Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Incredible Car and I Don't Work for Chevy
By Maxx J'Adore

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is an old car by now so there's nothing I would say to new (used car) buyers. I'm here to go on record to say that I have never never had as reliable and easy to maintain car as this Malibu Maxx. I'm amazed at the bad reviews. Did I get a Supercar by mistake? I have had Mazdas, Olds, Fords, Dodges, absolutely nothing compares to the performance of this cheap little car. Bought it for 14K with 35000 miles. Now has 237000 miles and DRIVES EXACTLY LIKE IT DID ON THE CAR LOT. I can't explain it. It's only had regular maintenance.

Great Car!
By Nick

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx with 80,000 miles. I had to put about $1,000 worth of repairs due to the steering shaft. The car is coughing or sputtering three or four times before turning over. The car does turn over eventually. This happens very once in a while. Not everyday If any else is having this problem please let me know. Otherwise the car run and drives great. Headlights are very dim or foggy due to so much sun. They are horrible in the dark and rainy. I am looking to buy new ones. The comfort is great, it has cruise control and cold AC and hot heat. The hatchback is very roomy and has lots of cargo room.

WHO KNEW?
By rogerw5

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving a Nissan for a while; went to a dealer to check out used Nissans.
Walking through the used lot I spotted a 2005 Malibu Maxx; another customer behind me told me "best damn car GM ever produced".
Took a test drive and bought it without hesitation...that was 7 years ago.
Had the tranny rebuilt...only major fix in 7 years!!
Getting ready to buy one for my granddaughter (college student)...she wanted mine...I gave her driving lessons and she also took her driving test in my Maxx.
I just went over 133,000 miles! I want to be buried in it!
UPDATE (03/14/16): Just went over 197,000 miles...the "Maxx" is still in great shape...have had several "do you want to sell" to which I answered with an emphatic "NO"!! Purchased a 2007 CTS a couple of years ago but spends most of my driving time in the Maxx...a great, great purchase!!

Good Value Car
By aramf

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this one used at 60K miles.
I currently have 120K on it.
Chevrolet replaced the steering wheel on it.
The left blinker burned out too often, untill I replaced the whole light from partstrain.com.
Over the last 3 years mpg has been suffering. Recently two oxygen sensor went bad.
Replaced both. The average mileage went back to 32 mpg from 24 mpg.
I assume that both have to fail before check engine goes on.
My front rotors tend to warp a lot.
One thing that helps is not to use parking breaks.
But I can got fast around the corners, it has a kicking accelaration and mpg has just improved.
It is a nice semi-wagon with a strong enough engine for fun things.

Love the extra storage in the back for putting stuff and enough power to pull an 8 foot trailer full of topsoil. I use it as a commuter during the week, and a truck (when I haul a trailer behind) on weekend. WIth 3.5 v6 I get plenty of pulling power. I can also fit 5 people inside, which is great.

Cd player does not work. The rear mirrors do not work. The lock/unlock does not work. But hey I am getting >30 mpg on freeway, and with the car paid off, I am fairly happy.

100K and Beyond
By bobd10

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my "05 Maxx with 52k on the meter. I now have 105k. Got hit twice, both side swipes at the front end (1 on each side). Hasn't given me any major problems. Just chenged the plugs, was easy. Put in irridiums, seems like it has better response at high speed acceleration now. Only 2 gripes...the front turn signals melting and the CD player not accepting discs on the first try. Otherwise, great car.

Adjustable rear seats, power when you need it, gas mileage, roomy, no major blind spots.

Get rid of the melting turn signal lens, better quality CD stereo system.