2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Fleet Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Still Really Love It
By townhome

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Maxx is simply a fantastic car. It gives you so much for so little money an in 4200 miles it has been totally reliable. The interior room, the hatchback, and all of the little features make the Maxx one of the most satisfying vehicles I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Remote start, power pedals, steering wheel radio controls, in dash 6 disk changer, trip info computer, easy ability to program so many personal choices, sliding and folding seats, fold flat front seat, ability to carry 9' sprinkler pipe without doors or windows having to be opened

Suggested Improvements

I have gotten used to the electric steering, but it's still not perfect (I understand the 2005 version is better). Also, the stereo sound quality is not as good as that of the Accord (but better than many cars.)

Great, fun car for the price
By Bill Jones

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After six months of owning the Maxx I am very satisfied with my decision to buy it instead of a Camray or Accord. The car performs great and is getting great all around gas mileage (26mpg). Plus I know I spent $4-6k less than I would have at a Toyota or Honda dealer (I know I lose some of that in resale but that is down the road, the savings were now).

Favorite Features

I really like the performance of the engine, the utility of the hatchback design and the comfort of the interior. I use the remote start option all of the time as well.

Suggested Improvements

Interior, Interior, Interior - when will Chevy (for that matter, all US car manufactors) learn that a few extra dollars spent on the interior really make a difference. Just small upgrades to the knobs, instruments and interior finish would pay big dividends.

Excellent Value
By WALLY

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The LS model is equipped with all neccesary equipment. Only items added were front carpets and a dealer installed pinstipe. The 3.5L engine is peppy,smooth and very economical. My wife loves the electic adjustable pedals as well as the fully adjustable steering wheel. Standard seat controls do a good job. This is one of the best GM cars that we have owned. It meets all of our needs and expectations.

Good comfortable car
By joe

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Though the Maxx (looking at it as a sedan)is not the best looking in its class, the versatility can't be beat. Very comfortable and easy to drive, exceptionally quiet for a Chevy, almost as much room as a midsize SUV (how often do we really haul stuff?), and better mileage than same. My commute is 40 min. one way. The LT gives you enough creature comforts (that, and saving $10,000) to pacify those of us who almost went to the next level and bought that Maxima....almost.

Favorite Features

Remote start is awesome on freezing mornings. You start the car from the house before you put your shoes on. When you get out to the car the rear and front windows are defrosted, and the car is starting to warm inside. You hit the seat heat and you're off. In summertime, the A/C kicks on.

Suggested Improvements

Front end isn't pretty, I call them "bugeye" headlights. Rear hatch is a pain, you have to push EXACTLY in the middle to get it to latch...and not gently.

Liking this thing more and more...
By csandste

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Boy-- two months ago, I didn't know I'd be driving one of these. First test drive seemed a bit too large (I was coming off an Elantra), plus I generally prefer a 5-speed. However, the overall balance of the car, plus its tremendous flexibility means that it's a pleasure so far. Car and Driver and Edmunds both knock the engine for being an OHV throwback to earlier times, but the engine seems very responsive-- if not overly smooth, and gets great gas mileage for a 3.5 liter-- within a mile or two of my Elantra. The electric steering has also received knocks, but I find the feedback and overall road feel very good for a car of this size. Maybe GM is getting better with the '05's.

Favorite Features

Driver center has lots of functions, movable pedals, power everything, funny little sunroof. With the exception of side airbags, a lighted ignition key area, and a sunglass holder this car's got everything the E. had and lots more-- in the base car. Lots of flexibility-- high MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Base upholstery a bit plain jane, think microfiber could be brought to base car with leather on high end models. Black control center and instruments could stand pseudo metal. Side airbags wouldn't hurt. Lighting OK but more of a monochromatic (white) look would be classier.

Back to my roots
By Glen S

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Reluctant to purchase a domestic car after years of owning Toyotas. Couldn't pass up the incentives. Surprising so, it's a much better car than I expected. It handles well, is quiet, a much better looking interior than the bland Toyotas, and it's very versitle when it comes to hauling those Saturday morning purchases. Only time will tell if the quality has improved over my last Chevy's, I sure hope so. But it's still a good feeling to be back in Chevy's, a good old USA product.

Favorite Features

Unique rear compartment options, extra large back seating, styling sets it apart from other clones, and a rather clean looking instrument panel and interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of rear set overhead window, not much use to owner. Add a roof rack as an option. Card holder OK, but windows smear up when using it. Add back transmission dipstick.

Maxx-WOW
By Bob

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I took out out of the lot on the test drive I thought I was at the indy 500! WOW what power! Handling is great and I love the 4 Wheel Disc Brakes adn ABS. I don't really know how the traction control is supposed to work, but then maybe thats the idea? More than enough room. As much versatility as a station wagon at a more practial size. Will give more as I drive more.

Favorite Features

Command console. Horsepower with still great mileage. Front and rear sunroofs. Handeing and 4 wheel disc brakes/ABS!

Suggested Improvements

Remote release for gas cap cover. 5 year warranty bumper to bumper. Free oil changes for service time (am I dreaming?).

My Chevy Maxx:
By Lane N. benda

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

What a neat car. Purchased as 2nd car but has become our main car. Rides as good as my 2001 Buck LaSabre. Very quiet, smooth ride. Had to have rear right wheel replaced due to RPM chip being bad. Love the red color, sun roof and rear roof skylights. Took this car to Outerbanks of NC, great gas mileage. On board computer showed 33 MPG on this trip from PA to NC. Real math showed 30 MPG, still good for a hi speed heavy load trip. Sun roof has a rattle when opened. All in all a great car for the price. Steering a bit hard at times. My wife loves it. Lot of rear leg room.

Favorite Features

Hatch Back. Lot of rear leg room. Fun to drive. Rear skylights. Great fuel mileage. Neat red color. Insde room and space. Rear seat can be moved.

Suggested Improvements

Improve steering. Better looking grill, looks too much like a happy face.

Value Received
By Harry J.

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Well pleased with car, but still think that seats are lackluster in appearnce. GM Division could really have done better. Rear sunroof shade can only be called what it is - cheap plastic that doesn't work. Center console storage needs a stronger hinge to prevent wobble when opening and closing. Head restraints (for some reason) tilt forward at a strange angle. I might try turning them around! Rearview mirror hard to flip for bright lights.

Favorite Features

Ride - Response - Styling - cargo capacity - Rear Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade seating colors, quality, and styling. Rear sunroof shade that is functional. More secure center console storage lid.

My New Car!!!!
By Michele

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 99 Malibu and loved it but it was time to upgrade. I had seen the advertisments for it and seen a few on the road and fell in love at first sight. I love it! The storage in the back, the leg room and adjustable seats in the back, they're great. I love the remote starter. The car is proving to be all I wanted and so much more. The fuel economy is ok right now. I haven't done much highway driving yet so I haven't gotten up to the high 20's in mpg but I'm happy with getting 21 around town. We also got an amazing deal on the car with the reg tag sale and having the GM card. I plan to keep the car a long time!! Love it! highly recommend it as an alternative to a station wagon or SUV!

Favorite Features

I love the info center built into the radio, the rear sun shades, my sunroof, the remote starter, everything! The car is awesome! I also love the 12 volt adapter in the center console for my cellphone charger.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the gas cap, the first time I went to use it I had a lot of trouble with it, the cap in the older models was much better. Also fix the rear sun shades, they are really hard to get closed. Think about making a rear wiper standard, I wish I had one. improve the defrosters too. take to long