2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Good comfortable car
By joe on 02/22/05 10:51 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Though the Maxx (looking at it as a sedan)is not the best looking in its class, the versatility can't be beat. Very comfortable and easy to drive, exceptionally quiet for a Chevy, almost as much room as a midsize SUV (how often do we really haul stuff?), and better mileage than same. My commute is 40 min. one way. The LT gives you enough creature comforts (that, and saving $10,000) to pacify those of us who almost went to the next level and bought that Maxima....almost.

Liking this thing more and more...
By csandste on 02/21/05 21:53 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Boy-- two months ago, I didn't know I'd be driving one of these. First test drive seemed a bit too large (I was coming off an Elantra), plus I generally prefer a 5-speed. However, the overall balance of the car, plus its tremendous flexibility means that it's a pleasure so far. Car and Driver and Edmunds both knock the engine for being an OHV throwback to earlier times, but the engine seems very responsive-- if not overly smooth, and gets great gas mileage for a 3.5 liter-- within a mile or two of my Elantra. The electric steering has also received knocks, but I find the feedback and overall road feel very good for a car of this size. Maybe GM is getting better with the '05's.

Back to my roots
By Glen S on 02/19/05 13:27 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Reluctant to purchase a domestic car after years of owning Toyotas. Couldn't pass up the incentives. Surprising so, it's a much better car than I expected. It handles well, is quiet, a much better looking interior than the bland Toyotas, and it's very versitle when it comes to hauling those Saturday morning purchases. Only time will tell if the quality has improved over my last Chevy's, I sure hope so. But it's still a good feeling to be back in Chevy's, a good old USA product.

Maxx-WOW
By Bob on 02/13/05 10:15 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I took out out of the lot on the test drive I thought I was at the indy 500! WOW what power! Handling is great and I love the 4 Wheel Disc Brakes adn ABS. I don't really know how the traction control is supposed to work, but then maybe thats the idea? More than enough room. As much versatility as a station wagon at a more practial size. Will give more as I drive more.

My Chevy Maxx:
By Lane N. benda on 02/08/05 13:04 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

What a neat car. Purchased as 2nd car but has become our main car. Rides as good as my 2001 Buck LaSabre. Very quiet, smooth ride. Had to have rear right wheel replaced due to RPM chip being bad. Love the red color, sun roof and rear roof skylights. Took this car to Outerbanks of NC, great gas mileage. On board computer showed 33 MPG on this trip from PA to NC. Real math showed 30 MPG, still good for a hi speed heavy load trip. Sun roof has a rattle when opened. All in all a great car for the price. Steering a bit hard at times. My wife loves it. Lot of rear leg room.

Value Received
By Harry J. on 01/31/05 17:01 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Well pleased with car, but still think that seats are lackluster in appearnce. GM Division could really have done better. Rear sunroof shade can only be called what it is - cheap plastic that doesn't work. Center console storage needs a stronger hinge to prevent wobble when opening and closing. Head restraints (for some reason) tilt forward at a strange angle. I might try turning them around! Rearview mirror hard to flip for bright lights.

My New Car!!!!
By Michele on 01/29/05 21:20 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 99 Malibu and loved it but it was time to upgrade. I had seen the advertisments for it and seen a few on the road and fell in love at first sight. I love it! The storage in the back, the leg room and adjustable seats in the back, they're great. I love the remote starter. The car is proving to be all I wanted and so much more. The fuel economy is ok right now. I haven't done much highway driving yet so I haven't gotten up to the high 20's in mpg but I'm happy with getting 21 around town. We also got an amazing deal on the car with the reg tag sale and having the GM card. I plan to keep the car a long time!! Love it! highly recommend it as an alternative to a station wagon or SUV!

8,000 miles strong
By MaxxFaxx on 01/27/05 05:43 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Maxx last July, and now have over 8,000 miles on it. Every bit as good today as it was driving it home the first time. Great gas mileage, versatile, comfy, reliable. Bought this car to use as a "van" at the World's Longest Yard Sale in Tennessee last year, and it didn't disappoint. There's acres of room for storing and moving, which has come in handy again and again. But I like it because it's a "lady's car". You don't have to jump or climb to get in or out of it. It's got more room than many SUV's, but drives like a lady's car... plus has a ton of great features.

Maxx is cool
By John on 01/15/05 09:07 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

A fun car to drive with superior handling and plenty of horsepower when needed. The instrumentation is user- friendly.

Sporty get up and go
By Deannie on 01/10/05 15:43 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is fun and relaxing to drive and park, it has a great turning radius and can get into hard to park places. My husband loves that. I love the roominess and the skylights in the rear and our moonroof in the front. Plus we go sattelite radio and I love that also. A 6 disc CD player , the sound is great. It has all the goodies that I would expect in a more pricey car. It is quiet, the engine is low sounding and no outside noises coming in, has power when you need it and handles well on ice and snow. The brakes are really good and so far we get an average of 27.6 mpg. We are very happy with it and reccommend it to all.