2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Didn't Last Well
By ChevNoMore on 09/08/10 06:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 42k miles. Right away, started to have trouble starting and the headlights wobble causing a flicker effect (I've noticed this on many other Malibu I've seen at night). Both things were fixed, light problem started again soon after. Drivers door doesn't always stay open, has shut on my leg many times! Around 50k started to shudder at moderate speeds and when braking. At around 60k CD player started to not accept and/or not spit out CDs. The best part: 60k, 5 year old car, a pin shears off, the timing chain snaps, and $4000+ worth of engine damage- almost the bluebook of the car!!! Chevy covered some of the repair costs, but not enough in my opinion- it was a manufacturing defect.

Updated Review 2 Years Later
By Dbadcraig on 07/04/09 06:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

See my original review below dated 11/24/07. I now have 92,500 miles on this well equiped but basic Fleet car. The front end thump remains but is no worse after 20,000 more miles. The engine and transmission are as good as new- no oil use and I have obtained has high as 41 miles per gallon on the highway @ 60mph. I've had to replace warped front rotors, fix a short in side view mirror, new indicator bulb and thanks to a nail in a sidewall, buy two new Bridgestone tires (with the mpg my care gets with them, why change?) I did find the tan interior stained easily--but it also cleaned easily, try "Tuff Stuff" from Pep Boys. Paint, trim and interior is holding up very well.

Great, well-rounded car!
By 2005 Malibu Maxx on 07/15/08 17:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used and have had it for about 3 months now. In this time, I have come to love the style, comfort, and reliability this car offers. I feel safe in it and love to drive it. For the 3.5L engine, it gives off lots of pep and still gets great gas mileage (I consistently get 26-30 MPG mixed driving). It also offers great versatility with the folding down seats and huge rear cargo space. Even with 80k on it, it drives like a new car and is just right for me. The only thing I dislike about the model is that they discontinued making it after '07!

76,000 Miles and Sweet Malibu Maxx
By dbadcraig on 11/24/07 10:05 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a car I did not care for much at first, but we needed another car and the price was right. Well, the car has really grown on me and I now love it. I am incredulous of the odometer reading, this car drives more like a car with 7,600 miles on it (not 76,000). The engine and transmission are wonderful, delivering a good +33 mpg on the highway. Not a drop of oil used. The ride/handling compromise is perfect for everyday use. The electric steering is different, but easy to get used to. Negatives: 1. noise (a "clunk") in the front end in low speed turns that appears to be a common characteristic of the electric steering, 2. the car's heater is slow to warm up the car on cold days.