 7 years ago.
Had the tranny rebuilt...only major fix in 7 years!!
Getting ready to buy one for my granddaughter (college student)...she wanted mine...I gave her driving lessons and she also took her driving test in my Maxx.
I just went over 133,000 miles! I want to be buried in it!
UPDATE (03/14/16): Just went over 197,000 miles...the "Maxx" is still in great shape...have had several "do you want to sell" to which I answered with an emphatic "NO"!! Purchased a 2007 CTS a couple of years ago but spends most of my driving time in the Maxx...a great, great purchase!!

I Want to Keep This Car Forever!
By maxx_girl

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had many cars, new and used, from MBZ's to several other GM cars, and although my MBZ 300 was a work horse, I have never had a car I love more than this. Reliable, attractive, lots of leg and head room, can fit tons of stuff into it, great mileage on the open road particularly, just a great car.

Leg room (I'm tall); capacity (I can fit 4 mos worth of stuff into it for a drive to my summer location); smooth ride; good gas mileage- esp. on the highway (32 with A/C running and car loaded).

The door strap on the driver's door will NOT keep the door open. Hate that. I would like if the rear seats could fold flat. My left rear blinker goes out more often than any other. Rear hatchback came down on my forehead a year ago when I thought it was up all the way. Had a black eye and bruised face for over a month!

Good Value Car
By aramf

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this one used at 60K miles.
I currently have 120K on it.
Chevrolet replaced the steering wheel on it.
The left blinker burned out too often, untill I replaced the whole light from partstrain.com.
Over the last 3 years mpg has been suffering. Recently two oxygen sensor went bad.
Replaced both. The average mileage went back to 32 mpg from 24 mpg.
I assume that both have to fail before check engine goes on.
My front rotors tend to warp a lot.
One thing that helps is not to use parking breaks.
But I can got fast around the corners, it has a kicking accelaration and mpg has just improved.
It is a nice semi-wagon with a strong enough engine for fun things.

Love the extra storage in the back for putting stuff and enough power to pull an 8 foot trailer full of topsoil. I use it as a commuter during the week, and a truck (when I haul a trailer behind) on weekend. WIth 3.5 v6 I get plenty of pulling power. I can also fit 5 people inside, which is great.

Cd player does not work. The rear mirrors do not work. The lock/unlock does not work. But hey I am getting >30 mpg on freeway, and with the car paid off, I am fairly happy.