Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Not Bad for a Chevy
By Hobbie2k

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because I needed a new replacement for my 1993 Accord Wagon. It still ran great with 240,000, but with a new job that requires 1000 miles a week, it would have to break down eventually. I stopped at the Chevy dealer because of a 50% off promotion. I figured at 50% off even a Chevy would be worth it. Let's just say, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not as bad as I feared. I was thinking it'd be a Lumina wagon, but dare I say, it's all-around a better car than my parent's Nissan (then again, the Nissan is a 2001 with 135,000 miles). This car is a good bargain after the rebates, but for MSRP there are better options.

Fairly torquey V6, lots of space, good value after rebates.

Dead steering, instruments are hard to read, styling could be improved (2006 update is better), V6 isn't a match for imports.

Thrilled to the Maxx!
By xboxt8er

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I will have to say I am a huge truck guy, but when I got a job in outside sales it was time to lay the truck to rest. The gas mileage on this car is great, average @ 26 mpg. The ride is very good and the 200 hp v6 is amazing. The first week I after I bought it we had to make a trip to Detroit about 1000 miles round trip. I am 6'1 and my father in law is 6'3 and we both had plenty of room in the front seats not to mention my sleepy wife and daughter in the back was very comfortable also.

The very racey V6. Sky lights in the back give a nice roomy feature and the gas mileage is unbeatable. The driver information center is very helpful also.

Maybe if the back skylights would at least pop up other than that if you're looking at this car buy it!

The "zippy car"
By Geraldine

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is fun to drive, lots of power, avg 26 mpg. Lots of room to haul skis, and other bulky object with hatchback access. Love heated seats, remote start, auto climate control, traction control is great in snow and ice. Accomodates large people with ease as my husband is over 6' and has plenty of room. The switch control shifter is great for mountain driving and great for hills and control on snow and ice covered roads. GM hit a home run with this car as far as I am concerned. Glad we got the LT model.

The hatchback, heated seats, remote start, seats that flip down for more hauling includes passenger front seat. When you need to pass the V-6 will rock you back in your seat. The car is just great to drive.

I would like to see a mat or tray for when seats are down to protect the seat backs. We cut a piece of marine carpet and it works and looks great but a factory job would be better.

Superb Car!
By Don E.

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my previously owned low-mileage Maxx last November and I have to say it is probably the best car I've ever owned. This car has tons of room, power to spare, unique styling, comfort, great gas mileage and it's a ton 'o fun to drive. In fact, my wife loved it so much we ran out and bought another Malibu for her the next month! Chevy got this car right!

The 3.5L six, the amazing amount of room in the back, and the overall solid feel of the car.

Mew Maxx
By js

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The great gas mileage with such a powerful V6 is what sold me as well as the front and rear legroom. Test drove many cars, imports as well, and couldn't find many with enough front leg room for a tall guy like me, but it's in this Maxx. Value with rebates and features remote start and side air bags.

Leg room front rear, powerful/econonmical V6, features of remote start and airbags,

Front seats could be better and longer..

• SUV