Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu-maxx - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Created acount to post this..
By mpatricio

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car my grandparents bought brand new. Was given to my mom and then to me. It currently has 229,000km now on it. Needs transmission work for afew years now. There is a knock in the car whenever you turn right, costs 500 bucks to fix. This car has 5 recalls on it atm.. for power steering which the steering cut out on me on the busy highway as I was merging. This car has had nothing but problems over the past 2-3 years. Changed the alternator like 5 times in 2 years. Constant little isuses, enver buying a gm after the 68 and counting recalls ALONE in 2014 for chevy.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

bringing chevy down

Buyers Beware
By Jennifer Davis

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a lot of problems with this car over the years. Researching a little I discovered that many people have had the same problems. The latest problem is the engine deciding to shut off while in the middle of driving. There doesn't seem to be any clear direction as to what causes this. Within the first 3 months of purchasing the car I started having brake problems. I had to get the brakes replaced within 6 months. The "DAB" warning shows up periodically (the dealership says it is not anything wrong and they just clear it). My CD player still doesn't work (2 replacements).

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive for a tall person.

Suggested Improvements

This wouldn't fit within 300 characters.

steering, ball joint,
By Gil

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new and the first year was great. Power, handling, comfort, no repair. Then it started. I now have 90k miles, I replaced the rack and pinion steering column at 70k, the struts at 78k, the ball joints at 90k. The cruise control started giving me problems at 50k miles, goes off by itself. The shifter automatic stopped working right about the 50k miles range. I drive like a little old man, careful and slow and I maintain this vehicle at every squeak. I wouldn't buy another one.

Favorite Features

Interior space is excellent, very roomy,

Suggested Improvements

Should have been better made or give a better warranty.

Didn't Last Well
By ChevNoMore

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 42k miles. Right away, started to have trouble starting and the headlights wobble causing a flicker effect (I've noticed this on many other Malibu I've seen at night). Both things were fixed, light problem started again soon after. Drivers door doesn't always stay open, has shut on my leg many times! Around 50k started to shudder at moderate speeds and when braking. At around 60k CD player started to not accept and/or not spit out CDs. The best part: 60k, 5 year old car, a pin shears off, the timing chain snaps, and $4000+ worth of engine damage- almost the bluebook of the car!!! Chevy covered some of the repair costs, but not enough in my opinion- it was a manufacturing defect.

Favorite Features

Roomy. Backseat has cup holders, moonroofs, and split-folding, sliding, reclining rear seats. Engine decently powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Make hatch latch easier to find/more apparent. Overall: build a decent reliable vehicle, or at least take responsibility and improve the customer service when something this bad happens.

We got a lemon
By GLen

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Right up front, the stock tires are crap in deep snow. The car does fine with replacement tires from Firestone, but you should add the cost of new tires if you get severe winters where you live. At 17,000 miles the timing chain snapped and destroyed the engine. At 34,000 miles the steering column and other parts of the power steering had to be replaced defective. Since the 36,000 mile warranty ended both ball joints and control arms have been replaced as well as the right CV. And from about 40,000 miles on it's idle and general feel have been getting generally bad in feel, like something else is about to go. Worse than the 175,000 mile Ford Taurus we traded in for it.

Favorite Features

Roomy inside, though plastic molding in hatch area wastes space. Seats are reasonably comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of construction and extended warranty to at least 50,000 miles! The stock tires are terrible in snow, and the wheel wells accumulate snow and ice like no other car I've owned. Better quality material and finish on the interior.