2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Not total happy with my Maxx
By laurie28 on 05/09/14 13:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Maxx in late 2004. Steering issues every year. GM kept replacing steering. Finally used a "redesigned" component that solved the problems. Tire rods replaced. Recently had loss of power steering. started working after I stopped the car. Chevy will not check it out at no charge. New brakes after 1200 miles. Back seat lever broke off. Driver seat power adjustments broke. Remote start quit working. Key fobs with new batteries still won't open or lock doors. Hatch back won't open and when to Chevy 3 times to get it fixed. One thing. Great handling and acceleration!! I won't buy another GM vehicle. Ever.

maximum contentment
By webber1 on 05/06/14 07:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have had many cars and makes over the years. The Malibu Maxx is one of the best I've owned (into my sixth year with 80K). Normal maintenace only, couple of wheel bearings, tie rod, ball joints, new steering rack and tail light assembly. Car is into its ninth year and still drives and looks great. (I have treated it with rust proofing every other year) Would consider moving up except there is nothing out there to replace it, so I keep driving this one of a kind car and loving it still.

WHO KNEW?
By rogerw5 on 03/12/14 07:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving a Nissan for a while; went to a dealer to check out used Nissans. Walking through the used lot I spotted a 2005 Malibu Maxx; another customer behind me told me "best damn car GM ever produced". Took a test drive and bought it without hesitation...that was 7 years ago. Had the tranny rebuilt...only major fix in 7 years!! Getting ready to buy one for my granddaughter (college student)...she wanted mine...I gave her driving lessons and she also took her driving test in my Maxx. I just went over 133,000 miles! I want to be buried in it!

I Want to Keep This Car Forever!
By maxx_girl on 02/19/14 18:04 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had many cars, new and used, from MBZ's to several other GM cars, and although my MBZ 300 was a work horse, I have never had a car I love more than this. Reliable, attractive, lots of leg and head room, can fit tons of stuff into it, great mileage on the open road particularly, just a great car.

Good Value Car
By aramf on 02/25/13 11:39 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this one used at 60K miles. I currently have 120K on it. Chevrolet replaced the steering wheel on it. The left blinker burned out too often, untill I replaced the whole light from partstrain.com. Over the last 3 years mpg has been suffering. Recently two oxygen sensor went bad. Replaced both. The average mileage went back to 32 mpg from 24 mpg. I assume that both have to fail before check engine goes on. My front rotors tend to warp a lot. One thing that helps is not to use parking breaks. But I can got fast around the corners, it has a kicking accelaration and mpg has just improved. It is a nice semi-wagon with a strong enough engine for fun things.

100K and Beyond
By bobd10 on 05/26/12 15:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my "05 Maxx with 52k on the meter. I now have 105k. Got hit twice, both side swipes at the front end (1 on each side). Hasn't given me any major problems. Just chenged the plugs, was easy. Put in irridiums, seems like it has better response at high speed acceleration now. Only 2 gripes...the front turn signals melting and the CD player not accepting discs on the first try. Otherwise, great car.

Happy Birthday, Baby
By medinamalibu on 06/10/11 10:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx just turned six years old with 61k on the dial. I feel like I'm spoiling it with new tires so soon after replacing the battery, front brake rotors, and front ball joints. The DIC threw a "Power Steering" message the day the battery lost its cranking power, but not since. At five years, the driver's seat developed an amazing squeak, so I learned how to remove the seat and grease the mounts. I deemed one rear skylight shade a loss after a $130+ estimate for replacement, which I indirectly referenced in my three-year update. The Maxx is comfortable and maneuverable, and hasn't given me much of any trouble outside of wear items. Some of them are annoying, and some are rather expensive.

Didn't Last Well
By ChevNoMore on 09/08/10 06:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 42k miles. Right away, started to have trouble starting and the headlights wobble causing a flicker effect (I've noticed this on many other Malibu I've seen at night). Both things were fixed, light problem started again soon after. Drivers door doesn't always stay open, has shut on my leg many times! Around 50k started to shudder at moderate speeds and when braking. At around 60k CD player started to not accept and/or not spit out CDs. The best part: 60k, 5 year old car, a pin shears off, the timing chain snaps, and $4000+ worth of engine damage- almost the bluebook of the car!!! Chevy covered some of the repair costs, but not enough in my opinion- it was a manufacturing defect.

Aging well
By cs on 09/05/10 10:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Update as I approach 90,000 miles-- probably the best car I've owned (out of 30+). Had the infamous steering shaft replaced shortly after warranty expiration, and it looked like it might fail again last year, but it must have healed itself. Other than that, it's been reliable and an extremely comfortable, flexible car. Took me several months to get used to electric steering, but once you get used to it, it's fine.

just thought the Maxx would be more...
By oct 2005 on 02/26/10 20:00 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great acceleration w/the v-6 engine. Left with doubts about brakes and steering and the sub-standard braking. Had to replace rear brake pads @ 58000 miles. What A Pity!!! Then you have the interest with the intermediate steering arm assemblies that have given so much crap to those who have purchased the electric power steering groups.