Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
To the Maxx
By Amazine

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Our 1994 family Mini-van had to go. Serve us well for those years taking road trips up and down the east coast. I was in the market for another Mini- van until I saw my Maxx on the lot. Never thought I would buy a hatchback or even look at a wagon type vehicle. I narrowed my choices down to the vibe (too small),the new Mazda 5(first year) and the Ford Freestyle. I just love the Maxx from the very first test drive. It has alot more power and it handles extremely well. I went with the LT over the LS, it was money well spent. The heated leather seats, fog lights,traction control,volume controls on the steering wheel,manumantic,the fold flat rear seats are fantastic.

Favorite Features

Power,handling,lots of interior room. Driver information center. Fits my 2 boys in the back with all their luggage for a weeks vacation.

Suggested Improvements

If I had to point something out it would be MPG? 21/29 I don't think it's bad especially since my minivan wasn't that great. Oh and those shades in the back for the skylight will drive you nuts. Don't use them.

Malibu Maxx 2005 wow
By Malibu Maxx 2005

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was reluctant to purchase this vehicle due to several reasons. However once sitting behind the wheel and driving it, I was immediately sold. This is by far the best car I have ever purchased, in the meantime I have test driven many different make and models for comparison. None can reach the Maxx with its performance level and comfortability. It handles very well even with high speed, acceleration rate is excellent. One of those secret jewels, once you drive it you'll love it. In 2.5 years twice in garage for warranty covered issue. Suggestion: purchase leather only if you have children or buy waterproof seat covers. The light beige cloth material stains very easily. Stains won`t come off.

Favorite Features

Acceleration rate - how easy to handle Space in trunk, transported 2 twin beds, 2 twin size mattresses, full size work bench, desk etc in that car. Like a Mary Poppin`s bag - you `ll be surprised what fits in it.

Suggested Improvements

Leather seat covers only. Cloth material stains very easily and won`t come clean. Water stains from shoes and drinks. Seat handles on side should not be out of plastic, they break too easily.

05 Maxx
By Canuck44

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have 140,000km on mine and have had a few problems, I have done the front brakes twice and they need it again, the rear hatch light went on the fritz and started blowing fuses, the intermediate steering shaft needed to be relubed (clunking in corners), the DVD player doesn't play 1/2 of the DVD's out there, the rear wiper stripped and now the rear seat belts detach when I tension the seat belt when installing child seats. I use the UAS instead and am going to install a new one to see if it is any better. Other than that the car has been pretty good, good combination of power and mileage.

Suggested Improvements

make the rear seat wide enough for three car seats, fix the brakes, give a longer warranty

100K and Beyond
By bobd10

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my "05 Maxx with 52k on the meter. I now have 105k. Got hit twice, both side swipes at the front end (1 on each side). Hasn't given me any major problems. Just chenged the plugs, was easy. Put in irridiums, seems like it has better response at high speed acceleration now. Only 2 gripes...the front turn signals melting and the CD player not accepting discs on the first try. Otherwise, great car.

Favorite Features

Adjustable rear seats, power when you need it, gas mileage, roomy, no major blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the melting turn signal lens, better quality CD stereo system.

maximum contentment
By webber1

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have had many cars and makes over the years. The Malibu Maxx is one of the best I've owned (into my sixth year with 80K). Normal maintenace only, couple of wheel bearings, tie rod, ball joints, new steering rack and tail light assembly. Car is into its ninth year and still drives and looks great. (I have treated it with rust proofing every other year) Would consider moving up except there is nothing out there to replace it, so I keep driving this one of a kind car and loving it still.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, peppy performance, appearance, passenger and cargo space. Love the hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

What' to improve?